Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gonebananas_gw

Finally some pineapple guavas. I only waited 10 years or more.

15 years ago

I had given up on them fruiting. I figured a lack of pollinators was responsible in that I should have four or five named selections, and from a good nursery, so lack of suitable pollen source wasn't the problem.

I really enjoyed the few fruit. I wish I knew what went right this year.

Comments (14)

• 15 years ago

Maybe try hand-pollination.

• 15 years ago

I think in this country, pineapple guavas are largely wind-pollinated (in some countries it is blackbirds!). I can see the granules drifting around whenever I fuss with the bush during bloom time.

I've let mine go to ten feet this year, and there are quite a few fruits up high where I didn't reach to handle the blooms; down low where I molest 100%, there are many tiny, unfilled fruits.

But this is all guesswork; there were also heat spikes during bloom this year likely affecting the pollen.

Congrats on your fruit, maybe the secret is to give up.

• 15 years ago

Maybe its the cold? Zone 7/8. Wow! Didnt think they were that hardy!

• 15 years ago

Hi, I also posted this question at the tropical fruit forum, hoping to get as much help as possible. Can someone please tell me how to best pollinate the flowers. I have a standard tree and a bush, but only the tree is flowering so far. Can I use the flowers from the same tree to pollinate each other, or will I need to use pollen from one tree and pollinate the other tree? In other words, will it be worth trying to hand pollinate these flowers that I have from the same tree? And where exactly do I brush the pollen to?

here's a picture of the few buds that have opened up
    {{gwi:126023}}

Thanks so much for all the help.

• 15 years ago

If the two plants are of the same variety and only differ in growth training, which one's pollen you use may not matter.

If they are two different varieties, their bloom period may overlap and mixing pollens could help.

Manually brush the pollen to the tall central spike on the blossom. It may be just as effective to tap or shake branchlets and watch the pollen fly.

How close are the two plants spaced?

• 15 years ago

I have a pair of these, purchased from Just Fruits and Exotics three years ago. They are extremely vigorous and hardy, easily brushing off 20F temps. Last season they were covered with blooms, and subsequently, fruits. I understand that they are "semi" self-fertile, but do better with two. As was explained to me, it doesn't matter if they're the same variety, or even of the same parentage.

Insects are all that do the work in my yard. I don't worry about paint brushes or shaking the blooms, etc.

-Bruce

• 15 years ago

Thanks Larry and Bruce! Appreciate the comments and help!

Unfortunately when I purchased these, they were only tagged as Pineapple Guava. I bought it from two differnt nurseries. I planted them both within a week apart in
    Nov. 07. They are appx. 12-14 FT apart, but I guess it doesn't really matter since the bush has no blooms yet!

Larry, I will try and do as you suggested on a few of them and see what happens, but it may be I am too warm(central FL). Having said that this past winter was the coldest we've had...according to the NWS in over 20 years. Is it the chilling(before they bloom) that makes them fruit? Or is it the temps "NOW" while blooming that makes a difference. If its the latter, them I'm out of luck...its upper 80's to low 90's from here on out...THANKS AGAIN!

Here's pics of the two tree/bush...
    {{gwi:126024}}
    {{gwi:126025}}

• 15 years ago

I purchased some seeds smaller than a grain of pepper on Ebay, whiffed them all across a container, and had 6 sprout. It has taken a long time for them to get their true leaves, and now they are getting their 2nd set of true leaves.

They came up in 3 sets of 2 each, and I doubt I can separate them. I may have to just let them grow together in 3 containers. They are about 1/8" from each other.

I think your photos look great! They make very nice ornamental trees/bushes. I will have to container mine because I've read they don't fruit well in hot climates. I am in a very HOT climate! It's cool now and they are outside in semi shade.

I fear I'll have to wait 20 years for guavas!

• 15 years ago

Looks to me like you're doing everything right, puglvr. You have some gorgeous trees! (Love the mango in the background -- wish mine wouldn't suffer so much in the cold!) It's a bit early yet for blooms...I seem to recall it was mid-May when mine started last year, and continued through June. You're not that much warmer than us during the summer, so heat shouldn't be an issue.

I use the Sunniland Citrus/Mango/Avocado granule on mine, along with all my other fruit trees. I'm growing my two into more of a "bush" shape, so that they're more of a hedge than tree. They're about four feet tall right now.

-Bruce

• 15 years ago

Have nothing to add, just a comment that I LOVE taste of PG. I used to live in Europe and there were always plenty of PG fruits sold in the fall, brought from Georgia and other Black Sea regions. Grounded (in food processer or blender) fresh fruits with addition of some sugar and stored for several days in refregirator is absolutely unbeatable dessert.
    I wish I coud grow PG here. Wonder why it so rare here in US where there are so much more places that are warm enough for PG.
    Olga, all green from envy.

• 15 years ago

Thanks Desertdance,Bruce and Olga!

Desert, good luck with your new little PG plants!

Bruce, thanks for the encouragements, I really hope your right about the warmth factor. I will be honest, last year I didn't water as much as I should have. We are still in a drought(last year this time also), Last year, I remember the leaves on my trees literally drooping at times from lack of water. I should have watered more, looking back on it. I am definitely taking care of it a lot better this year...I have been watering it more often and fertilized it in March. This year has a lot more buds than last year, so apparently it appreciated the regular watering during the dry spells and rewarding me with more buds.

Actually, I would grow these just for their beautiful leaves and flowers...the fruit is delicious...but it is just a bonus!

Bruce, that poor Mango tree suffered a lot during the freeze in Jan. It is recovering quite well, considering how bad it looked...I thought the freeze killed it! Most of the leaves "fried"... I have one that was really damaged...and I only have a few growths on it now...very slow recovery, but at least its alive.

I also have a couple of Lychee trees that was damaged by the freeze, but not nearly as bad as the Mangoes...these are bouncing back a lot faster and growing. I even have a few(very small) fruits developing for the first time!

Brewster Lychee...you can see some of the bare branches where the freeze damage was.
    {{gwi:126026}}

• 15 years ago

puglvr,

Your 2 PG plants are plenty close enough to pollinate each other, it the conditions are right (both blooming, etc.).

Pineapple guavas are originally from southern Brazil and Paraguay; they need no chilling hours as they are evergreen and not expected to go "dormant" during the year. On the other hand, they do not fruit well in hot, arid places (central FL is not usually arid!). With your bush next to a reflective, south-facing wall, it may get warmer than it would like for fruiting. Time will tell.

• 15 years ago

Thanks Larry,

Well, I'm glad to know that they are planted close enough, so "If and when" the PG bush decides to flower, maybe it has a chance of pollinating each other. Appreciate you explaining that they don't need chilling hours, that's good to know.

Actually the PG bush is not in a South facing wall, it is on the East side...it only gets a few hours of morning sun and shade on the hottest part of the day, so hopefully that will help keeping it from getting too "hot"

Thanks again!

• 15 years ago

gonebananas,

Is your Pineapple Guava Blooming yet this year?

Bruce, let us know when your PG starts blooming...wonder why mine bloomed mid/late April? I think mined bloomed around mid May last year also...Only thing I could think of that is the extra water&fertilizer I gave it this year.