Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foyman

i yield...gophers win

16 years ago

I yield...I can't beat them...the GOPHERS...have tried poison, gas bombs and traps: marginal success at best...so having gotten over that hugh barrier that I can fight them til I die or live with them, I must now decide on which is the best ztr for my application.

Two acres, slope/uneven...damn gopher mounds pop up every day. Given local dealers, my options are Deere (I like the Z445), Simplicity(suspension on the Champion model may be a biggie), Toro, Snapper, Cub Cadet and Walker (love the steering, but expensive..$6000 for 18hp Vanguard).

Given the the conditions, the deere 445 with the 25 Kawi and large tires is a leading continder, but the Simplicity Champion claims to have a super ride.

GOPHERS MUST DIE

Comments (9)

• 16 years ago

FOYMAN!!! You MUST watch, re-watch, then watch again, Caddyshack (pay close attention to Carl the greens keeper). See the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Carl after the Gohpers

• 16 years ago

Foyman, keep after the traps. Put a dark plastic bag over the hole followed with a piece plywood, to reduce the amount of light entering the tunnels. Also, a green onion in the trap hole may help.

I've heard if you have a pellet gun or 22, then you can dig into their tunnels and wait for them, if you are patient enough.

The only good gopher is a dead one.

• 16 years ago

"I've heard if you have a pellet gun or 22, then you can dig into their tunnels and wait for them, if you are patient enough."

Dadgum, how big are those tunnels ... and gophers?!? I'm from the south and we have a few of them, but not near THAT big that we can wait for them in their tunnels. : )

• 16 years ago

I have given up also, but when I see them pushing dirt out (a 5 minute window at most) I enter from behind and shoot them. When I see there nose come out of the hole I shoot about 1 /12 to 2" behind them in the dirt with a 22 CCI CB load. Or I get them with a 410. Coming in from the behind and DON"T MOVE when the stick there heads out or they will pop back in.

• 16 years ago

If you are still using the old leg traps, I can imagine you would not be able to keep up with them. Try the open hole "death clutch" (or a multitude of other names), wind up traps. We get about 90% on the first set and can now keep them in the outer 10 feet of the yard. In the fall, we also retrap the same hole reppeatedly and often get as many as 5 gophers per hole. We trap along about 300 feet of yard (one side) and take 25 to 40 gophers per year out.

• 16 years ago

Don't give up. Also, gophers don't like onions, so putting one in the trap hole will keep them away from the trap. We plant green onions around the perimeter of our gardens to keep them out. Have you tried flooding the tunnels with water? This helps determine good spots for using traps and gas - watch for water coming out elsewhare so you can determine the main runs. Combination of gas and the green traps that get their stomach should work. Finding a main tunnel and putting traps in both directions helps a lot. Sealt eh holes near the traps with green leafy stuff (that they want to eat). If you don't have dogs, there are poison pellets you can dump in the tunnels too.

• 16 years ago

If you have these... click here

I've had great success killing pocket gophers with this...
    click here

You can get strychnine laced grain bait at any feed and grain store or most old time hardware stores.

• 16 years ago

Twenty years ago my wife demanded I do something about the gophers.

I decided to flood them out. Located the highest hole in the garden, stuck in a hose and opened the water. Thirty minutes later I was still pumping water in.

Might have worked. I'll never know.

When I went back to the house I found my wife and two sons, then 5 and 7, operating a gopher rescue station. They were retrieving the half drowned gophers from a hole in a terrace wall that was flowing water and gophers out, toweling them down, putting them in a warm cardboard box and feeding them granola bars..

I figured that excused me from the demand to do something about the gophers and we have coexisted ever since.

• 16 years ago

Here you go-the ultimate gopher getter! Be sure to watch the videos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rodenator