Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessm007atyahoo

6 cm granite edge disaster

6 years ago

I had much-anticipated granite installed today. We chose two stones - a black leathered Nero Orion for the surround, and an amazing Sedna for the island. We chose a chipped edge for the island, and paid for the extra 6 cm edge finish detail. This is what was delivered. Obviously, I've got to talk to the fabricators to work out how to fix this disaster, but wondered if anyone has any advice about how to proceed. Can the extra piece just be removed? Is the whole stone a scrap job now? Can it be smoothed out to hide the seam?

Comments (26)

• 6 years ago

The second image shows a spot where the seam color could be adjusted to make it blend better but overall it doesn't look bad. What part is bothering you?

• PRO
    6 years ago

The seam is the least of the issues. I'm afraid you n have succumbed to design overkill Sorry.......that granite is not good with the stone detail:( ......at all

Post a picture of the entire kitchen please? Sorry again

• 6 years ago

Hi, Jan. Thanks for the input. We are remodeling a little at a time. We know the stone underneath doesn’t work. That’s the next step in the remodel. Undoubtedly, there are other issues a person might find with my kitchen. Again, I am remodeling a little at a time, paying for it out of pocket rather than through a loan and willing to take it a step at a time. Right now my request is for advice on the edge. Do you have any advice for that? Thanks again.

• 6 years ago

Beth H - Thanks for the pics. I appreciate your time. Those pics look much more like the work we saw in the fabricator's shop the day we chose the chiseled edge with the extra 3 cm overhang (for a 6 cm edge). We walked through the shop because they were currently working on a piece that had that exact edge, and the seam was nearly invisible. It was a great looking piece, so we felt certain we would get that same type of quality finish.

I know it's bad. I just don't know how to begin negotiating a fix because I don't know if it has to be scrapped altogether or if the extra 3 cm edge can be removed without damaging what is left. Or maybe a little extra finishing work can be done to smooth it all out? I hope someone knows fabrication enough or someone has had a similar experience so that they can provide advice about how to proceed next.

• 6 years ago

Hoping Joseph C will pop in with some well needed advice for stone!

• 6 years ago

jessm007@yahoo

Good for you paying as you go and not going in debt over a kitchen reno. I wish I could tell you how to have them fix the edge. I am sure others will chime in. The kitchen is coming along nicely.

`boxer

jessm007atyahoo thanked Boxerpal
  • PRO
    6 years ago

jess,,,have you talked to the fabricator yet?

• PRO
    6 years ago

"Can the extra piece just be removed?"

I'm assuming by "extra piece" you mean the laminated built up edge? Yes, it can be removed.

"Is the whole stone a scrap job now?"

No.

"Can it be smoothed out to hide the seam?"

No. Smoothing is going to make that lamination worse, not better.

I'd have them miter and chisel a 5' long test. If you approve, pull the top and have the edge mitered and chiseled.

jessm007atyahoo thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thank you Joseph C for your time. I appreciate your expertise. The fabricators just left. They were at my house for nearly nine hours. They worked that seam with all sorts of things - a chisel, a grinder, a sander; I even saw a pocket knife in use at one point. They mixed some epoxy of various colors and touched up the seam with it here and there. After hours of nose-to-stone detail work, the seam looks much better. It is there, but much better. I am living with it tonight; it’s nearly 10:00. Their main office swore they would do whatever we want done. I was impressed by their willingness to keep working at it. Let me know what you think now. I appreciate the advice.

The pics are the same two corners I showed you before. Better?

• 6 years ago

The edge of my Nero Orion surround looks great, thankfully.

• 6 years ago

Quite a long day for you and I'm sure the fabricators. Your counters are beautiful. In my humble opinion, I believe the seams look much better. I also love your floors. I commend you for paying as you go. Best of luck as your project continues.

jessm007atyahoo thanked pk2003
  • PRO
    6 years ago

The second picture is more likely to throw your eye off at a distance. As long as you're happy it's good.

jessm007atyahoo thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • 6 years ago

Beth, what is the name of the stone in your 2nd photo?

