Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cozworth_gw

Coreopsis, bloom till they burn themselves out

17 years ago

I had two coreopsis creme brule in my front yard for the last 3 years. This year they didn't come back up. I also have coreopsis zagreb - and that came back up. Someone told me that some coreopsis can bloom so long and hard that the next year they have no energy left to come back. Has anyone ever heard anything like this?

Last year I continued to dead head the creme brule right up till October. It was very impressive - and I was really looking forward to seeing it come back again. Too bad... I bought 2 moonbeam to replace it. Are these more hardy than creme brule?

Comments (10)

• 16 years ago

Maybe you should stop dead-heading in mid September, to give the plant some time to harden off? I don't know if this is a myth or not, but it's the conventional wisdom for roses.

Moonbeam is unkillable, in my garden, but I've never been too rigorous about dead-heading.

• 16 years ago

My moonbeam finally petered out last summer, it's 3rd. This spring I dug & divided. Hopefully the babies will bloom like crazy.

• 16 years ago

I've had my Moonbeam for four years now. I LOVE it. It blooms from late spring until fall for me and I just keep on deadheading. I have started three other plants from this one just by taking cuttings off of the original plant :)

• 16 years ago

I absolutely LOVE coreopsis and I was very disapointed when the creme brule did not come back this year. I appreciate your input. I was very diligent with deadheading last year - as I was the prior year. I will cut back a little in late fall. But, to make up for the loss of the two I bought 2 new zagreb, 1 moonbeam, 2 heavens gate and 1 american dream! I am hoping that if I loose a plant next year there will be enough variety that it won't be as much of an impact as it was this year.

• 16 years ago

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether 'Moonbeam' or 'Creme Brulee' is prettier and/or more florifeous?

• 16 years ago

Creme Brulee is my abosolute favorite over my others: moonbeam, dwarf (also a good one, but too small), early sunrise, tequila sunrise, golden showers, and rosea. And that is exactly why I am visiting the forums today.

It is a LONG bloomer with wonderful color and leaves. I think it blooms about the same amount as moonbeam, but it is a lighter yellow and much taller & showier.

Here are a couple pics of my creme brulee last year.
    {{gwi:215400}}

{{gwi:215401}}

{{gwi:215402}}

{{gwi:215403}}

I have bought creme brulee every year since I started my garden in 2004. It never comes back, so I was double checking today to see if it was really hardy in my zone or not.

I have just thought of it as an annual and decided whether or not it brings me $6 (or $12 if I get 2!) worth of happiness every summer. Yes, so far, but now that I have done that for so many years, I am unsure.

I have never heard about about plants wearing themselves out, but I am not very well educated about these things, so it is a possibility. I certainly have no idea why mine never returned. Although this year oneof my two has a very weak growth of green leaves that may or may not make it.

Last year I bought the most beautiful pink coreopsis called sweet dreams. I never planted it because I didn't know where I wanted it and I killed it overwintering it in the house :(

sorry for the long post, hope it helps...

• 16 years ago

Wow, your Creme Brulee sure is pretty! I wonder, does your Moonbeam come back, or any of the others, or do none of your threadleaf coreopsis overwinter?

• 16 years ago

I have Moonbeam and it's great. It comes back even in my clay soil and blooms like crazy! It's a light and soft yellow, not dark or bright. It's gorgeous!

• 16 years ago

Smilie, your pics are beautiful. I plant Sweet Dreams every year, treat them like an annual because they never ever come back, and like you, I agree, $6 doesn't seem like a lot for the enjoyment they give. I used to get upset until I accepted that in my zone, they ARE annuals. And after seeing your pics, I'll be adding creme brulee to that list!

Pam

• 16 years ago

I have no idea why I can grow Sweet Dreams in my zone as a perennial! I think coreopsis does what it wants. It's an all or nothing kind of plant.