Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susiequsie60_gw

Attractive ice bucket?

12 years ago

I'm on the lookout for a pretty ice bucket that I can keep out on our new bar area. I'm happy to say that we've been really "using" our new space and it would be very convenient to have an ice bucket out on the bar. Anyone have one they would like to share a picture of? Just thought I'd throw this out there...

Thanks - SQ

Comments (13)

• 12 years ago

Do you have a preference for stainless, copper, ceramic?

• 12 years ago

Every antique store and second hand store I've ever been to is filled with great looking, inexpensive ice buckets (circa 1930s to yesterday). You'll also find lots of other bar equipment in second hand stores.These seem to be some of those items (particularly from the Mad Men era) so many people clearly got as wedding presents and never used. (They are much more charming than the boring ol' Crate and Barrel ice bucket we got when we got married.)

• 12 years ago

Oops...I guess I should have been a little more specific with what I was personally looking for, huh?

My new kitchen is on the country side and what I consider mellow and sort of plain. Don't read plain as bad, just not really fancy. It has plenty of "vintage" type pieces that I (or my late mother-in-law) picked-up in antique stores. When my family and I were scouring antique shops a week ago (upstate NY) I wasn't looking for an ice bucket, so I don't remember seeing any. (Funny how that works.) I've been "googling" all morning, trying to find something I like. So far nothing is jumping out at me. I was hoping someonoe here might just post a pic of theirs and I'd fall in love. Just like with celineike's wall clock!

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions! SQ

• 12 years ago

Don't know if you'll "fall in love" with my Michael Aram Bark ice bucket, but here's a pic of ours on the rt corner of our buffet, and a link to all the ice buckets on his site (he might have a few others, from other "collections," like his Black Orchid collection, but they aren't on the site???):

He has some other beautiful ones as well (my other fave is the Wisteria Vine ice bucket). You can often purchase his stuff at a discounted price @ Bloomingdale's during their Friends & Family events, or various coupon or sale events.

Here is a link that might be useful: MA ice bucket link

• 12 years ago

cat mom - Wow. Those Michael Aram buckets really are beautiful. Even though they seem to be more modern than I would normally like, there is something about them that really appeals to me. I especially like the "olive" design. Unfortunately, they are a little out of my price range. Maybe if I can find something at a discounted price...

Thanks for posting. SQ

• 12 years ago

My ice bucket isn't particularly beautiful and I don't care!!

I was given an OXO Good Grips ice bucket. It's stainless with black plastic, clear lid and a side car for the tongs (they also make all plastic, but that doesn't even pretend to be pretty). It is the best insulated ice bucket I've ever seen!!!!!!!!!!! And I've seen quite a number of insulated ice buckets. At the end of a long, hot party there are still ice cubes inside.

So...okay, it's not hideous, but not beauteous. The shape is attractive, but not particularly stylish or artistic. Still, the ice stays cold and melts slowly, you can operate it one handed because the lid is hinged, and the tongs don't fall on the floor because of the holster (though you can remove that if you want).

Cat_mom and I share a love of Michael Aram, but while I envy her paper towel holder, I can't bemoan the amazing functionality of my OXO.

• 12 years ago

You know what, plllog? I definitely don't think it's bad at all. I just "googled" it to have a look. I'm keeping a very open mind about this...

SQ

• 12 years ago

Mine is "copper" from home goods it matches my sink. This is a pic from our christmas dinner party... Pardon my messy kitchen.

• 12 years ago

roarah - I like that alot. Wish I could find something similar in an oil rubbed bronze (like my faucet). That's sort of my "metal of choice." Haven't seen anything though. Was in Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, and HomeGoods today and didn't see anything that bowled me over. Guess I'll just live with what I have until something out there jumps out at me.

SQ

PS: I love your sink and your faucet...and it looks like a great Christmas party!!

• 12 years ago

plllog--function often trumps form for us, though sometimes form wins out.... LOL! I was afraid the paper towel holder would be more of a form thing, but it actually functions a lot better than I'd have thought it would. The ice bucket does function well (there's a removable inner liner bucket, BTW). Our OXO paper towel holder worked very well for us, but the Botanical Leaf holder is soooo pretty, I couldn't resist! :-) :-) :-)

SusieQuisie60--with the exception of perhaps one or two pieces, I think we got every single MA item in our home at a greatly reduced price and/or nearly free, with gift cards, rewards, coupons, sales..... (not only at Bloomies, but at Neiman Marcus, using one-day only gift cards--and believe me when I say we do not spend a lot of $ there--far from it). Keep your eyes open, and play your (credit) cards right!

• 12 years ago

the copper looking drink tub in my pic was a cheap red metal tub from walmart that i spray painted with copper paint to match sink and ice bucket it might be worth a try finding a plain and inexpensive ice bucket and buying oil rubbed bronze metalic spray paint and see if it might look ok. Good luck:)

• 12 years ago

Yeah, Cat_mom, just tell me about it. :) When I was asked in a casual conversation what features I thought made a good ice bucket, I said, "Good insulation, a hook for the tongs and a way to open it without setting down either lid or drink." Little did I expect that would lead to the gift of the OXO!! So I have to sigh at the pretty pictures of the pretty ice buckets and be content that mine has a sidecar and a flip lid. :)

• 12 years ago

Sidecars and flip lids can be fun! Besides, you never know when you'll find yourself "needing" another ice bucket--one for indoors/one for outdoors? Upstairs ice bucket and downstairs one??? LOL