• PRO
    6 years ago

strategery,,diff names,, but the common ones are, "Cosmic Black"

Black Fusion Granite

Antolini granite

also comes w/o the gold

more gold,,,,Magma Gold

and when either one is leathered, it takes on a nice texture and tones down the coloring

• PRO
    6 years ago

jessm007atyahoo Yes it can be fixed, it needs to be redressed as it looks like they have dressed the two pieces separately

Head over the the Stonefabrictorsalliance to get someone to help in your area that knows what they are doing.

jessm007atyahoo thanked Quartz - Stone Care, Cleaning & Repair Experts
  • 6 years ago
    It still doesn’t look like a chiseled edge. If that’s what you want and what you paid for, I wouldn’t settle.
    jessm007atyahoo thanked hummingalong2
  • 6 years ago
    I agree with hummingbird. Not what you paid for. don't settle.
    jessm007atyahoo thanked Agnes
  • 6 years ago

I think it looks good. My question is this a fabricator that was listed in StoneAlliance ? How did you find them? I like that the fabricator/installer tried so hard to fix this and make it better for you. That speaks volumes to me. Would you use them again? Are you happy with the results? I think your kitchen is coming along nicely and once the other details fall into place you won't notice any minor imperfections.

Looking good enjoy your kitchen journey.

jessm007atyahoo thanked Boxerpal
  • 6 years ago

The fabricator I used was not listed on the alliance. I found the company through a designer acquaintance who has helped me with several other things around my home by recommending good contractors.

I am happy with the granite. I used a different fabricator to do the granite in my bathroom. It also has a chipped edge and is more “chipped” than the kitchen counters. I am happy with both versions. I could not use the same fabricator for the kitchen because last summer a tornado wiped out their shop. They are not back in operation yet. Nonetheless, I am happy with this new counter now.

If I need granite in the future I would go back to the first fabricator I used if they were back in operation after the tornado damage. Their work was fantastic the first time without any panic, and their office staff was more efficient.

Thank you all for providing feedback. I appreciate your time and expertise. My next project is the backsplash and that rock under the counter.

• PRO
    6 years ago

SFA membership is no guarantee of quality. I bailed a member out of big trouble on a commercial job four years ago.

• 6 years ago

You wanted and paid for a chiseled edge...I would stand firm.

jessm007atyahoo thanked chiflipper
  • 6 years ago

Your stone is very pretty, and the seam DOES look better, but I think that issue has distracted you from your original idea of the chiseled edge. Your edge doesn't look chiseled, and it doesn't look straight, sooooooo... I'm asking are you sure you're okay with what you have?

jessm007atyahoo thanked Mrs. S
  • 6 years ago

@joseph corlett llc,

You are correct that a membership at SFA is not a guarantee of quality.

How do we find a quality installer?

What are some tips and tricks?

What are warning signs?

We go to neighbors, friends, and word of mouth...I live in a location where the price goes up based on my zip code, and this means finding someone honest, reliable and fair has gotten to be a challenge. Reading Houzz reviews says run for the hills, Reading Yelp and Google comments say worse things but the GC swears by these people.

• PRO
    6 years ago

I am a fabricator. Regarding the original issue; it looks like the fabricator chiseled each piece separately and then glued them together. Not the correct approach at all. Regarding finding a competent fabricator; the only sure way is to take the time to personally look at several examples of the fabricators work. Even better, since even the best fabricator occasionally runs into problems due to the highly variable nature of stone, is to find a fabricator that has a reputation for spending whatever effort is necessary to resolve an issue. A good tip is to ask the local high end residential builders who they use. High end residential work often includes difficult stones and a lot of custom detail so a fabricator that gets repeat work from a high end builder must be doing a good job. That fabricator is not going to be your cheapest option. My 2 cents.

jessm007atyahoo thanked Granite City Services
  • 6 years ago

If you are keeping that stone I would want a nice discount. It looks better, but still not 100%

jessm007atyahoo thanked mark_rachel