Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lsst_gw

Insect /Bug I.D. Please

13 years ago

I found this black and yellow striped bug on my squash and pumpkins.

There are quite a few scattered on the leaves and flowers. Most of them seemed more interested in the pollen.

Is this guy good or bad to have in the veggie garden?

Thanks in advance!

I am in Upstate SC.

{{gwi:65960}}

Comments (8)

• 13 years ago

Looks to be a Zebra Longhorn Beetle. I only see that they collect nectar and pollen from flowers, but maybe someone else could be of more help as to if they are harmful to the garden.. I am including a link to pics..

Here is a link that might be useful: Bug Guide for Zebra Longhorn Beetle

• 13 years ago

I agree with sunshinenc that it's a Zebra Longhorn. It is an imported insect, and so far they're known to prefer nectar and pollen from flowers, as she says, are not a particular garden pest.

So I'd watch it but not kill it unless you know 100% that it's being destructive to your garden plants.

• 13 years ago

Thanks!!!!
    I am seeing several different insects for the first time.
    I do not recall these last year.
    I will keep a watch out to see if these guys do anything other than collect nectar.

• 13 years ago

Thanks!!!!
    I am seeing several different insects for the first time.
    I do not recall these last year.
    I will keep a watch out to see if these guys do anything other than collect nectar.

• 13 years ago

1sst

I might change my mind about that bug's ID. Take a look at the picture of this common Asparagus beetle and count the yellow spots. It looks like it has six yellow spots while the Zebra Longhorn beetle has eight. Your insect has six yellow spots!

If that's an Asparagus beetle, it will probably be more damaging to some crops than if it's a Zebra Longhorn, though the Asparagus beetles prefer asparagus plants to cucurbits.

• 13 years ago

Boy, I hope not!
    This morning they were everywhere reproducing like crazy!
    I am not growing asparagus so I wonder what could have brought them in.

• 13 years ago

Daggone, 1sst! I'm sorry to be so unsure about that insect, but now I don't think it's either one we've suggested so far.

I'm wondering now if it's a blister beetle. The one just pictured is dark and has six yellow spots. Sometimes the spots are orange, and there are lots of different varieties of these critters, around 2,500.

Anyway, if THAT's what they are, they have a bite that causes pain and swelling, so they should be handled carefully.

I think I've been no help at all! But sometimes it's really difficult to ID insects, even with pictures.

Again I'd say to watch them carefully and destroy them if they're damaging your plants. Otherwise, wait and see?

• 13 years ago

Anney, you have been a great help!!!!!!!!
    I do not think it is a blister beetle as I did squash one and it did not make my skin blister.
    I am just so frustrated with bad insects this year.
    I have already had to pull three squashes due to cucumber beetles and wilt and had to do SVB surgery on 4 pumpkins and squashes.
    I do not remember it being this bad so early this time last year.
    I feel as if I spend about 1 hour total a day on bug patrol. LOL