Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nica13_gw

Gorilla Glue?

16 years ago

I have a bottle but haven't ever used it, so I was wondering if any1 has and if it will work on small projects for the garden?

Comments (12)

• 16 years ago

Gorilla glue is strong stuff, but it also has a "foaming action" that can make it difficult to use without making a mess. It expands after it is applied so if you use too much, it will ooze out from between the two pieces you are trying to glue and is hard to remove. Use sparingly and with caution!

• 16 years ago

but it will hold up to rain, wind ect...? it won't be left out over winter

i have everything to make a tea cup feeder except the GEII, so i read the GG package and it says it would work but figured I should ask here (because you guys know everything and packaging often mis-shapes the truth) before I ruin my Grandmothers tea cups. I'm pretty sure I can be neat about using it I'm more worried about giving it to my Mother and having the glue let go and SMASH!
    My Mother gave me the OK to make these 2 cups into birdfeeders but only if I felt my Grammy would "approve" (were talking about a Grammy that made me "Scubbing Bubbles" toys out of Ban deodorant can tops and yarn) - I don't think she'd have an issue with birdfeeders, but she would have an issue with SMASH and so will my Mother (who never understood the "Scrubbing Bubble" toys)

• 16 years ago

I'm not really certain how well GG will weather. I've always used GE II silcone. The nice thing about silicone is if you decide not to use the tea cups for birdfeeders, after they have been assembled, the silicone can be peeled off without damaging the cups.

• 16 years ago

gorilla glue is fantastic...and yes, it does expand so you need to use it sparingly.
    a group of teenage boys got together for an overnighter(not at my house but ds#3 was there). one of the boys got into the gg...rubbed it on both hands then slapped another boys cheeks. according to the manufacturer it comes off with soap and water right away...the cheeks had to have lanolin applied and the glue peeled for several days.
    leave it to teenagers...

• 16 years ago

You have to follow the directions exactly..I have not found it to be weather proof. Things I used it on for outside came apart. Too messy for me!

• 16 years ago

I used it to seal foil in the finger holes in my bowling ball before I decorated as a gazing ball. It held up over a brutal winter.

I also used it to glue terracotta pots together for my bubble gum dishes... That too held up well.

But as previously stated..... use sparingly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gumball Machine

• 16 years ago

My elderly dad begged me to buy him some.I did and he used it once and the cap and bottle hardened beyond another use!

• 16 years ago

Gorilla Glue works best on porous surfaces. Terra cotta pots, wood, concrete, all work well. But it DOES NOT work well on glass or metal, both non-porous surfaces.

I've glued concrete statues together using it, and it worked well.

To make your teacup feeders, I'd definitely recommend some sort of silicon or better yet, Plumbers GOOP.

Don't use liquid nails, it does not hold up outdoors.

• 16 years ago

WEAR GLOVES! That stuff is wicked to get off. Hard to believe it's not made for outside as hard as it gets.

• 16 years ago

In my experience, it's not clear. It's a dirty brown color when it dries, so if you get "ooze", it's kind of gross looking.
    Jeanne

• 16 years ago

I'd use silicone myself, because I have made several things that later I decided to re-work into something else. It holds great,but like Tasy says you CAN peel it off,or use an X-acto knife to help get it off. I've made quite a few bird feeders using nice porcelain and china cups and saucers,and that's what I use. It holds up to cold,heat,rain and squirrels. And it's clear.

• 16 years ago

As stated above, it is strong but that foam oozes out of the joint no matter how careful you are & looks really icky. IMO, it not for fine work. I'd never consider using on something I highly valued.
    Suzi

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County