Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robinson622

Any ideas to improve this master bath layout?

14 years ago

After getting wonderful advice on the kitchen forum for my kitchen layout, I thought I'd do the same here and see what you think about my master bath layout.

Here are some things you should know. The original closet came out as far as the linen closet, but I thought there should be a separate linen closet not just a walk-in. When I did that I realized how small my closet became. It is awfully skinny too, but not sure how to help that. DH and I will share the closet. I'm not one to have the need for a closet that big all to myself. Most of it will be mine anyway. DH is a P.E. teacher so t-shirts and sweats are his attire.

Also I bumped the bathroom into the bedroom some to give it more space. The wall was originally in line with the door to the bedroom.

The tub isn't a must. I really think I'd rather do without it. I know there is a big debate and many posts on this subject. I just know I have taken probably 2 baths in the 10 years I've lived in this house. Plus, money and budget is a concern. If anything I'd probaby like to have a larger shower. Not too huge!!

I've tried several layouts myself and I just can't decide. The most recent one I put the toilet where the tub is with possibly a door for privacy. DH says in our 13 years of marriage he's never been in the bathroom while I'm "busy" or vice versa. He's right, but don't we women second guess everything. I flip-flopped the sinks and the shower, put the linen closet and a towel bar where the toilet was and got rid of the tub. I don't know how to do the computer stuff to show that, but you can probably picture it.

Please understand that I'm considering any and all options. If you have an idea for moving the closet out of the bathroom, or walking through/by the closet to get to the bathroom, that is fine. I just may fall in love with those designs.

Thank you in advance for helping me. I feel like I've stared at this room for so long I can't see straight.

Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: master bath

Comments (10)

• 14 years ago

In a bath that size I would definitely want a separate toilet room with a door.

To make it easier, here's your picture:

• 14 years ago

Moving plumbing for a toilet can be expensive and if money is a concern, you may want to leave a toilet where it is. From a hygiene standpoint, turning the toilet area into a WC is a good idea.

If you're not a bath person and you're not planning on selling in the next few years, go with a nice shower instead. There is absolutely no rule that you have to have a tub that never gets used.

• 14 years ago

Thanks, terriks! I need to figure out how to do that.

This is an addition/remodel, and pipes aren't there yet. Is it still expensive before hand? If it is, I won't change it. Money is an option unfortunately. I guess I could close off the toilet right where it is.

I'm trying to decide where the windows will be in the bathroom without the tub. If I keep the bathroom the way it is and just remove the tub there will be a large empty space.

• 14 years ago

The tub is taking up a lot of space. If you won't use it, and resale won't be a consideration for a long time, get rid of it in favor of a larger shower and closet. If you lose the tub, extend the vanity a few more feet (more counter space and storage below), put a linen closet in the corner, scoot the shower down and make it 5'x4', and make your closet 3 feet bigger.

If you want to keep the tub, then what about moving the pocket entrance door to the left and adding 12" (or even 18") deep linen storage on the WC wall facing the vanities? 11 feet is a lot of floor area and you could easily add that without feeling cramped. Then your closet could get 2 feet bigger.

A third idea: can you post a view showing the whole master bedroom along with the bathroom? There might be an option putting the bathroom on the other end of the bedroom, and that might allow for a different/better configuration as well as utilization of the wasted hallway space.

• 14 years ago

Thanks for the ideas weedyacres. This is our forever home, so resale is not a concern right now.

Here's a view of the master bedroom. Attic access will not be in that room as indicated.

{{!gwi}}

I think the bath will have to stay toward the back of the house so the pipes, etc. line up with the downstairs. We live in a 10x12 room now, so I don't know how much room we'd like in the new master.

• 14 years ago

You've got at least one other tub in the house if you get the rare urge to soak -- I'd leave it out and save yourself the money.

Since this is your forever home, I'm going to suggest two other considerations.

One, can you stack closets with a closet on the 1st floor? If so, you have a place to add an elevator if that becomes necessary.

Two, if you do stack closets so adding an elevator is possible, right now you can't get into your master bedroom in a wheelchair; you just can't make the turns. (Actually, that whole 2nd floor is completely inaccessible.)

If you have an accessible bedroom on the ground floor already, the above is moot.

• 14 years ago

The dining area is below our closet unfortunately, but that's some good thinking - wow! We do have three bedrooms downstairs, but this is an addition/remodel so there will be changes on the first floor. The bedroom walls will stay pretty much the same, just their uses will change. One will be a workout room, another will be a guest room/office and the third will be a bedroom/den for my dad. They all could potentially be made back into bedrooms fairly easily if needed.

Yes, I think I'm going to skip the tub. The kids' bath has a tub, so that should be fine. We won't have one downstairs.

I tried to do a mock up of what weedyacres said using my paint program. It's a pretty sad attempt, but I'm still concerned with the window placement.

{{!gwi}}

• 14 years ago

since these are just plans, put the toilet room in the top left corner, the shower to the left just inside the door - facing toward the toilet room. move the window between the shower and the TR.

run the vanity from the right wall of the TR over to the small closet. you could leave tha window about where it is for needed light and put the sinks to the right of it. if you put on make up that natural light would be good for putting it on. you might even have a few ft of lower counter there for a make up table.

where the toilet is now line the walls with shallow floor to ceiling cabinets for linens.

drop the inner wall of the little closet and run the big closet door on an angle from the left wall of that small closet over to the other wall.

if you want a longer vanity (want to add that space for makeup) use the space you did have for the small closet and let the big closet stay as is.

if you don't want a make up area, you could still run a larger vanity counter (lots of drawers / storage underneath) and put the window between the 2 sinks/mirrors.

btw - will the bedroom door be big enough to get furniture in with that hall turn? it's more difficult getting a large dresser etc thru a door on a turn from a hallway.

• 14 years ago

You bathroom has so many possibilities. If you never take a bath then ditch it, otherwise your going to get stuck cleaning that big piece of real estate. I didn't quite understand if this was a totally new construction or not cause there was talk about moving toilet v. not moving. Here is my suggestion If you leave the toilet where it sits make it into a room with a door even with frosted glass. Next put in a swinging door rather then a pocket into the bath saves money works better. Put the shower where the tub is, its nice and big and where you show the shower and walk in linen closet put your long counter for sinks It will make nice focal point when you walk into the room. Get rid of the 2ft wide by 3ft deep linen it is way too deep and will be uncomfortable to use. I know a couple of people with deep closets like that and they are very unpractical. Next and this is a win win, where you show your sinks that whole area could then become a 2nd walk in closet! Now you have a his and hers WIC. My suggestion over on the existing closet move the entrance towards the exterior wall. when you put in your sink counter where i suggested it would only need 2ft of depth from exterior wall, which then gives you the ability to move the opening to the closet over. This way you can run your closet rod to the wall. The way you have it now your walking into the end of it, This also gives you a few more feet of storage. One thing i did in my closet that I love is use your corners of the closets for shelves. I made shelving towers in each corner and each shelf holds about 5 - 6 pairs of shoes or purses. Some I use for sweaters. It keeps everything off the floor and then the clothes rods hang from the towers. It makes great use of the corners. The bottom of the shelves I made so a pair of boots could be stored upright. It as been a great decision. Well I hope I helped you and you could follow my train of thought.

• 14 years ago

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I'm a teacher and back to school night was tonight, so I was preparing for the parents for the past couple of days. Gotta impress!

I'm trying to picture your ideas. I think I have it, but it would be so helpful if someone could chime in with some visuals for me. I'm going to work on putting together desertsteph and jjaazzy's ideas.

Thanks
    Lori