Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vermonter_2009

Bath plans! See here. Anything we're missing?

14 years ago

We are getting ready to install the plumbing in our master bath and are seeking any ideas that we may have overlooked. This is a renovation of a former bedroom in our mid-1800s house. All the framing, electrical and insulation (urethane foam) is in place.

We need to still need to pick out floors (probably cherry or a similar wood), a drop-in tub, which will reside in a tile surround, a 36" vanity, and the tile for the shower floor and walls. The shower door and wall will be thick glass, as will a wall dividing the shower's bench and the tub surround.

Any recommendations on a simple 5' x 3' soaking tub (we're not interested in jets or anything fancy)?

Any suggestions in general?

Thanks in advance! This site has been invaluable for our planning and design work!

Vermonter

Comments (18)

• 14 years ago

if the shower door opens the way you have it, won't that be a bit clumsy with the step there? or is it just 1 step and that area is flat floor?

the tub looks like that back area would be difficult to access for cleaning.

• 14 years ago

Just one step there. You're right about the back of the tub being a little difficult to clean. We can live with that though.

It took us a while to figure out how to place everything, but I think we're on the right track.

• 14 years ago

Looks pretty good, but where will you hang your towels?

• 14 years ago

That's a good question. We were thinking of hanging the towels on the all near the radiator. I will be a bit of a reach (a step really), but I don't see another obvious place. Plus, the radiator will warm the towels in the winter!

• 14 years ago

Did you choose one sink for a reason? A 36" vanity is pretty small, especially for 2 adults. You have 3 windows so why not close up the one window next to the shower and wrap the counter around the corner so it butts up to the tub? Its not expensive to do and then you'll have 2 sinks and a LOT more counter space; all of which are more expected in a master bath. I know others will chime in with objections to my comment, but I'm a Realtor and that's been MY experience. You didn't mention if your plumbing is done already but it's something to consider.

• 14 years ago

Can you move the pocket door towards the radiator or is it too late? Then at least you can put a hook on the wall.

• 14 years ago

I think desertsteph is right I would change the swing of the door on the shower. I see you have a window behind the toilet. Is this a first floor bathroom? You might just be mooning the world each time you go! I love windows and I do like a light bright room but you have 4 windows in this room. That's a lot of windows for a bathroom. I can see having the tub windows and maybe the one by the sink but depending on how you want the house to look from the outside you might want to rethink this window.

• 14 years ago

Ha! No the bathroom is on the second floor and that window is a half window, and it sits quite above the toilet. The remaining windows are in their original location and we wanted to preserve that look - plus we love the morning light they provide. We will have to use privacy blinds at night, but you can't see into the bathroom during the day.

We can't move the pocket door because it's at the end of a small hallway, which will have small walk-in closets on either side. There will be room near the radiator for two towels.

We specifically opted for one sink over two. My wife is also a realtor, but this house is for us and we are renovating it to our tastes. We hope to be in this house for the foreseeable future.

• 14 years ago

I'm not sure why you're asking for outside opinions then? Seems like you have it the way you like it and it's a go!

• 14 years ago

I'd switch the vanity and the shower and remove the window. I'd also relocate the radiator, put the toilet there, and build a pony wall.

• 14 years ago

That looks good house! I think the glass showers are so pretty to look at when you walk in. That also solved the issue with the deep recessed tub area. Cool! But, I think they said they were already ruffed in.

• 14 years ago

Even if you only want/need one sink, houseful's plan gives you the option of more storage in the vanity. I'd swing the shower door the other way, though.

• 14 years ago

Think houseful's ideas are great! When you walk in you face a beautiful glass shower and the tub is no longer blocked by the shower. The size of the double vanity is more in scale with the rest of the room/pieces. Also love what she did with the toilet, both for the privacy and I don't like walking into a bathroom and immediately seeing the toilet before anything else. Just my opinion--hope you find something that works for you!

• 14 years ago

You didn't mention lighting so that may be one thing that is missing from the plan. I would put one can over the shower and perhaps two over the tub. Lighting at face level on either side of the vanity mirror is nice. Good luck and please post pictures when you are done!

• 14 years ago

Wow! Thanks houseful! That was one option I did not consider. I really like that layout.

My biggest hesitation is losing the one window. We wanted to keep the exterior design unchanged. Nonetheless, we could still make these changes- the plumbing and floors have not been installed. The framing is complete and has been insulated with rigid foam, which would make it messy to clear out the electrical already installed, but not a huge deal.

Hmmmmmmmm...

• 14 years ago

you can still keep the window...

• 14 years ago

That would give our neighbors something to talk about!

• 14 years ago

You could close up the window on the outside using a ghost window. Meaning, you keep all the exterior window trim in place, but cover up the window itself with the same clapboard or whatever the rest of the house is covered in. It's a common technique in historic houses when someone wants to preserve the balance of the facade.