Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ianjl

some suggestions for optimizing the layout/space in my new kitchen

8 years ago

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to best optimize the space of the new kitchen. We actually have more cabinet space then we are using right now, including drawer space.

The main thing right now I'd like to figure out is a better way to store the microwave, toaster oven and coffee maker. They are just sitting on the countertop now which seems ugly and a waste of counter top space.

In this layout, on the top right corner i have the toaster, microwave, stand mixer and coffee maker. That takes up most of the counter space on the left side. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as how to better optimize that space. I'm open to getting some sort of cart or shelf etc

thanks

Comments (8)

• 8 years ago

I would place your stand mixer in corner under diag cabinet..pushed back at times when not in use. I would leave toaster out on counter on left side of kitchen,somewhere near window. people can toast their bagels/toast/etc ,and turn and sit at island and consume it. the microwave needs a cabinet-the GE undercabinet model can be installed under your 33 in wide cabinet to left of diagonal cabinet. I assume you don't have a dedicated cabinet to place microwave inside...

• 8 years ago

The microwave can go into an upper cabinet or you could buy a lower drawer microwave.

You can buy a pop up for the stand mixer and store the mixer in a lower cabinet.

Do you drink your coffee in the kitchen? If not, you could put a coffee bar in the room where you normally drink coffee.

The toaster, in my opinion, needs to remain on the countertop if you use it regularly. Some people are willing to put the toaster away every day I am not one of them. I have seen some people put a toaster in a drawer but I don't like the idea of a product to get super hot hidden in a drawer.

• 8 years ago

I keep my toaster in the super susan in the corner, but I don't use it every day. I don't find it a big deal to pull it out when I need it.

I have a small MW with a round back, so it tucks neatly into the corner, out of the way.

How often do you use your mixer?

• 8 years ago

hi thanks for the suggestions.

There isn't enough room to install an under cabinet microwave - there's only a few inches of clearance now with the microwave sitting under the cabinets.

practigal- what do you mean 'buy a popup' ? We normally drink coffee where ever. We don't actually make coffee that often. The microwave gets used daily. Toaster is probably every other day or so. Coffee maker even less frequently. And mixer less still - although i think that will go up a bit shortly.

also just to clarify, on the left side window, at what is the bottom in the layout picture, there isn't enough counterspace to store any of the items without blocking the window, other then maybe the coffee maker. also, there's no outlets over there. The closest outlets are on the top of that window under the cabinets. Otherwise I think i would have probably gotten a little corner stand/cart and put most of those items on that cart.

• 8 years ago

To be up to code, you probably need an outlet to left of window. It shouldn't cost much to have one installed if you have enough room on your electrical box for one. If a cart fits by there and you would like how that looks, sounds like it should resolve most of your problems.

I might have read the suggestion wrong, but I think the recommendation was to modify that cabinet so a microwave could fit in the bottom part. Not to hang a micro below the cabinet. You could also just modify it with an open shelf to set the microwave on. Cheaper to replace it when the microwave dies.

• 8 years ago

your right there should be an outlet there, but the contractor screwed up

hmm....putting the MW in a cabinet might work even if looks a little weird

• 8 years ago

Hmm, i dont think we could store the microwave that way since the cabinets are all prefab and it's basically particle board with a plastic veneer front. So there's no way to cut them and not have it look bad.

Unfortunately the same goes for the popup. all the lower cabinets have draws on top. So we'd have to remove all that and then see if i we can get a cabinet face that would fit the new larger opening. Since it's all prefab I kinda doubt we can do that :( I'm going to check with the guy who ordered the cabinets though and see.

It would have been an awesome thing to do though.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!