Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosepedal_gw

WI wood plants ID needed Please

16 years ago

Could you please ID for me. They are growing in zone 4 wi in the woods. Thank you Barb

{{gwi:369201}}

{{gwi:369202}}

Comments (17)

• 16 years ago

The first one looks like Sambucus, elderberry.

• 16 years ago

#2 Burdock, Arctium Sp.?

HTH
    Chris

• 16 years ago

I think the top one is an Angelica (or related genus); certainly not a Sambucus.

I think the bottom one is one of the native late Asters.

Joe

• 16 years ago

I'm stumped on the first one.
    The second one is definitely Burdock.

• 16 years ago

HI I belive I figured the second one to be big leaf aster. I am stumped on the first one. I will look up elderberry. Thanks Barb

• 16 years ago

I've seen the first one many times while out in the woods and it's ringing a bell for me but I can't think of anything. It's not Sambucus or Angelica. Not an umbelifer. Lotta help I am, I know. I'll think on it.

The second one, really I think it's Burdock. Different species than we usually get on here, though.

• 16 years ago

gingerblue:

Are you thinking Hydrophyllum?

Joe

• 16 years ago

Yes, Joe, I think I was. I kept wanting to see silvery splotches on it. I looked around a bit on some Wisconsin natives sites and came up with nothing. It just doesn't look like Sambucus or Angelica to me at all. But I've been wrong many times before and am admittedly out of practice lately. (Life has been taking different turns...)

Anybody else?

It would help to know if there were flowers or if there are more mature specimens nearby...IOW, is this woody, how does it bloom, what is the habit of the plant when it's more mature??

• 16 years ago

Yes, is it a clump of leaves of a herbaceous plant, or is it a young woody plant? (And if it is, are the leaves opposite or alternate?) It is annoyingly familiar but I can't place it either. It does bear a certain resemblance to Elderberry (Sambucus). Any chance it's something that escaped from a nearby garden or old homesite?

WW

• 16 years ago

I thought it looked like a woody plant, too. Definitely not anything Hydrophyllaceae.

• 16 years ago

Compare to this photo of Sambucus canadensis

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:369203}}

• 16 years ago

HI everyone,

They are both new plants I found this fall. They are located on a path we were mowing earlier this year. They just popped up. I walked all around and there are no other plants. There are no houses around either. When we disturbed the soil they appeared. They have not flowered too young. The big leaf aster according to my book maybe wont flower at all. Only some of the plants will flower. I agree with joe. I think it is hydrophyllum. Barb

• 16 years ago

Barb, it is not Hydrophyllum!
    Wisconsin has three species according to the USDA database.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=HYDRO4

My garden has three species, the same as your state.

Look closely at
    Hydrophyllum appendiculatum

{{gwi:369206}}

Hydrophyllum virginianum

{{gwi:369207}}

Hydrophyllum canadense

{{gwi:369208}}

How is your plant similar? The leaf shape, arrangement of leaflets is not alike.

Consider that Sambucus( elderberry) is eaten by wild birds. Most gardeners see lots of bird spread seedlings in their gardens.
    Ivy, honeysuckle, holly, crabapple,mulberry, cherry, poison ivy, pokeweed, Virginia creeper, are only a few that pop up here constantly.

• 16 years ago

Carol You saved me again. Up all night with tooth ache not thinking right. I meant to say elderberry as in my post earlier. I looked the pictures up and it does look like elderberry. I was thinking he was right about the big leafed aster and got them mixed up. Sorry. I will give up now and try to get some sleep. Barb

• 16 years ago

No, I didnt' mean I thought it was Hydrophyllum. Only that it was reminding me of it. It does strongly resemble Sambucus...but it's not. The toothing of the leaves is different as is how the leaves lie. This plant is more flat...Sambucus leaves fold a bit along the midvein.

Also, I have a suspicion that this is semi-evergreen. It's after the first frost in northern Wisconsin and this is still green, correct? Sambucus canadensis (and others) is fully deciduous.

• 16 years ago

Where's Patrick when we need him? He'd know this one.

• 16 years ago

Hi,
    It still has its leaves and yes they are flat. Are low was in the twenties. I noticed it is woody. I will take more pictures as soon as my camera batteries are charged. It is amazing how it looks like carols picture but without the curled leaves. I am a newbie to plants. Barb