Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shawnlb_gw

How many Lawn-boy nuts are on here.

17 years ago

I just recently found this forum and I was wondering how many lawn boy nut are on here like my self? My wife thinks im sick LOL, but I love them. I don't want to bore anyone but a good friend of mine was a small engine mechanic and lived behind my granfathers house. My granddad had a 1973 d-600 lawn boy , which I still have the owners manual for, and I use to mow his lawn every weekend. I found out about Bill when the starter broke and needed fixing. I was about 9 and hung out in Bills garage all the time. I learned about small engines espically lawn boys. When I was 13 I was mowing yards and I had a cheep Murry. I wanted a Lawn boy. Bill showed me a self propeled deck and a 73 d-600 engine that needed an overhall. I built the engine put it on there and had my self a kick ass lawn mower. Then I aquired a 71 d-400 which I had up till last year when Old Green just wore out. When Bill moved he needed to get rid of some stuff, and he gave me his dads 1955 Iron Horse c-10 Lawn boy. I was 16 at that time. I still have that and I can go outside right now and it will start on the first pull. When old green went my dad said grandad on his side has a lawn boy in his shed that I can have. I don't mind useing the 55 but its only 18 inch and side discharge only. So I got it. It is an f seriesbetween im guessing 83 to about 88. The model plate came off along time ago. He took the extened rope start off. Removed the bail and cabels. put a toggle switch on the engine cover. Its self propeled. I need to clean the carb and sharped the blade but it runs great. I never had an f engine. Its finiky. Starts on the first pull but you have to prime it couple of times till it warms up. may have to jet it some. Hope I did not bore anyone on my ramblings LOL.

Comments (29)

• 17 years ago

Well I guess I am sort of one but getting rid of most of my stuff. I did just get some more D400 parts I need to get rid of.

Walt Conner

• 17 years ago

I want to be the first to say ,yup, I'm a LB nut ....I have 5 units ....don't want anything else ....I'm talking the ole OMC stuff ,none of that Toro painted green stuff....
    It has to go back to my grand parents owning an old hammer head mower.....it's just been in the blood since then...!
    Welcome aborad .....your home now....Jim
    BTW,you are not alone .....there is a lot of us ....some are still in the closet,but they'll come out and see the light eventually..... :o)

• 17 years ago

Welcome shawnlb,good story. I have 5 two cycle Lawn Boys and am not interested in any other brand of mower,I think that qualifies me as a Lawn Boy nut. My favorites are the models produced in the '70s
    Hope you post often.

• 17 years ago

Yeah! I'm a L-B nut, I have 6 and a `65 1921 snowblower. My weakness are commercial LBs. My dad had always used LBs and I guess it was passed to me. Even today at 82yrs old he still uses his 10525. Once you've got the bug it's hard to shake!

• 17 years ago

There is a lesson to be learned here ..
    Build a quality product, build it honestly, improve it continuously.
    Much like the old VW 113..
    And the Model T Ford..

Lets hope that Toro, or whoever owns them has done their homework..

• 17 years ago

I tinkered with my first LB, a C-series, at the age of 12 or 13 and have been a big fan ever since. I recently had a customer looking to replace his 25 year old LB and was very disappoointed that the 2 strokes are no longer available. I am looking for a good used one for him, he simply wont have anything else.

• 17 years ago

Yep, I'm certified, too. I have a 10201 and a 10550, plus a 10684 4-cycle.

• 17 years ago

shawnlb, welcome. I currently own 5 Lawn Boy's Mostly newer ones ranging in the 90's to 2001 model. The oldest is my M21MBRB. Welcome to the group.

• 17 years ago

I now own 9 Lawn-Boys and I have sold all my 4 cycle walk behind mowers so I'm 100% Lawn-Boy two-cycle green and I couldn't be happier. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!

• 17 years ago

Im not a LB fanatic. Somehow though, 7 of them have managed to break into my garage and build a nest. They even brought many spare parts with them. You cant run them off once they infiltrate. They have even run off all my 4 strokes except for the Snapper commercials, but they have run them off to the out doors in the heat and direct sun of SW Oklahoma.

Beware! Once you start seeing these critters come in the door you will NEVER get rid of them!! :-)

• 17 years ago

Yes, shawn, you're definitely "sick" but in a good way! BTW, you need to check out this site (had to string it out to prevent rejection!):
    my
    tractor
    forum
    .com

There are a lot of Lawn-Boy fanatics under Push Lawn Mowers.

• 17 years ago

I'm a certified Lawn Boy fanatic too. I've got way too many but that doesn't seem to stop me looking for more. It's in my blood.

• 17 years ago

Not me; but I do hope ya'll find help. Perhaps you should consider moving out of your parents garage or their basement? Some of ya'll might even ask a girl out on a date??? Ha Ha!!! With posts like "Another LawnBoy rescued from city dump" - It makes you kind of wonder sometimes!!!

*** Only Kidding ***

• 17 years ago

Have a 1972 8230, and as a backup for some day, a 'youngster' 8235AE from '76. Both 2 strokers. Magnesium deck on the '72 model. Timeless, and still modern looking, in my eyes.

