Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

Ideas for heating a remote bedroom safely?

16 years ago

We've got a remote guestroom that obviously isn't usely all that frequently. During the winter we use gas fireplace inserts in our great room & master bedroom to heat up those areas nicely without having to resort to central heat. That strategy save us a lot on heating bills.

However, there's a chance that we might have a family member stay with us for a couple of months this winter. Is there a way we could safely heat that remote bedroom separately without having to use the central heat?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Comments (4)

• 16 years ago

How big is the remote guest bedroom?

Maybe an oil-filled electric radiator will do the trick. They're quiet as they have no fan, and they put out 1500 btu-hr on high.

• 16 years ago

I bought one of those oil-filled radiators. What a waste of money. Had to stand next to it or pull it right next to the bed to tell it was on. Not very radiant at all. I ended up getting a Monitor Heater (2200) My family uses these (bigger models) to heat their entire houses and they are really efficient. I will paste the info on them here. The 2200 has an optional drop in tank so you won't need any special lines. Just set it up. I ended up putting the bigger model in and heating the entire home for under $500.00 and I don't have any ceiling insulation. (I'm in Ohio).
    Â Highly Efficient: 93% Gross, 88% Net
    Â Safe: UL approved, Child Lock Function, Cool to the Touch, Sealed Combustion Chamber (No Fumes), Automatic reset after power failure.
    Â Convenient: Thermostatically controlled. Feature a time and temperature setbacks allowing you to custom tailor your home heating system to your lifestyle.
    Â Easy Installation: Includes all Parts, Directions & Templates for Standard Installation. Step by step guide that walks you through a simple consumer manageable installation in a matter of an hour or two.
    Â Technology: Monitor uses the most innovative technology and superior workmanship to offer a consumer the very best product available.
    Â Direct Vent Systems: Eliminate cold air infiltration using outside air for combustion, instead of warm in home air. Once your home is warm, it stays warm.

Install any time  no chimney, basement or special carpentry required. Existing system can stay in place. ItÂs odorless, quiet and programmable.

Model 2200 (k-1) (New for Â04) 22,000 BTU
    Heat : 1,200 Sq Ft
    Fuel Consumption Average: .16 gal on High to .07 gal of Fuel on Low
    Heated Air Delivery max: 176 CFM
    Standard 3/8 Fuel Fittings

this is the information on the first one I bought. It was great!!

Go here: www.shafferdirect.com

• 16 years ago

Brita, I was actually thinking about a direct vent heater. The idea of a drop in fuel tank sounds intriguing. Thanks for the link. I live in the Sierra Foothills near Sacramento, CA. So there are a lot of people using different heating sources. I know I've seen direct vent heaters advertised in our local paper but just never paid much attention to them. I'll definitely look into them.

• 16 years ago

Wow. Brita: sounds like a commercial for Monitor Heater 2200. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought that this was a set-up question between shambo and Brita. But I do know better. Too much detailed commercial-type info to be a real post. How convenient, safe, and cheap is it? You are cold-busted.

Maybe the "Monitor Lizard" is a scam.