Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19701802

Not a Silver Lace vine

11 years ago

But what is it?

If anyone can make out the blurry photo. Sorry about that.

Comments (12)

• 11 years ago

Wisteria.

• 11 years ago

How nice! Thank you.

Where in the world did it come from, onto my arbor?

• 11 years ago

Be careful, they can eat your house.

• 11 years ago

Since everything else I've planted at that arbor has died, including, obviously, the Silver Lace vine, I'll take the wisteria.

• 11 years ago

Beware, I have some runners on the ground that are 20ft long. It is so hard to get rid of.

• 11 years ago

Thanks, I'll be alert.

Having spent many years subduing a Trumpet Vine, I know how bad they can be.

But I DO want a vine growing on that arbor.

• 11 years ago

that arbor better be VERY strong. Wisteria get huge, and heavy, and are very invasive. Bigger and worse than a trumpet vine.

• 11 years ago

Over here Wisteria is not invasive as it doesn't appear to self sow very much. However, it is also usually very rigorously pruned. I've never seen one get particularly out of control. Maybe the pruning is the secret?

Here is a link that might be useful: Taming Wisteria

• 11 years ago

It does seem that wisteria is perhaps more likely to get out of control in more southerly climes than mine - a point in its favor.

Is there any way to determine which variety this one is?

• 11 years ago

Just based on the flower picture, it looks like Japanese wisteria, Wisteria foribunda. These flowers open incrementally from the base to the tip. You can confirm that with the vining habit - Japanese wisteria vines counterclock-wise, Chinese and the non-invasive American species vines clock-wise.

Japanese wisteria is considered invasive over a wide area of the east coast, including as far north as Maine. It spreads by root shoots, rooting stem nodes and by seed. Pruning can certainly help to contain it but will not elimintate the spread in areas where it is so inclined.

Flora, not sure why it is not invasive in your area (nor in mine). Since we share a pretty long and mild growing season and given the ease with which this plant spreads, one would think it would be popping up everywhere! I am thinking it is because of our cool summers not allowing for sufficient ripening of the seeds. It certainly spreads from the roots easily enough here, but that pretty much restricts it to one's own garden.

• 11 years ago

Thanks, gardengal

• 11 years ago

I think you are right GG - although I have seen the pods green I don't recall seeing them brown and ripe, so even if it happens it isn't that common.