Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris12_gw

where do you hang your calendar?

16 years ago

I want to find a place to hide my calendar in my new kitchen. Where does everyone put theirs? I was thinking if there was a way to put cork on the inside of a cabinet and hang it in there? I know there are alot of clever people out there who probably have some better ideas! Thanks.

Comments (14)

• 16 years ago

We had gotten cork from our KD for their cab installer to install on one door, and a piece of metal that would hold magnets for the other door. The plan was, for the calendar to be hung on the cork with a push pin. Well, they sent a nice thick, heavy duty piece of cork, with a gorgous cherry frame to go around it (stained to match the cabs). Both the cork and the frame were way too thick and would have necessitated cutting back the pantry shelves and setting back the one pullout drawer much more than we wanted (way too many inches lost).

So, we scrapped the cork and frames, had them get metal for both doors (looks like SS), and had them affixed (glued directly) to the insides of the doors. The metal on the one door is slightly shorter to allow us to put a small screw above for hanging my calendar (everyone said--don't use a nail, it will loosen up over time....Do you know how difficult it was to find a thin, small headed screw that wasn't too long or too short to screw into the cab door?). Here are some pics (not great):

full sized metal sheet:

Slightly shorter metal sheet with screw just above (calendar taken off to show the metal):

By the way, the shelves were cut back about 1/4" (if that), and the pullout set back by the same am't, to allow for magnet/papers/calendar clearance.

• 16 years ago

I was just wondering the same thing for my new kitchen! We're having the cabinet fronts put on our fridge and I don't have a spare wall. I'm anxious to hear all the ideas here.

• 16 years ago

I've thought about hanging a magnetic board on the inside of one of the pantry doors, but if I don't open the pantry every day it could end up being out-of-sight, out-of-mind. I may still put a board in there, but probably won't hang the calendar on it.

Bought a decorative framed corkboard for the laundry room and that's where I'll probably hang the calendar. The litterbox will be in that room, so I'll be going in there every day.

Here is a link that might be useful: bought something similar for $20 at Marshall's

• 16 years ago

I haven't figured it out yet, but though Cat_mom's idea looks good, it wouldn't work for me. I'd forget having a calendar in there.

I keep a desk calendar/journal next to the phone and that's what I've been using, but would love a bigger one...

Keep the ideas coming though, maybe someone did find the perfect solution :-)

• 16 years ago

As I get older and more forgetful, I need the calendar where it will stare me in the face. I love the beautiful framed corkboard. Thanks for the idea and the link.

• 16 years ago

One of the things I'll be losing with my lovely new kitchen is my favorite calendar ever. It's four magnetic weeks with lots of lines in each day, dry erase. When one week is done you move it to the bottom and push the other three up, then erase the bottom one and start over. (I also have a small datebook for carry along and recording stuff that I need to remember long term.) I can see this one on the freezer from anywhere in the kitchen, including seated by the phone.

Pretty is probably worth it, but I might have to get a metal sheet like Cat_mom's on the outside. :D

• 16 years ago

I buy a calender from The Country Store every year and my husband made a frame for it. It is on a wall in my breakfast room.

• 16 years ago

Mine isn't hidden and not done fancy at all. I had mine on a painted wall near the doorway, by the kitchen. It's held up with sticky tack LOL and I use a paper clip to hold the past months up. It worked for us but when my kitchen gets done I hope to encorporate it in the message area.
    Here is something I found and admired......but it needs a folding door or something : )
    {{!gwi}}

• 16 years ago

Well, this is pretty low tech. but I've just used tape inside the cabinet. As you flip the pages/months, you can just tape the bunch together first, and then tape the whole thing up.

I tape lots of stuff inside my cabinets. Photos, recipes, notes, etc. Regular scotch tape. Sometimes blue painters tape, if that's all I have on hand.

Francy

• 16 years ago

I've kept my calendar inside a cab door since we moved to this house (9 yrs ago next week!!!). I stopped covering the outside of my cab doors with post-it notes, but still tend to have notes to myself or mail, circulars, etc. sitting on the table top, isalnd and/or msg center. I am working on that though and make an effort to purge weekly!

• 16 years ago

In the office! :-) And one in the "shoe corner" (place under the stairs)!

DonnaR/CA

• 16 years ago

My garage door is right outside the kitchen doorway and it's metal. So my calendar hangs from a magnetic hook there. It's not as convenient as it used to be but I'm getting used to it. I stick things inside my cabinets with tape all the time, too. Mostly frequently used recipes and kid's lunch id numbers and things. But I have ADD and definitely need my calendar out and in my face!

happyladi, which country store do you get your calendar from? Is it one of those dishtowel ones from The Vermont Country Store? Or do you have something that can be written on? Do you have a link or a picture? Inquiring minds want to know!:)

Thanks!
    Robin

• 16 years ago

I use the computer calendar. I'm on here every day.