Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crittermom92

Desert sky from HCR

11 days ago

I went down to Highcountry roses to pick up my three orders earlier in the week. Of course I can never leave without purchasing at least one more that wasn’t in my original orders. This time it was the rose called Desert sky. It has such an unbelievable color and was a new rose for high country for 2024. I feel like the photos don’t do it justice at all. Just wanted to post pictures it in case anyone’s looking for an unusual color rose. I still didn’t capture the color exactly, but it looks more like it does in real life as compared to the photos on the website. Plus it’s on sale! There’s a few roses on sale on their website for anyone interested .

Comments (9)

• 11 days ago

I just got my order today. Wish I had added this 1.

• 11 days ago

I was all set to get this rose from our local big nursery. If it's still available, I may purchase it tomorrow, but the description says the blooms are only two inches across. Is this correct Sam? I would prefer a larger bloom, but the color is just outstanding, sort of a pinkish orange. It's a Meilland Rose. Your rose is beautiful. Diane

• 11 days ago

Diane, Im not sure how big the flower is- maybe three inches? I didnt actually buy the one in bloom, but if mine blooms Ill try to measure the flower. It seemed large, but on such a small plant, it could have been deceiving. So pretty though.

vaporvac, theres always next year! Ill try to remember to update as mine grows.

• 10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Sam CO z5, I'm hoping to pick up my roses next week as I am very excited to get them going!

Sorry you couldn't make it to the swap. It would have been fun to finally meet you.

What did you get besides Desert Sky? I saw that one go on sale and was going to look at it when I was there. I keep checking the web site because it seems like as Matt goes through the inventory some keep popping up that I haven't seen before. I also wanted to look at Cherries & Champagne.

Pics of the new ones?

What roses of yours did well this winter?

• 10 days ago

Vaporvac, what did you get this year?

• 10 days ago

I saw these in my local garden center yesterday - they are also being distributed by Star. I hadn't seen it in bloom yet, though! Pretty color!

• 10 days ago

I also picked up some replacement roses of ones I lost in my move. soul sister, amber Sunblaze, Colette. Also got pop art, raspberry cupcake, sweet madame blue, and auswest. I’ll have to make a list of my roses that are doing well. Some started to come up, but have died again, so they’re questionable if they’ll bounce back or not. But most are finally getting rocking. My current property definitely gets colder than our previous ones, so I’m guessing I may see a few more that don’t make it.

I’m super bummed about missing the swap. It always seems to be on weekends that I work (hospitals just never seem to get the memo that we want weekends off during garden season!) I’m glad it sounds like it was a good turnout. Maybe next year.

• 10 days ago

Id love information on the swap for my relatives that live in the area!

@mmm @mmmm12COzone5, Many of the roses were rplacements fo those lost to RRD, unfortunately. However, they were doing well prior and were favourites. A cou;el were run over with a lawn mower at my friends garden that I planned and planted. He was ill in a rehab place and his kids were "helping" out. I tried to root the leftovers, but they were too far gone. Lemon Zen, Christian J, Sweet chariot, Crazy Love and Belinda's Blush. Only Crazy Love is new to me, although I had one once that died being overwinere in a small pot. I'll probably be going to FreedomGardens again for my Birthday so I'll see what I get there. Im still fooling around with cuttings so that's fun without long-term commitment... sort of like being an Aunt or grandparent or babysitter....although since I'm doing the propagation I guess it's more aking to adoption!!!😆

• 10 days ago

Vaporvac, the swap is always listed on the Rocky Mountain Gardening forum and is very informal. Someone volunteers to host. People agree on a date. Everyone brings food for a potluck and whatever extra plants they have. I like it because I can see what does really well for our area.

How big did your Belinda's Blush get for you? Was it thornless as described? I have one coming and have to pick a place for it. We're going to try roses in our mulch bed again, but only thornless ones so as not to snag anyone.

Freedom Gardens looks like a great place to visit! You can really see how a rose will do in your climate.

Sam CO z5, keep an eye out for a fall swap. There isn't much interest in the group for roses. My Chuckles rose and a Harrison Yellow were the only two roses. However, I did give away my Above All and two of my Chuckles rose in advance. I brought a Sally Holmes rose once and no one took it, not even in the free for all.