Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moms_helper_2008

My pre-gardening projects

15 years ago

Here's a link for my grow lights and greenhouse projects.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/616213/

Comments (7)

• 15 years ago

"Mom" is 88? Wow. Looks well preserved. Maybe she took better care of herself than I have for my 61.833 years. Why am I counting fractions of years? Because when I am 62 years and 2 1/4 months old, I should get my first social security check!

Would love to have that much room around my garden. I live in town, and have a fenced yard. Have way too much garden for the fenced-in space. Tough to "farm" it with my tractor (not enough turning room), but I am too old to use my manual tiller for the complete job.

• 15 years ago

That is a lovely garden.

Your greenhouse is amazing.
    Imagine that! a greenhouse you can pull into the garage during very cold nights.
    You should get a patent for that :)

• 15 years ago

Thanks for the greenhouse compliment wetfeet101b. tdscpa, I till all 4000 square feet at the beginning of the year and the end of the year. Takes me about 3 hours each time. I'm sixty and still going strong thank God.

I put up a few more pics from the weekend. I wasn't there when the pics were taken. I will try to get more next week when I am there. Check out mom and I doing the garden jig!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/616213/

• 15 years ago

Amazing work!

I have 5 acres, but most of it is hilly. I would love to be able to do this someday! Maybe all the work on the house and in the gardens that I am doing now will help me sell the house so I can one day have such a big place for a garden.

You are an inspiration!

• 15 years ago

amazing and inspirational! I love the portable greenhouse. Is the bottom plywood or something else?

~tom

• 15 years ago

moms-helper:

Those are some healthy looking plants. I wish I had all your gardening space.

• 15 years ago

christieb199.. As I have found out, gardens can be a lot of fun and they are also a lot of work but rewarding in the end. I never knew how much work mom went through every year.
    As an example, I spent three hours last weekend pruning and tying the tomatoes. I take off all limbs up 12' from the ground and retie with binder twine the bottom of the stalks so they don't collapse from the weight. I used binder twine when the plants were young and yarn later on. I have gone through over 200ft of twine and two rolls (180yds) of yarn already. I pruned and tied every weekend since June first. I didn't get pics but we had several cabbage heads that weighed 7 to 7.5 pounds..nearly a foot in diameter. Not one was under 6.5 pounds. If you have 5 acres just try a small plot at the levelest place near the house. Our garden is on a slight slope.
    GLTY

tom_n_6bzone..Thank you for the compliment. The whole greenhouse frame is mostly wood. I used 1/2 inch ply. I would have done one thing different in hindsight..a straight angle iron fastened on the 8' long sides of the base section instead of the cable brace with turnbuckle bolt and nut through a closed eye hook. I was trying to avoid weight.

greenhouser..All our plants are doing well thank God. I will try to take more pics over the weekend. We had over 40 acres at one time but sold some off. We have 25 acres left. That garden area has been the same area we have used for 17 years. We rotate everything every year. I hauled four pickup loads of composted horse manure, spread it about a foot and a half wide where the rows were going along with fertilizer and tilled it in. I have a 30gal can filled with what I call super water (two five gallon buckets of horse manure, one five gallon bucket of chicken manure, 3/4 cup of Peters, two cups of 5-10-10 and two cups of epson salts..one quart under each plant every two weeks. I get twenty gallons from the can and don't add anymore manure all summer just the other ingredients and water) that I feed the tomatoes and other plants every two weeks. I also spray with epson salts in water. We do use ~Seven~ for insects (only when absolutely necessary) and spray for Blight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grow lights, Greenhouse and Garden Pics.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths