Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldmike_9

Need opinions on new furnace and AC

13 years ago

I live in Boston area in two-story, 1900 sq ft concrete home. I am going to replace Amana furnace (AIR Command model GH75-3. MNF Number P69590-03F. 75000 BTU/HR) and Amana A/C (Cannot reach the label). The Amana equipment is 20 years old. I believe the size of the old system is correct since it is comfortable in the house.

I would appreciate any help in determining whether the proposed equipment is appropriate for my house, and whether all these pieces of equipment will work well together. The quote of $7200 includes:

TRANE 95 AFUE DIRECT VENT UPFLOW GAS FURNACE 60000BTU 3 TON DRIVE model TUH1B060A9361A

2.5 TON TRANE XR13 CONDENSOR -R410a UP TO 14 SEER model 4TTR3030A1000A

TRANE LARGE SCREEN HEAT COOL HEAT PUMP PROGRAMABLE THERMOSTAT model TCONT600AF11MA

2.5 TON TRANE R-410A HIGH EFFICIENCY CONVERTIBLE CASED COIL COOLING/HEAT PUMP model 4TXCB031BC3HCA

PAB3 CONDENSATE PUMP

ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT PERMIT

GAS PERMIT PIPE AND VENTING

The price for an optional APRILAIRE MODEL 2410 MEDIA AIR FILTRATION DEVICE WITH MERV 13 PERFORMANCE 16x25x5 is $265.

Thanks.

Comments (9)

• 13 years ago

You haven't been quoted a bad system, and all these components are compatible. It isn't a top of the line system, however, and with that in mind the price does seem a bit steep. Perhaps you're just dealing with one of the better, more expensive companies in your area. At least it does not appear that they "oversized" the system which will lead to problems down the road. That furnace should qualify for the $1500 tax credit, which I'm sure you've been told about. It may be worth looking into the XV95 furnace, which has a variable speed motor and has a 2-stage gas valve (high and low heat). The variable speed motor can be configured to help control humidity in the summer. The 13 SEER a/c is fine since you don't live in a climate where it stays warm for a large part of the year, although I'm not sure what your electric rates are like. If you go with the XV95 furnace then the XR15 is a nice upgrade on the a/c side for both efficiency and noise reduction (though neither unit would be considered loud by most people). The TCONT802 is a nicer thermostat that you might try to get them to include at no additional cost.

To summarize, the system you were quoted is fine, but in terms of efficiency and features, the XV95 and XR15 are worth looking into. Problem becomes - will the added upfront cost pay for itself down the road. Such is the case for the media filter - it provides better filtration and you only have to change it once or twice a year, but you're spending more upfront.

• 13 years ago

RyanHughes, thank you for your valuable feedback.

I am going to include media filter as a better filtration makes me comfortable with upfront spending. I also will ask my contractor to upgrade TCONT600 to TCONT800.

You mention that the quote price looks a bit steep. What amount do you have in mind? I do not know if some items included in the quote are standard or they can drive the price up. These items are:
    VENT THE FURNACE OUT THE BACK OF THE HOUSE OVER THE CEILING (The VEN should go through 2 closets in finished basement), HARD WIRED BATTERY BACKED UP CO DETECTOR, CO ALARM, INSTALL 2 PIPE TO 90 FURNACE 50FT, CLADLITE PRE-CAST PAD FOR CONDENSERS, INSTALL DRAIN PAN WITH WET SWITCH SECONDARY DRAIN TO 2-3.5 TON SYSTEM.

Thanks a lot for you help.

Mike

• 13 years ago

oldmike

I will assume you are sized correctly.

Since you are considering a dual fuel system,I suggest you carefully evaluate your electric and nat gas rates.

you might consider dropping the HP to the AC version and adding the 60K two stg var speed XV95 gas furnace.

at the minimum, I would want a 4-5" pleated filter media cabinet and Trane's 802 or 803 thermostat. Same is available from HW usually at a reduced cost.

IMO

• 13 years ago

TigerDunes,

Thank you for your input. According to Ryanhughes and yours postings I am going add 5" media filter for additional $265 and upgrade to Tran's 802 thermostat. My budget not allowed upgrading to two stg var speed. As ryanhughes mentioned $7200 is a bit steep for Trane's 95 AFUE gas furnace 60000BTU 3 TON model TUH1B060A9361A, 2.5 TON TRANE XR13 CONDENSOR -R410a model 4TTR3030A1000A and additions described in my previous post. I have no clue what the average price can be.

Thanks a lot for posting.

• 13 years ago

If you were getting the variable speed, 2 stage furnace and a slightly more efficient a/c, then the $7200 price would make a lot more sense, but for a basic system, it's steep by around $4-700 if you ask me. I understand they need to run PVC venting, and that involves more time and materials. Perhaps they could also include the media filter in the $7200 price tag to win the job. I'm usually not one to comment on pricing, since it varies by job and by area, and since we can't see the job from our PC screens, but you're talking about nearly $7500 for a basic system once you include the filter. It is possible that the price is slightly inflated bearing in mind you will receive the $1500 tax credit (correct?). Boston is probably like DC and any other metropolitan city where the bigger, more reputable companies can get away with charging a bit more, whether the equipment is worth that much or not. Many times the finished product is worth a bit more when you take into account trained staff, insurance, warranty, etc. Not sure if the company you're hiring resembles this profile or not.

• 13 years ago

oldmike

I agree with Ryan. In fact, I would say the pricing is even higher than he suggested.

Are you getting this quote from same dealer as your thread from August 19?

you ought to take that quote and update that furnace to the XV95 two stg var speed model.

I hope you are getting quotes from other dealers. I still would drop the idea of the HP and go with the XV95 or similar furnace. And BTW, same HVAC is available from Trane's sister company AmStd and is usually less expensive.

The XR95 furnace you were quoted above while 95% eff is just a standard grade condensing furnace. Nothing special here.

IMO

• 13 years ago

Ryan and Tiger,

I truly appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.

Tiger, so far I got 2 quotes from different companies. The first one I got in August. I dropped this contractor because he included a 17 seer AC for Boston area. Now we are discussing the second quote for $7200 or $7500 with media filter. The proposed equipment in these quotes so different that I cannot compare these quotes.

Ryan and Tiger,

Let me see if I understand. The proposed system is fine but $7500 is $1000 above the average. I will get back $1500 tax credit, $400 rebate from Gas Company, and $25 for thermostat. Please, excuse my illiteracy. There are 3 items in the quote - gas furnace model TUH1B060A9361A, Condensor R410a model 4TTR3030A1000A, and COIL COOLING/HEAT PUMP model 4TXCB031BC3HCA. The advise is to replace the furnace with XV95, the condensor with XR15, and drop the coil? Again, I am sorry for this question. Actually you are talking to drop HP. Do you mean to drop COIL 4TXCB031BC3HCA? How much furnace and condensor upgrade can cost?

Thank you for the help!

• 13 years ago

oldmike

I would go back to your August 19 thread. Link attached.

Change the furnace to the XV95 60K model and the AC condenser to the XR14. see performance/eff numbers below.

1417232 Active Systems XR14 TRANE 4TTR4030C1 4TXCB032BC3 *UH2B060A9V3 31000 12.50 15.00 1

I would want Trane's 803 stat or exact identical Honeywell model. Add the 4-5" pleated filter media cabinet.

A very nice system.

IMO
    Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: August 19 thread

• 13 years ago

Tiger,

Thanks for the recommendations. I will work with contractors to make this system a reality. I really appreciate you postings.