Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yeonasky

Corydalis flexuosa Purple Leaf

13 years ago

Has anyone had any experience with Corydalis flexuosa Purple Leaf. I had corydalis flexuosa blue panda for about five years, and then it just disappeared. It was getting bigger too. It flowered well and seemed to get enough shade and food. I had it in a container and it was close to the house, so it was protected from the worst of the rain. It did die down in the summer but came back in late summer, early fall. I'm going to try corydalis flexuosa, again but wondered about this cultivar, and if corydalis flexuosa is short lived?

Thanks,

Yeona

Here is a link that might be useful: Corydalis flexuosa Purple Leaf on White Flower Farm

Comments (7)

• 13 years ago

Yeona, is Corydalis curviflora var. rosthornii Blue Heron available to you there?

I've grown China Blue, Blue Panda, Pere David, Blackberry Wine and Dufu Temple in our like climate and the Blue Heron is my hands down favorite for persistently nice foliage, rich deep blue flowers. It doesn't go summer dormant as does the flexuosa (still nice plants but they do leave a vacant place for several weeks in my bed) in dappled shade, supplemental water.

I added more of the Blue Heron last Fall (from Digging Dog), and divided the plant I'd originally been growing - hopefully that will lead to a nice clump this Spring but it's too early to tell how my divisions will fare :)

• 13 years ago

That is highway robbery what WFF is charging. Joy Creek Nursery has your 'Purple Leaf' for $6.00 and shipping is fairly low. Bought from them in spring and was surprised how big and lush their plants were. The Corydalis 'Silver Spectre' I got from them was just emerging from the pot and went dormant in summer, but by fall it was putting on nice new foliage.

Sorry I couldn't tell you any personal growing info on the plant you are talking about. Not sure why your other plant died. Perhaps planting it in the ground would be more to its liking...
    Hope this helped you some anyhow ;-)
    CMK

Here is a link that might be useful: Corydalis 'Purple Leaf' at Joy Creek Nursery

• 13 years ago

CMK, poster is in Canada, I assumed the link was to show an example of the plant wanted.

After rereading above, I'm wondering - why close to the house out of rain. I think it should prefer moist if well drained, my own will go summer dormant somewhat early if not given supplemental water, planted under a dense viburnum (pruned to small tree shape) where soil can become dry when rains are light. As soon as fall rains or late summer heavier rain occurs, they are putting out new foliage - keeping them more dry has never been a concern here.

• 13 years ago

The plant was well watered. The reason I protected it from the heaviest rains was because it got flattened the first two years. As I said it didn't seem to be thirsty, it just never reappeared after growing to a quarter size of a huge deep container. I grow many things in containers so I don't think that's the issue either. I just wonder if I got a dud, if it's not short lived, because the soil test came back fine and the sedum is still thriving. I haven't seen the C. curviflora Blue Heron, but I'll take a look around for it. I just looked it up and the pics look good, though I'm not sure what colour is true for it. I do love the color on the leaves for the C.F. Purple Leaf. I guess I'll have to get both. :)

CMK, I was just using WFF for the picture, as Morz guessed. Thanks for the info. I'll check out local guys first, then go to an online site. Here in Van. BC it seems you have to really shop around to get lower priced plants, compared to the prices I've seen on websites in the states.

Yeona

Here is a link that might be useful: C. curviflora Blue Heron What colour comes true for you?

• 13 years ago

My apologies- I missed that the poster was from Canada. ;-)
    CMK

• 13 years ago

A more deeply saturated clear blue than blue panda or china blue, pere david in my garden.

The jardiniere photo depicts the foliage well (second right on top of page you link) but on my monitor the flowers there are slightly more navy-ish than in real life.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:194573}}

• 13 years ago

Thanks for the colour clarification. Very pretty. I'm in, lol. And thanks again for your expertise. I have been really puzzled about the loss of my seemingly happy 5 yr old plant, and am really considering if I need to change the location and to containerize or not. If I could I'd get two of each plant and put one in the ground, still in dappled shade, and one in the container. I wish I knew exactly what went wrong.

No appologies necessary, CMK. One of the joys, and challenges, is reading about other parts of the world's gardening challenges on the internet, and then keeping it all straight. Besides you reminded me to check out prices before I buy, and that's always a good thing. :)

Yeona

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville