Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benfb

too wide of hole in island countertop

9 years ago

I've already posted a thread in the appliance forum about cooktop choices, but this thread is asking more about design options.

I've got an island in our kitchen with a 46" cooktop with downdraft ventilation. The long term plan is to completely remodel the kitchen but for this year, I only have a budget to replace the cooktop. The problem is that I have a hole in my island countertop for a 46" cooktop, but we want the replacement cooktop to be induction, and no one sells a 46" induction cooktop. So if we buy a 36" induction cooktop, I'll have 10" of extra space on the size.

Ironically, at the same time that I have too much width, I have too little height. That is, I still need to add downdraft ventilation and none of the induction cooktops come with that integrated. So that means I need to add a pop-up downdraft system along the top of the cooktop, which in turn means cutting another 3" out of the island countertop.

So what do I do with that 10" of extra space if drop a 36" cooktop into our 46" space?

Thanks.

Comments (9)