Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wish2okc

Walk me through negotiating this lease

16 years ago

So, I found a house to rent on rentalhouses.com that looks perfect for us. Problem is they want a 15 month lease. We want 6-9. Haven't seen it yet or even called on it. How would you all suggest trying this? We truly would be great tenants. We have owned numerous houses. Any time we have rented the owners always got their units back way cleaner than when they rented to us. Would it be wrong to ask for a showing knowing there is no way we would lease for 15 months? Help please!

Comments (5)

• 16 years ago

Why is it that you want a 6-9 month lease? Will you be buying?

Don't say anything UNTIL after you see it. You may feel the owner out & see how desperate they are.

Most decent rentals don't want to invest in a short term lease. It's a lot of work & money prepapring the rentals for occupancy. Been there, done that.
    Many buyers to be, need a situation like that & cannot find short term rentals.

Why don't you say 9 months & then suggest a month to month with a 30 day notice? Maybe they'll go it.

• 16 years ago

They'd have to be VERY desperate to accept a 6-9 month lease. They need to pay the property management company, incur cleaning, painting, possible carpet replacement expenses, etc., etc.

Good luck

• 16 years ago

well, considering what xamsx says their concerns would be:

Maybe they'd consider a shorter lease if you could alleviate some of that for them.

A big security deposit, which you know you'll get back bcs you'll leave the place in such great shape, might alleviate their worries about having to pay to have it cleaned, painted, etc., for the tenant after you.

So might your agreeing to periodic inspections while you live there--if they think they'll be able to see that you're taking good care of the place, that might make it easier.

A requirement of a 60-day notice for month-to-month might make them less worried about how to replace you when you leave.

Be sure to give them good contact info for former landlords, and assure them that they should specifically ask about what sort of shape you left the place in, esp. compared to how it started, but in general, as well.

• 16 years ago

I would expect to pay a higher monthly amount for that short of a lease. Even those who really do take good care of a place may not realize the wear and tear which occurs just from the moving process. It also is more work for the landlord in the sense of all the little details like inspections, utility changeovers, etc. I only have to do it once a year with a longer lease, where a short lease doubles or triples my effort for the same results.

It is really going to depend upon the rental market there. I would certainly go look at the place and see if it would meet your needs. We have found that people often stay in the rental much longer than originally anticipated. We always had the option for the tenant to go on a month to month basis after the original lease period was over and many exercised that option.

There's more to it than just the renter taking care of a place. Be aware that a history of being a home owner may not be a selling point to the landlord. The landlord has no one to call to see if you a good risk. As a homeowner myself, I know we are pretty hard on stuff. Frankly, I took much better care of apartments as a renter, than I do with property I own.

Gloria

• 16 years ago

Thanks for all your answers. We wanted a short lease cause we intended to buy soon but I am rethinking that. I spent all day looking at expensive rent houses that are just horribly filthy, so dirty I don't think I'd ever feel like touching anything. And these were in very nice, upscale areas. Right now, if I could just find a clean place I think I'd sign any term of lease!