Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lycheeluva

my experience with maple valley orchard

13 years ago

maple valley orchard has a large collection of apple scions available for $3 a stick (plus 15% shipping). Their website states that orders can be placed via email. I placed an order via email on March 18th and ordered 5 scions. I included my credit card info and my phone number in the email. When nothing arrived after 3 weeks, I called them up and asked about the status of my order. The owner mumbled something about having computer troubles and said he would call me later that evening. That evening, I received a one line email stating that the scions I had asked for were out of stock. No apology, no explanation of why he had not fulfulled the order when i originally placed it 3 weeks earlier. I emailed them back and asked to purchase a few different scions. I never got a response. Needless to say, last time I will try ordering from them.

Comments (8)

• 13 years ago

My friend and I have an order with Maple Valley, I am worrying about getting the scions and bench graft , I wanted the scions weeks ago. The owner told my friend something about the snow and not being able to ship out the bench graft HoneyCrisp apple for a couple of weeks.

• 13 years ago

I ordered a few trees from them last year I think. He is in a cold part of the country and the trees came quite late but they were fine.

Scott

• 13 years ago

I emailed last year and ordered a plum and a bench grafted apple. At least, I thought I did. They told me to email later in the spring when I could drive up and get them. When I had a date, I emailed. They then emailed back that the apple had never been available and the plum was sold out. Needless to say I was rather annoyed. They seem to have communication issues that make it difficult to deal with them.

• 13 years ago

I order from them every year and they do fine, if not a bit late (in Southern California standards).

I remember writing to Richard Fayey in New York in February saying that it was now 80 degrees here and can he ship my scionwood order early, and he replied that yeah he could, but he'd have to tromp through about 3 feet of snow in about a 1-1/2 mile circuit in 8-degree weather just to cut my scionwood, Mr. 80-degrees in February- I wrote back never mind, that's OK. I think I still got them a week or so later.

• 13 years ago

I ordered scion wood from Fayey once and the sticks were much too thin. I don't think his trees get a whole lot of N. although I'm just judging from 3 sticks of wood.

• 13 years ago

I mailed an order for bench grafts last year (I would be leery of sending credit card info through email), and soon received a phone call that some of my original choices were out of stock, but he suggested alternates, and the trees have done well. I remember he suggested ordering in December to assure availability. Maybe electronic orders are not his thing -- I had good luck and would order again.

• 13 years ago

I used snail mail and the scions arrived as expected. Can't speak to the quality. They are still in the fridge. Another week or two before I can try them. I'm glad to have a source for scionwood.

• 13 years ago

i ordered scion from both Fayey and Botner this year and got 100% takes on all my grafts ...some scion was small i just matched it to small rootstock