Ebay has added fuel to this addiction, with lots of good old OMC parts and entire mowers on the market every week.

Welcome to the OMC lounge!

• 17 years ago

I have 2; 1 S21ZSM from jwor here and a 7264 from the thrift shop...Don't want any other type push mower...

• 17 years ago

Tally one more L-B nut, that's me. Current stable includes:

R7070 (the Yellow-Boy)
    S19ZPN (small and cute, but works great)
    10301 (a Toro-V, but runs well)
    10415 (a 1995--the baby of the family)
    M21EMRB (recent Ebay acquisition. D@mn, are M parts expensive!)

The last two are currently scattered about my garage and basement workbench, works in progress. The neighbors have seen me putzing with these things out in the open for a while. Now they've started bringing over their non-functional weedeaters and such, asking if I could fix them!

• 17 years ago

Welcome to this web, Shawn. There are lots of LB lovers out there. My journey to 8 LB's began in 1977 when a co-worker asked if I could repair hers. I took it home and contacted a neighbor and we found out that the float bowl in the carb had been reversed( something not possible on a Briggs & Stratton motor)and frankly I'm not aware of any other carb that this is possible to do. After solving the problem, the lady said to just keep it as she had already purchased a new LB.That was my first experience with a owning a LB. At first I wasn't crazy about the design ( rear wheel drive and staggered wheels; not to mention a lot of plastic parts on it). I already had a 4 cycle Toro f.w.d.and this 2 stroke motor took a while to get used to. When the Toro's f.w.d.& motor gave out I started using the LB and forever more I became a LB fancier. I guess with 8 (soon to be 9) in storage I bleed LB green.This is probably why it has taken 4 or 5 web-sites to appease all the LB owners that cherish their "babies".

• 17 years ago

Folks I know who worked at Boeing used to have a saying: "If it ain't a Boeing, I'm not going!" I say "If it ain't a Lawn-Boy I'm not Mowing!" LOL!

• 17 years ago

I have 4 in my stable so far, a 79 8237, an 84 8241, an 03 22260 and an 04 10323.

• 17 years ago

I have over 50 of them, from 1952 to 2003. I am definitely a Lawn-Boy nut.

• 17 years ago

hesse421, I'm wondering if you are married or not? I don't think my wife would permit me to fill our garage with LBs. Although the idea doesn't sound too bad....

• 17 years ago

The nuts are the one not mowing with a 2-cycle lawnmower
    Roy

• 17 years ago

The nuts are the ones who banned 2 cycle mowers like it was going to make a huge difference.

• 17 years ago

I only have 1 LB, but I still think I'm a nut. I just paid $165 to have it repaired 'cause I'd rather mow with a 26 year-old 2 cycle than a new 4 cycle. I know, I know I should have repaired it myself but just didn't want to take the time and the grass kept growing. I doubt any mower company will ever create the owner loyalty that the old LB's gathered.

2-cycles can be made to pass the EPA mandates. Has anyone see the commercials for the new Evinrude 2 cycle outboards? It injects the oil into the gas and will run about 30 minutes at reduced power in case you run out of oil. Proves it can be done but a mower has to meet a price point and the the technology is just too expensive for the back yard.

My son has the same model and I keep telling him to not get rid of it and give it to me. Too bad he lives several thousand miles away.

• 17 years ago

I have 7. 1954,1964,1974,1994,1995,2003,2004.

• 17 years ago

Oh, not me! I just gave away two of them, and one runs!
    I hate LBs with a passion! even have a sign by the door---NO LAWN BOYS!
    The only thing green here is the grass!
    Rustyj 8>)

• 17 years ago

Im an LB nut. I have a small business. I have 7 LB units, one rally (brigs and stratton)and a makita cordless. My newest LB i picked up was a 7073 and it works just as good as my 10323. My favorite is the 10401C. Cant go wrong with the classic look and the cast aluminum deck powered by the F series.

• 17 years ago

I'm a diehard LB nut. I bought my last one slightly used in '95. My dad got me and my brothers hooked on them. I enjoyed helping him preparing the '70's model for each cutting season. Quality time well spent.

• 17 years ago

"Timeless, and still modern looking, in my eyes." It's one of only a few products that can say that. Even though they are decades apart, my 7263 and my R7070 have eye-appeal that fits any decade. Except now it seems that lawn equipment has to have these ooshy-swooshy designer lines where it's hard to tell where the deck stops and the shroud begins.

Yes, I'm a nut also. My friends and neighbors openly remind me of that. If I hadn't found this forum, I'd still have to occaisionally feel guilty about that. For me, it has to be Turf Green. I never could get into gold or the white ones. I do like the yellow thrown into the mix :)

My fleet:
    R7070 - F-series current workhorse (yellow)
    7229 - F-series backup workhorse (turf green)
    7263 - D-series current resto project
    1490 - blower
    SSI - trimmer
    720E - Duraforce snowthrower

Spare parts are in an official LB Dealer Parts cabinet on the wall.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting