Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cozisback

Need a Laundry Sorter Hamper/Basket.

7 years ago

Thoughts on something like this?

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001F51AM6/?tag=thesweethome-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=SH3264

Open to other suggestions and recommendations.

Comments (20)

• 7 years ago

I have a similar one, packed away, LOL I prefer using the kitchen floor haha.

• 7 years ago

Looks like each bag does not hold a very large load and might be a pain to take and return bags from the cart. I use these:

http://www.storables.com/large-white-laundry-basket.html

They are light, easy to fill up and ventilated. I use four of them to sort my laundry; whites and darks delicate and white and darks regular. I have a separate bin for towels and bath mats.

I would not say they are beautiful, but they are housed in my master closet and their function trumps all.

• 7 years ago
    Those are nice FC. I need something that will go either in our master bathroom or master bedroom. Our master WIC is only a 6 x 5.
  • 7 years ago

Oh, well mine are probably too voluminous then. And if it's going to be in your bedroom or bathroom, you'll probably want something that is nice to look at. The Steele ones are nice, but expensive:

https://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/collections/3-bushel-steele-canvas-laundry-bin/products/567491a84cfed7f88c002abb?cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Shopping&cm_pla=default&cm_ite=default&kwid=productads-adid^74519372316-device^c-plaid^132444888036-sku^E8013-adType^PLA

Have you tried poking about on Pinterest (putting in laundry sorter) -- sometimes some pictures will point you in the right direction.

• 7 years ago

We have two of those, Cedric, except ours doesn't have handles on the bags, and we have smaller castering twin wheels on each corner like you might find on an office chair. Those wheels are the only thing we don't like, as they easily trap hair around the axle and you can't clean them, so the wheels don't spin well. The larger single wheels on the one you showed looks like it won't have that problem.

We average 1 full bag per load in our aging/dying Kenmore top loaders. We never remove the bags from the cart. Rather, the whole thing is wheeled down to the laundry room and emptied into to the machine by hand straight from the trolley.

• 7 years ago

I may just build a 4 or 5 bin piece of furniture for our bedroom.

• 7 years ago

I bought a bathroom rack from IKEA (molger shelf unit, tall with small footprint) and purchased four baskets from Homegoods (one for each shelf). I labeled the baskets as to what was supposed to be put inside each. I really like being able to just pick up a full basket, presorted and ready to go and take it over to the washing machine and dump it in. The issue that I have with that big thing on rollers is that I don't have the space for it, either in my closet or in my "laundry room" which is actually in my kitchen unfortunately. I also don't want to have to roll the whole thing around.

• 7 years ago

I have the equivalent of Cedric's 3 sack hamper. It stays in the basement and collects DH farm clothes. I occasionally take a bag of underwear upstairs to wash if I'm really doing catch up laundry. I also have one of those soft plastic hampers in dark brown that @fencer shows in my bedroom. I like both. The industrial rolling basket is too large for my living areas. I like the 3 sack cart because it helps divide my colors.

• 7 years ago

I have this problem too because I have so much laundry to do it is literally never caught up. I always have some sitting around. I have one huge wicker hamper for my two younger kiddos clothes, my husband has his own big tall plastic vented hamper on his side of the master walk in closet, I have my own on my side, and another huge one in the middle for the endless sheets and towels. I finally got my oldest (23) doing her own laundry. About time lol. I also have a small basket tucked away on the side of the fridge for the towels/rags that pile up. my son has pee accidents overnight pretty often so those sheets/blankets /mattress pad get washed right away and often puts me behind schedule for the rest of the laundry since I have to wash those twice, (pre wash then hot wash).

• 7 years ago

Practigal is this the one you're referring to?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20154591/#/80241454

My only problem here would be loads would be to small to wash efficiently.

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have this exact one (similar to the one you posted, but with an extra third rod under the bags which I think adds stability) and absolutely love it - it's nice and sturdy, I use the rolling function more than I expected and I love that I can sort everything by color and carry just one section to the washer.

The bags fit quite a bit - 2/3 loosely packed is a full load in my 2 cu.ft. Miele, and are very easy to take on and off the hamper.

I actually kept this in my Amazon cart for a while - kept going back and forth on whether I needed it, but in the end it's one of my favorite laundry accessories.

Cedric Owens thanked recordaras
  • 7 years ago

I have one similar to the one in the link you posted but my 3 compartment bag is sewn together...I've been using that thing FOREVER and it's still going strong. It happens to fit perfectly in my little hallway/laundry area.

• 7 years ago

I use a large wired hamper with a removable canvas bag for laundry except bath towels that go in a wicker clothes basket after they dry. I also keep a small/medium sized wicker basket in the laundry room off the kitchen for kitchen towels. I prefer to sort on the floor. I rarely get company so no ones going to walk in and see my piles of laundry, LOL bed sheets don't go in the hampers/baskets at all, they come off the bed amd into the machine.

• 7 years ago

Since my pedestals were back ordered and it has been over 3 weeks, it gave me time to think over our laundry room, so I stopped into ApplianceSmart today and canceled the order. I've decided to remove the right uppers and stack our units. It will give me space to build/buy a properly folding space where I can have baskets beneath.

• 7 years ago

Yes, that is the one. I do have small loads. That's partly why I only wanted a compact washer...even with a compact washer I have a hard time getting to a full load unless I'm doing the sheets and towels. Your situation may be very different. But I still like the idea of not having to cart all of the laundry around when you only want to do one load. Usually I get up in the morning and check to see if there is enough laundry in any one of the baskets and if there is then I take it to the washer and get it started while my coffee is percolating...

I think adding a folding space to your laundry area is an excellent idea. Is there any reason you can't just put countertop right across the washer and dryer as they are and stack your laundry baskets instead?

Cedric Owens thanked practigal
  • 7 years ago

With the doors of the pair, I don't have any place to stack the baskets.

• 7 years ago

Cedric, we have one very similar to the one you posted from Amazon.com. Ours is not as fancy but it does the job. When a bag is stuffed full, it is just right for a full load on our front loader. Our bags are like flour sack cloth and we have no wheels, but we have room next to the dryer for it so I just unload one of the sacks into the washer.

Cedric Owens thanked nerdyshopper
  • 7 years ago

FC...I have one of those, they are great. The only problem is, one of the handles has already broke. That's ok, it is well over a year old and it does have another handle. The fact that it is flexible helps me to be able to carry it down my switchback stairs.

• 7 years ago

I think the key things are to measure your space and decide what will work for your family and fit in your space.

Cedric Owens thanked practigal