Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjsm_gw

JD X500 series. Which to buy?

16 years ago

I am about to purchase one of the X500 series garden tractors within the week and I am having a hard time deciding which to purchase. I would GREATLY appreciate some feed back from JD X500 series owners as to thoughts and opinions about each model.

I have read so many of the reviews on this forum, talked to my local JD dealer and have made several test runs on the X520, X534 and X540. I am still quite indecisive as to which to purchase. Of course each one is so very different. The tractor will be used to mow and for snow removal. I mow about 1.4 acres including slopes and unlevel terrain. I have a 225' paved driveway with steady light grade to the top to remove snow.

I have considered liquid cooled vs the air cooled engines of the x520/540. There are mixed opinions on the xtra $ spent on the liquid cooled engine is really worth it since air cooled engines have come a long way. Benefit of course with the liquid cooled is use during the cold winter temps.

Hydraulics and power are NICE but certainly not necessary. Manual steering is still quite smooth.

I really do like the x534's manueverability. I do have trees in open areas and garden beds to mow around but I could certainly get away with a non AWS.

I have a garden to till and could purchase a JD tiller attachment. If I did, I would only spend the money on the 30" mechanical tiller vs. hydraulic. So, would the x540 be over kill since x520 takes the mechanical tiller.

I could use some help with my indecisiveness.

I like the x534 but I am a bit sceptical on whether it is worth the extra money and will it grip the driveway with its turf tires? I do not want to put chains on with the paved driveway. Wish the x534 had the HDAP tires w/ liquid cooled engine and could take a tiller. But it dont!

Comments (19)

• 16 years ago

Which one makes you smile the most? With these little tractors theres no such thing as overkill. Find the one you want go the next step up and you'll satisfied. You will always find uses for it. Your better off too big than too small. slkpk

• 16 years ago

My Dad has had his X540 for about 3 months now. He couldn't be happier with the performance.

• 16 years ago

I just took delivery on a new x500 and am very impressed with its performance. I bought the base model but had hdap tires weights and chains installed also upgraded to the better 48" mower deck. I mow about three acres of slopes and hills (very little flat ground) and didnt even need the traction assist but still is a great option if needed. The air cooled kawasaki is smooth and quiet, the heavier transmission climbed the hills effortlessly. The only drawback was the rio (reverse) switch only as an inconvevience. My dealer was great to deal with gave me an excellent deal. I dont know why liquid cooling would be beneficial in the winter with the cold temps outside? just seems like more things to go wrong. You wont go wrong with any of these models but why buy more than you need? good luck and enjoy your new JD.

• 16 years ago

note the JX x534 does not take a tiller. you would have to have your own spacer's made for the tractors rear wheeels in order to use the tiller.

• 16 years ago

The X500 series is IMHO an entry level garden tractor. It does not have the ability to run a 3 pt hitch so the hydraulics would only be for the deck lift and lifting/angling the snowblower. Electrics and my foot can do the same thing. Power steering is nice, but not necessary. Probably more valuable using the snow blower. I don't believe you will be happy without chains trying to clear snow, irregardless of what rear tire is on the machine. Perhaps liquid filling the tires and lots of rear weight will do, but if your doing a lot of snow with drifts I suspect you will spin a lot without chains. I bought the 500 because when you look at the price on this class with power steering and hydraulics your very close to other equipment that has more capability. Compare an X540 to a base Legacy XL and you'll see what I mean. One has to draw the line somewhere for the price point versus capability. My rationale was to get the most machine for the money without competing in price with the next class. The X500 did that for me, but you may consider the PS & hydraulics more important than I did. For your tasks any one of the series is a good choice.

• 16 years ago

JD X500 & x700 are nothing but over priced garden tractors.
    In my book.
    For that kind of money go for a JD2305 or other brand S-Cut and get what you're paying for.

• 16 years ago

You said,
    "Benefit of course with the liquid cooled is use during the cold winter temps."

I don't get your thought...unless you are planning on a very cozy cab with a water line to a radiater, haha.

I think air cooled engines are just as good in cold winter temps.

• 16 years ago

Thank you all for your quick responses! One of the points made during a return comment one has to draw the line somewhere for the price vs. capability. I do agree if you purchase a x534/540 one should consider next line competing garden tractors. Thing is, I haved owned a JD lawn tractor and they are just good machines. Reliable, durable and the dealers are professional and more than helpful!

Another response I had re: x534 was a tiller can be used if I have my own spacers made for the rear wheels. What do you mean, any suggestions where to go or how to do?

Today I went and to my local JD dealer to take another closer look and ride them again. The fella I usually deal wiht was off today and a sales person from the Farm tractors helped assisted me. X540 sold. Only a x500, 520 and 534 remain at the store. Question? Re: using the x534 for snow removal, dealer said you really should not use chains on this model. He suggested use of the rubber chains. This person seemed to think you can get the HDAP tire in correct size for the x534. I really dont think this is so but if correct, this may help with traction in snow.

I do like the x520 due to its capabilities but I really like the x534 all wheel steer. Again, do I draw the line at the x520 and just buy it???

• 16 years ago

I've owned my X520 for just over a year and continue to be impressed with what it will do. I have never missed the turf tires and use the dif-loc frequently. If you should decide on the X520, I can't imagine that you would be disappointed. I would think that the dif-loc would make a difference in the snow.

Bill

• 16 years ago

I'd have to echoe SLPKP on this. It's your money and your the one that going to use it, do what makes you feel good. I just bought a 445 JD and have never even driven one! Won't go get it till latter part of SEPT. Didn't have to have it, already got three MF's I use all the time but I wanted it so just bought it. Whatever you decide, take good care of it and do regular maintance, it should last you a long time. Tractor I mow with each week is 35yrs young!

• 16 years ago

Basicly the X534 when turning your rear tires would hit the tiller that is wyhy deere said the tractor is not tiller capable on the older 1990's series 400 AWS 425,445,455 there was a spacer put on the the rear wheels in order to use the tiller. You would need to have someone make a spacer for the X534 wheels so the tires would not rub up against the tiller housing when turning. the 30inch tiller or hydraulic tiller would mount up to the current X534 frame but your rear tires would rub up against the tiller housing. making spacer you could have them made by a local machine shop. about a 2inch spacer would do the trick youwould need longer lug bolts then as well. it wouls be a disk put on the hubs prior to mounting the tires.

• 16 years ago

seargent...question here for ya...I have an X304...would spacer work same on that model as on the X534? thamks for any help ya can give! (didn't want to start a new thread so excuse me folks for inserting it here).

• 16 years ago

bighagrid you tractor was not ment for a JD tiller but since the frame on the X304 is the same as a X534 it could work But there is a aftermarket tiller that may work on your tractor it is made by Bercomac

Here is a link that might be useful: bercomac tiller

• 16 years ago

Posted by sergeant 5aIL (My Page) on Tue, Aug 7, 07 at 23:27
    there is a aftermarket tiller that may work on your tractor it is made by Bercomac .
    I don't see how the Bercomac could work on tractors that don't have some sort of a power take off .

• 16 years ago

They use the same PTO sheave(pulley) that the mowing deck uses. work just like the belt driven tiller for the JD X500 series tractos. all lawn tractors have a PTO

• 16 years ago

seargent---thanks for the info--looked at the sight--but if I am correct, the tiller offered by JD is chain driven, thus the spacer route might be easier...or another possibility could be larger tires and narrower stance...what's ya thought on that one...

• 16 years ago

ervie,

RE: Benefits of the liquid cooled vs. air cooled engines

What I have learned with the liquid cooled engine is it maintains a more consistent running temp vs. the air cooled engine. Benefits are running in summer and winters. When you run a liquid cooled engine it stays with in a givne temp range for longer period of time vs. the air cooled engine. The benefit in the winter is... when you shut down for break or what ever the case may be, then start up again, engine temp is still up and you wont do the same damange to the internal engine parts that occurs with cold starts. With air cooled engine, over time with winter use, air cooled engines can get engine cracks or gasket failures with the snow/slush coming into contact with the hot engine.

Just what I have learned. If I get the x520, time will tell if the extra $ was worth it.

• 16 years ago

The tiller is belt driven off the tractor PTO to a chain final drive

• 16 years ago

I like the x534 but I am a bit sceptical on whether it is worth the extra money and will it grip the driveway with its turf tires?
    1* I do not want to put chains on with the paved driveway.
    2*liquid cooled engine and
    3* could take a tiller. But it dont!
    Posted by cjsm
    1* - 3*
    Get a JD Kubota or MF S-Cut and solve all 3 of these problems.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH