Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avg2319

Which Photos are most important for potential buyers?

17 years ago

Hello,

We are selling our house and I was just curious which pictures most people want to see before viewing a house. If you can choose 5 views, what would they be? Our realtor has front of house, backyard,dining room, formal living room and living room. I am not convinced that these are the best rooms to showcase.

A little about our house

Our house is 15 years old in a regular cookie cutter subdivision. It has been updated-new wood floors throughout, secondary bath has new flooring, 1/2 bath was completely gutted and we installed new corian counters, master bathroom gutted and remodeled with everything new (granite shower and granite counters), we have four bedrooms, formal living room, formal dining, eat in kitchen has wood floors and corian, family room, and a finished basement.

I know that the market is slow now, and just want to make sure that the photos chosen don't make our home get overlooked.

Thanks for your opinion!

Comments (19)

• 17 years ago

Front, backyard, kitchen, master bath, great room

• 17 years ago

I would always include a picture of the kitchen.

• 17 years ago

Front of house - many people will not even look at your listing without a picture of the front of your home. Curb appeal is extremely important, so make this shot count.

Kitchen - People want to see the kitchen

Bathroom - master bath or the second bath the rest of the bedrooms have access to.

Living room - if there is a great feature like a fireplace, Cathedral ceilings, etc.

Backyard - especially if there is an in-ground pool, a large lot or pretty gardens.

WTH is your realtor thinking not showing an updated bath or the kitchen - unless your kitchen is in rough shape?

Also, if the market is slow ask to see the pictures before your realtor puts them up. We seem to have had a ton of threads lately with few showings, and most can be traced to terrible photos that wouldn't entice anyone into the homes. Sometimes, it is worth getting a professional to do it.

• 17 years ago

Definitely the kitchen and since your MBbath is updated I'd include that too. So Front/Back, Kitchen, MBath, Great room

• 17 years ago

If your in a cookie cutter house/neighborhood - is the picture of your backyard important? Larger lot? Mature trees? Nice porch, deck, fence? I guess what I'm saying - is there a reason to include it? Aren't most of these neighborhood lots the same? Definately kitchen. Personally I don't feel the need to see the toilet but others like it:) I would pick the nicest bathroom you can get a decent photo of and the nicest living room (neutral paint color? fireplace? vaulted ceilings? picture window? and use that one if your limited to 5, rather than use both.
    Generally, but not in your case - I like more outside shots but that's usually because I'm looking at rural properties and am more interested in the surroundings than the house. I've never understood why people who are selling a rural property or acreage will have one shot of the house and 12 interior shots (toilets, square ordinary bedrooms)

• 17 years ago

Unless you have a spectacular back yard, I'd skip that one.

Front view, Kitchen, Master BR & Bath, Family Room. Why would you be limited to five photos? If you've got it, flaunt it! Foyer, LR, DR, powder room, back yard terrace or patio, finished basement...whatever.

• 17 years ago

If you are limited to 5 views, I would choose them carefully. I agree that the street view and kitchen are important, and the main living area - living room or great room. The other shots should be of the areas you think show the best. I hate looking at pictures of average bathrooms (especially with the toilet lid up), empty corners, etc. I'm amazed at what some listings include. Be sure all of the clutter is removed have the shots taken in the best possible light.

• 17 years ago

For me, I would want to see the following, in order of importance to me.
    1. Curb view of the house
    2. Kitchen, if I don't see it, I assume it is really bad.
    3. Backyard
    4. Your home's best public room, that isn't already represented (living room, dinning room, family room, sun room, great room, whatever has the best feature)
    5. Master bedroom or master bath, whichever is nicer

• 17 years ago

The 5 most appealing shots you can get!
    Not every house can get even close to 5.

You got upgraded wood floors, you take a pic of that?
    High end kitchen upgrades, you take a picture of that.
    Tiny back yard? Then skip that one.
    Garage-Mahal with no curb appeal or landscaping? Then show an interior room instead.

• 17 years ago

I like the outside curb appeal and the backyard. Next would be the kitchen. Aside from that square rooms are basically square rooms, that if need be a wall could be added or removed rather inexpensively - that's why I always think it'd be nice if someone added a diagram of the layout.

• 17 years ago

I always want to see a picture of the front of the home, and always want to see the kitchen, if you have a formal dining room it's nice to include that shot so that people realize there is a formal dining space. Likewise I like to see the master bedroom and if there is an ensuite bath, show me that as well. I'd round it out with either the backyard or the finished basement. Whichever one of the two is more appealing.

so my five choices :
    1. front of house
    2. Kitchen
    3. Dining room
    4. Master bedroom
    5. back yard or finished basement

• 17 years ago

It's not just which areas to show BUT how the shots are taken that counts.
    IF I'm a buyer tight on time I want to see close up shots of the house showing as much detail as possible while giving me the overall feel of the place.
    I don't want to see your closets or the 1/2 bath off the kitchen they aren't going to swag me till after I've checked off my big must haves. I want to see the larger rooms the ones I'd use everyday in the most flattering light possible to get me there and put the house on my list of possibles.

• 17 years ago

For me, it's front of house, backyard (I have kids and this is important in a family home), kitchen, bathroom and a main living area (family or living room).

We used those photos for my own house, even though my kitchen is dated, but my realtor mentioned if you don't put the kitchen and at least one bathroom, people assume the worst (like it's so bad, it wasn't shown). And I have to agree from the listings I've gone to tour, the kitchens and baths were REALLY bad whenever they weren't shown, so now I assume the worst.

• 17 years ago

front
    kitchen
    bathroom
    whatever the 2 best rooms are - living/dining/bedrooms

• 17 years ago

Unless the bathrooms are large enough to get a decent picture, I'd skip that. Also.....make sure the pictures reflect the HOUSE, not the furniture. I don't know how many times I've seen bedroom pictures looking directly at the bed and dining room pictures showing a table, chairs and chandelier.

• 17 years ago

Front of house - if it's not included I wonder what they're trying to hide.

Kitchen - expensive to change if you really hate the style or layout.

Bathroom - as for kitchen.

Living area - whichever one photographs best, show features of room, eg window, fireplace, built-in shelves.

Another living area or master bedroom or outdoor entertaining area.

I agree with Redcurls, don't emphasise your furniture. Pictures of furniture make me wonder whether the room is too small to be photographed, or if there's something out of view that I need to know about, or if the realtor is sloppy and would be a hassle to deal with.

• 17 years ago

Kitchen, bedroom, living, fromt house, bathroom.

• 17 years ago

Anything updated/renovated should be in a picure of whatever room it is in. For example, if you list 'new wood floor in kitchen', take a picture so the floor can be seen~same for new tile in bath'rms. A beautiful fireplace, built-ins, crown moulding, new windows/doors, new cabs/counter tops, beautiful gardens/landscaping, pool, or any property that is outstanding or out of the ordinary.

Paint isn't a feature item, but new siding would be. ;o)

patty_cakes

• 17 years ago

Hi
    Thanks for all your comments! We went with front of house, finished basement,formal living/dining room area (shows wood floors off well), kitchen and the remodeled master bath.

Best of luck to everyone selling their homes!