Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bixa525_gw

Russian Sage Questions?

16 years ago

Can the larger variety of Russian Sage be cut down after it starts blooming to keep it at a managable height?

Comments (13)

• 16 years ago

Yes.....in fact if you don't, it will take over.
    Linda C

• 16 years ago

Can you tell me will russian sage grow at the back of the border in full sun in amended clay soil?

• 16 years ago

Yep......but apparantly it doesn't survive a very severe winter like we had last year....or maybe it just takes longer to emerge....but I've got no green on my plant.
    Linda C

• 16 years ago

bixa525,
    my Russian sage is in full sun in clay and is thriving. Putting on new growth already.

I'm struggling with what you mean by 'manageable height'. I would recommend that if you have to cut it back because it is too tall for your spot then you need a different plant. This is a lovely long blooming, drought tolertant, low maintenance plant. Don't add to your gardening chores by putting it in a spot that requires it to be cut.

• 16 years ago

Thanks for your replys. I love the color of this plant so much and the airy kind of look to it. I would be putting it behind rudebeckia's and up against the front of my house. The height could tower over my windows too high so this is why I asked if it could be cut. I know their is a smaller version called "little spire" but this one doesn't get tall enough. What do you think? Could I keep it a decent height or what else could I put there that would be comparable? I just love the plant and really want it to work if possible.

• 16 years ago

In your experience, what are the heights and spread of both regular Russian Sage and the shorter version, 'little spire'? Thanks

• 16 years ago

I never had much luck with RS in my borders. It always flopped and I had to stake it. It got to be too much work. I think this is a plant that likes dry conditions and neglect. In a border where it got watered more often and had a richer soil, it just got out of control. I'd say mine usually wanted to be at 4 x 4 tall and wide - and it was hard to keep it smaller. Even the "dwarf" variety wasn't really.

• 16 years ago

It's a 'see-through' plant, so even if it's over the window, it isn't going to cover it totally.

There are a lot of caryopteris cultivars out there currently. One of those might be exactly what you are looking for.

• 16 years ago

Wow the Caryopteris longwood blue and first choice are gorgeous! Not sure though how they would do in amended clay soil, Anyone try these in this type of soil? I also think the raspberry wine bee balm is pretty. Would either of these work for me in full sun for the back of the border? Rudebeckia's would be in front of them.

• 16 years ago

My Russian Sage likes to take over the spot I put it in. It has a 5'x4' spot to grow and now I have moved everything out of it's way. It will definitely take over the area if I don't cut it back in July/August. I hate to do it but it keeps my garden looking neat. I love the plant and think that this year, it has created some "babies" for me. I'm excited to be able to put this in some other areas of the yard that need the color and where I don't have to cut it back.

• 16 years ago

I think the larger russian sage would be to large for where I want to put it. Maybe the Little Spire variety would work for me since it only gets about 2 to 3 ft. tall. Anybody try this one?

• 16 years ago

I have used little spire but so far (2yrs.) it is not as impressive. You can cut the regular sage back before it begins to bloom and control the height that way. This also delays the bloom some which can be a plus. Depending on the height you want it to be, it is a timing issue. It is a very tough plant so do not be afraid to experiment with the pruning. ( If your growing Black eyed susans near by, this plant self seeds profusely. ie. you could have a mess on your hands!) Good luck.

• 16 years ago

Sage lover, Can I cut back the regular russian sage once it is in bloom? Also which were you referring to that reseeds so easily? One more question, how big did your little spire get in the two years? Thanks