Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mako174

Bromeliad Questions - Removing Inflorescence & Pups

8 years ago

A month or so ago, I picked up a bromeliad from the Lowe's clearance rack for something like $6 or so. Right when I got back, I started researching them, only to find out that the bloom is a sign of its last days (or year). My questions are as follows:

1. Does chopping off the mother plant's bloom help the pups develop faster?

2. Is there a time-table for pups to take root? Mine look slightly stressed compared to when I removed them from the mother, but I presumed that was just a normal thing.

3. The pups I removed don't seem to have a cup that can hold water yet. Is this fine/do I need to water/mist more frequently to compensate?

4. In the following pictures, you can see the pots the pups are in. Are these too small? I believe the pots are 4" pots.

Thanks in advance!

Steven

Comments (6)

• 8 years ago

You should get pups but these aren't fond of hot temps.

• 8 years ago

Awesome, thanks!

I've made a habit of feeling the exterior of the pots (which seem to feel a bit cooler when more moist) as well as the top of the medium on a fairly regular basis. I also leave a spray bottle next to them and probably mist them every day or two.

When I first put them in the 4 inch pots, it was intended to be a temporary thing. I got eager to remove the pups from the mother and didn't have anything larger. I have a major test at the end of the month, so almost everything I've done for all my plants has been with the mindset of "make sure they're okay until the end of the month."

Regarding the potting mix, the mix I'm using is Al's gritty mix. I'm still learning it's properties and how to handle it. I've made a few different batches of it, with the earlier ones probably having been done improperly as some of the plants placed in it developed root rot. I'm pretty sure it's because I didn't filter out the fine particles very well combined with being in a glazed pot indoors and probably being watered too often. That said, though, I've taken a more cautious approach recently. I have noticed that the terracotta pots dry out quicker, and have come to really appreciate that for succulents.

I looked at some pictures I took of them right after potting and compared them to their current state, and it definitely appears like they're growing -- leaves have become notably longer. Is this likely indicative of root formation, or due to their epiphytic nature could it just be because of that? I've also moved them to another east facing window with a more constant bright indirect light and slightly cooler.

Thanks again for the detailed post,

Steven

• 8 years ago

Hi everyone.

Steven - Just one other thing I forgot to mention, I don't know about in the U.S. but terracotta pots here in Australia are noted for having just a central drainage hole of insufficient size. To enlarge it as we do here, soak the pot in water for twenty four hours and then take a hammer and blunt nosed punch and just nibble a little at a time around the edge until you have enlarged the hole to an acceptable size.

All the best, Nev.

• 8 years ago

Oh interesting, I have a terracotta bowl that has had water retention problems with everything I've ever set up in it. Each time, though, I assumed there was some error on my part be it with the watering frequency or medium composition. Coincidentally, I just ordered a bunch of masonry drill bits and glass/tile drill bits because I have some pots/containers that I'd love to use but that have no drainage holes.

I'm about to turn this terracotta bowl into swiss cheese lol. Kidding, but I'm definitely going to add some drainage. Might even add some extra holes and just put insect screen over em.

Thanks again!

• 8 years ago

I just stuck a blade in the hole and ground away in a circle to make the hole bigger.