Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jord_board5

Did I lose all my dahlias

9 years ago

I have had a bunch of Dahlia plants the last couple years and because of where I live I have to dig and store the tubers. Last fall I had a newborn baby so my wonderful husband stepped in to do the dahlia tubers. I thought he understood how to divide the tubers correctly but sadly this spring g when I recently got them out of storage on close inspection I realized that although the tubers were nice and firm and looked good, very few had starts on them or eyes somehow my darling husband had divided them incorrectly....did I lose all my dahlias I only have 4 tubers with starts and they are the ones I divided to show him how to do it. :'(

Comments (7)

• 9 years ago

Well said, Lin. :-)

Jord, due to the number of tubers you have, you might consider putting a layer of moist (not wet) potting mix in the bottom of a big plastic tub, putting a thick layer of tubers, moist mix, tubers, moist mix... Think parfait. "Everyone likes parfait." Top it all off with a couple loose shopping bags, to keep some of the moisture in but to not invite mold. Don't put the lid on. Check in three weeks, then pull out each tuber to examine it for an eye or sprout.

As Lin said, you'd be amazed where eyes pop up when you could have sworn the tuber was a dud. I have gone through my 'dud' crate four times in the last couple months, every time taking out around a third of the tubers that decided to sprout. Granted, these are mostly tubers that I saw potential eyes in the fall, but there was a good number of "oh, what the heck, let's wait and see" tubers, too.

Good luck,

CiCi

• 9 years ago

Yeah I knew I was in trouble when I saw how they had been divided I was just hoping that I was wrong. I will try the moist potting soil and hope I get something back! Can't get mad at the husband for trying to help me out.

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it!

• 9 years ago

It's been a week... Any eyes yet? My fingers have been crossed for you!

• 9 years ago

Just went through them today and yes a few eyes have developed on one's I never would have guessed, but sadly only a few I think 4. But hey that's 4 more than I would have had if I hadn't tried the moist potting soil! Haven't given up on the rest just yet!

• 9 years ago

cicivacation: Quote - "Check in three weeks, then pull out each tuber to examine it for an eye or sprout".
    I currently have a few tubers and small clumps that are either in a tray or pots of compost. No sprouts have appeared yet, but roots are coming through the bottom. Will it affect the growth of any sprouts if these roots are either damaged or removed when the tuber is pulled out?

• 9 years ago

I normally experience a 'settling-in time' when the roots are moved to the dahlia bed and get re-established, were the top growth is temporarily delayed. Cold soil will do that, too. Ranges from a week to two weeks, depending on the plant.

However, others have reported no lag of growth, and expressed surprise that it is something I expect as matter of course.

Regardless, there should be no damage to the top growth by transplanting it when young.