Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
easttowest

Looking for a dramatic difference for this exterior. Please help!

4 years ago

We recently bought this post-war duplex in the Pacific North West. It is an investment property, but we may live it in some day. The interior has been redone keeping simple, clean design in mind. We want to repaint the entire exterior but are really struggling in choosing the colours and the finish (matt or low lustre) Sometimes leaning towards light colours i.e. creams/whites (but worry about the practicality of that choice - would repainting and cleaning be needed more often?) other days very dark colours. - i.e. rich blues and charcoal/black seem our favourite. If you have a knack for this kind of thing please, please, please help! Thanks so much. :)

Comments (9)

• 4 years ago

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised if you just clear out the scraggly overgrown plants, pots, bricks, etc. It looks cute,and I don’t mind the color. The garage side needs attention- looks like there is a mildew issue; is water pooling on the porch and leaking down? You should not have vines growing along the roofline. Once you get everything cleared out and maintenance issues addressed, take another picture.

• 4 years ago

I like the existing color too. It seems to fit your house very well. I also have to agree, that the vine needs to be all pulled loose, and the wall cleaned and the vine cut to the ground. Vines, like that destroy houses, and that one looks like it could destroy eves too. Landscaping needs a major clean up. Once thats done, it would be nice to have another picture.

• 4 years ago

Thats a beautiful specimen of post war MCM ... what exact genre, I cant really say as thats not my era of expertise. Before you do ANYTHING, even paint, please learn what you have there - talk to your local historical societies, people who know, read up on the subject. Youre just gathering info now Even before deciding color, you will need to research the best product for your masonry - Im guessing its still the old fashioned cement based stucco. In general you will need something breathable . Usual acrylic housepaint wont work cos it tends to trap moisture behind the paint film, which can cause damage long term.

Certainly it is serviceable for now . Although it wouldnt hurt to clean the concrete and prep prior to new finish.

Off the top of my head I will say that stark white + orange or red masonry rarely is a good combo - look at bronzes, dark gray-greens, etc.

easttowest thanked Debbie Downer
  • 4 years ago

Thank you all so much for your feedback! I should have mentioned that we have taken down the vines that were growing all over the house and the garden has been completed weeded/cleaned up (the orange red/masonry is gone). This did make a big difference, however, we still feel the house's exterior could really use paint as in-person the house looks quite rough.

I'll try to find a more recent photo.

• 4 years ago

• 4 years ago

Ooohh big improvement! I personally like medium grays with a hint of blue.

• 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Yeah - looks very nice! Next step is to clean your masonry with an appropriate product (probably not power wash depending on how old and fragile it is). It looks like you have some algae or bio growth in/on your concrete - sorta has a faint green-yellow tinge, also some black streaks - mildew?- around the garage doors and up around the chimney

I cleaned my 100yr old concrete block house last summer and it ws amazing just how much it brightened and took out the dinginess, You will have to clean it prior to any recoating anyway. But once you have it cleaned you might decide thats all the dramatic improvement you need for now!

BTW I would try to keep the original raw unpainted concrete - quite typical of the era. In combination with a wood or cedar garage doors would be especially nice.

• 4 years ago

Thank you! Yes, for sure, we'll definitely do a more serious clean up of the stucco. As you say, we'd have to do that before any sort of painting anyway. Do you have any specific suggestions on cleaning products?