Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christopher_rivello

Need help choosing new a/c unit

Hello,

I live in a 26 year old 2800 sq ft home in Cincinnati, OH. I have lived here almost two years. I am looking to replace a 26 year old Trane XE800 3 Ton unit. I currently have a 7 year old XV95 variable speed gas furnace with an ecm that I am not looking to replace. I have had three reputable contractors come out. All of them said after doing manual J to replace with 3 ton unit. All of the quotes included the following. New refrig lines, new wiring, new outdoor pad, new outdoor disconnect. All of them said that the thermostat I currently have is fine and would not need to be replaced. Here is where the quotes differ.

Quote 1 Bryant

Recommended 16 Seer single stage 116BNA Legacy. The warranty covers ten years of parts and labor. Final price is $4,240

Quote 2 Trane

Recommended 16 Seer single stage XR16. The warranty covers 10 years parts and 5 years labor. Includes one year of maintenance. Final price $4,351. This contractor also gave me a price for moving the unit from the back to the side of my home for an additional $200

Quote 3 Amana

Recommended 16 Seer single stage but did not provide model number. 10 years parts and 5 years labor warranty. Lifetime warranty to replace unit if compressor fails. Final price $4,833. This contractor did not recommend moving the unit because he said the additional length would degrade the efficiency of the unit.

Can anyone provide their two cents. If you need more info let me know.

Comments (8)

• 8 years ago

Provide the complete model number of your nice XV95 furnace. I want to know the size of the blower motor. On your quotes, you failed to mention the size of condensers dealers quoted. I personally think you are undersized by at least a 1/2 ton. How did existing condenser perform as far as summertime comfort? Post back.

IMO

• 8 years ago

Sorry the furnace had two numbers on a sticker attached to the side. The first is TUH2B080A9V3VAB the second is 9391NGP1G. All of the units quoted are 3 tons. The manual J came back for a three and a half but all three said that the current ductwork would not support the larger unit. Also, they all asked how comfortably the house heated and cooled. My lot has a lot of trees and I feel like the house was very comfortable both in the winter and summer. My highest electrical bill during the summer is usually around $220. So based on my input and the fact that there would need to be major ductwork they all felt comfortable keeping a three ton unit. Let me know if you need anything else or if those are not the right numbers. I am about as ignorant as it comes where HVAC is concerned.

Thank you

• 8 years ago

Easy...I like a complete AHRI matching system of same brand...why mismatch when you don't have to...that would be a mistake...go Trane and you want and should insist on best matching Trane evap coil, no third party brand acceptable...request AHRI matching number from your quoting dealer...make sure you understand the warranty and who backs it up...I assume the parts warranty including compressor comes through Trane...who warrants the labor, the installing dealer?...what thermostat are you using?...is it a true 2 stage thermostat?...how do you filter your return air?...

IMO

• 8 years ago

Since you already have a very nice variable speed furnace, I think you should consider spending a little more money and getting a 2-stage AC. I think Cincinnati has humid summers. The low stage would be very effective in lowering the humidity and making you more comfortable.

• 8 years ago

Thank you for all of the advice I appreciate it. The warranties for the labor are through the dealers. All of the dealers have been in business for more than 50 years and are local companies. I know that is not a guarantee of them not folding but I think less of a risk than a smaller company that has not been in business as long. The thermostat is a Honeywell/Trane XI802 TCONT802AS32DAA. I have a Honeywell media filter cabinet that filters the air.

Mike

All of the dealers quoted single stage. They all said my ducts are too small and the two stage a/c unit would be a waste unless I wanted to add a significant amount of duct work.

• 8 years ago

Wrong thermostat...not surprised...that's nonsense about the 2 stage AC being problematic but that's probably a budget decision for you to make versus comfort...this idea about duct size should be explored before you make final decision...too broad of a statement...but if you are happy with the comfort level of existing 3 ton, then you should be OK...not sure you could go up in condenser size anyway with that blower rating on the XV95 furnace...just curious, how many returns do you have?...HW media cabinet is acceptable...I assume it takes a 4-5 pleated media filter...

IMO

• 8 years ago

A 3-ton 2-stage compressor will not require more ducting than a single stage 3-ton compressor.

• 8 years ago

Chris,

I would be suspect of the contractor who said your ducts are too small to handle a 2-stage 3 ton condenser. This makes no sense. When operating in the high stage, the 2-stage condenser will require about the same air flow as a single stage 3 ton condenser.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets