Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrewsun_gw

Wild collected white pine root rot questions

19 years ago

I was stupid and kept a specimen white pine in a plastic container all winter and just discovered that many of last years new root growth are all rotted. What are the odds this tree will survive? The main roots are still intact, no needles have fallen off, and new needles look about to bud. I treated it with fungicide and put it in a more appropriate pot with fast draining soil. Any other advice on how to keep this tree alive?

Comments (5)

• 19 years ago

Did you remove all the rotted root tips? And how fast draining is your soil? I use very large bits for high altitude conifers like JWP. They don't like so much water, and too fine a mix can condemn them to root rot and an early death. Also be certain that when repotting you get all remnants of the old soil out of the rootball by completely bare-rooting half of it in one repotting, and the other half next time.

Chris

• 19 years ago

I concur, you'll just have to wait an see. I have collected eastern white pine and other conifers from northern Wisconsin, and I pot them in straight Terragreen initially. I have to water more often, but is really important to have fast draining soil. It is usually best to totally leave collected trees alone for at least 2 growing seasons before working on them.
    Where are you in northern Il? There are 2 bonsai clubs in the Chicago area, Prairie State(my club) in the western suburbs, and Midwest in the northern suburbs. Both have active websites and a lot of experienced members.
    Stephen

• 19 years ago

bonsaikc- The soil is very fast draining. Is it safe to bare root the tree twice in one spring or did you mean to do this over two seasons? I did not remove all of the old soil (the soil that came with the tree from wild collecting.)Are these pines sensitive to repotting or are they vigerous root growers?
    stephenl- I live in Rockford, IL. There is a bonsai club at Rock Valley Greenhouse which I have been wanting to attend. I will take your advice and leave the tree alone for a while. Should the tree be out of the wind and kept on the dry side? Is it safe to pinch the fresh needles down to two or three per bud?

• 19 years ago

DO NOT bareroot this tree again this year! In fact don't do it over two seasons, but wait at least two years before bare-rooting it again unless there is a great deal of old soil that needs to be removed. You have to get your tree healthy. Feed it organic fertilizer once it's been settled in for at least six weeks, but not if it looks like it's struggling.

Chris

• 19 years ago

I hope the tree lives. I collected it near my campsite in the Superior National Forest during a three day solo trip. The tree was in perfect form. The roots all lifted cleanly from the rocky crevis. There were hundreds of thousands of its kind surrounding it. Its great to find a free wild tree that is already in prime bonsai form. Very few adjustments need to be made to make this tree look like an aged masterpiece, from above ground that is.

Sponsored