Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vuwugarden

Pergola estimate

14 years ago

I had a vendor come out to price the construction of a pergola for me, since I couldn't get the arbor to anchor properly for our intense winds here in Texas).

Vendor quoted $4000!!! My arbor was $200. Um, is this worth the investment? I just need reassurance from fellow rosarians. Please help.

Comments (12)

• 14 years ago

Depends on the size/complexity of the design. For $4000, I'd want a pretty kicka$$ arbor. Can you describe the proposed design?

Eric

• 14 years ago

Only $4,000? That's a bargain compared to the estimate I received from two local builders. The size is about 15' x 15' attached to the house. Basically a two post open slatted roof. Two different (well-known) contractors gave me an estimate of $7,000. I still want to fall over when I think of it. For that amount of money, I expect to get more than two posts and some slats, how about a shingled roof with four walls? I did get a third estimate from another big name and they quoted around $3,000.

Sure makes a big difference in who you talk to. Needless to say, we are still without a pergola.

Lynn

Lynn

• 14 years ago

Eric, 'kicka$$ arbor,' made me laugh. Yes, it better be! I attached a link to a site that had a picture similiar to the proposed plan. Bottom photo on the photo link. I wanted a 10x10, should I go bigger? This estimate does not include brick/slab work for the interior.

$4K is a lot of money. I could spend that money on $4K worth of roses :-)

Lynn, I have to remember you to compare notes in the future since you're in my state and zone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Home & Commercial

• 14 years ago

$4K for a 10'x10' arbor of that design is too much in my opinion. How much of that cost is due to the special issue of the caliche? Certainly the cost would be in the labor and not the materials. What kind of wood did they quote...for that price it better be cedar, treated would be much cheaper. I would check around with other builders. You have a picture of what you want.

You'd be surprised what you can do yourself. Maybe try to get estimates for just the hardest parts, like setting the posts...then you could do the rest. All it takes is a some wood and a saw..and time :) You could also do a decent job yourself with pavers for the floor.

Eric

• 14 years ago

You might want to check into a local wood hobbyists club. Betcha they would have some leads.

I doesn't cost you anything to get estimates and make your plans and wait for the perfect lead to show up.

• 14 years ago

I like to see pictures of houses and gardens on this website, they are so totally different and look like I see them in films :-)

But hearing these things makes me suddenly feel home: you call someone to do anything, they ask without any shame an outrageous amount of money. They often charge you 50 euros just for (having dared to?) call home thy lordship the holy carpenter/artisan/lawnguy!

Do it yourself: you will save money, have fun, be proud of your pergola, and have a commitment and care that no stranger would have. Well, you will probably need much more time if it is your first do-it-yourself-work, and you will likely have to do and undo some things, until you learn. But that is were the fun is, after all.

Just by restoring myself the windows that were damaged by a woodpeck, I saved about 12,000 euros last summer, for 12,000 I would have expected to have the windows re-made in sterling silver, not in common wood!!! :-)

• 14 years ago

The photo looks beautiful, but it also looks pretty easy to make, yourself, if you are so inclined. Construction is fun and easy if you have the right tools

• 14 years ago

Vuwugarden,

In my line of work, $4000 is a reasonable price for QUALITY work on a pergola of that caliber... IF, and that's a BIG IF, they use the highest quality construction methods and materials, LIKE:
    Stainless steel screws
    Stainless steel lag bolts
    proper anchorage
    Proper attention to watershedding (that water does not pool up in certain areas and rot the wood)
    WATERPROOF glue if needed
    Either Cedar, Cypress (heartwood), or even a high grade of clear Pine treated with a non-toxic wood preservative and then painted properly.

Here are some pics of a project we provided all the materials for at the memorial garden of a private hospital in Chicago.

I don't want to hi-jack your thread with all these pics, but I don't know how make a link to my Photobucket account to just show certain pics.

{{gwi:301262}}
    {{gwi:301264}}
    {{gwi:301265}}
    {{gwi:301266}}
    {{gwi:301267}}
    {{gwi:301268}}
    {{gwi:301269}}

Any questions, feel free to ask.
    Rob
    BC:)

• 14 years ago

Rob...I have a question...is the white material wood or PVC type material? I can't see any grain through the paint? What did you prime that with??
    Beautiful work..it is just gorgeous. Donna

• 14 years ago

Donna,
    The white material is a PVC material with the brand name of "AZEK". I believe they painted it with an exterior latex primer, with a white latex over it. Like I said, we supplied the parts to the general contractor, they installed and painted it so I am not positive what they used... but that it what we recommend. Oil base paints are not flexible enough.

For anyone wondering, this PVC material is not structural, it has to be reinforced. We made White Oak cores and sandwiched them between the pieces of AZEK. Labor intensive... to say the least.

Rob
    BC:)

• 14 years ago

And now for something completely different. In a no name town near Homosassa Springs, FL on a backroad we saw this and had to stop to see it. It's next to a ribs take-out.
    A work of art from driftwood.
    {{gwi:301270}}

• 14 years ago

Thanks, Rob, for the advice and pictures. I believe the material is aluminum on the inside and faux wood outside. They marketed the product saying that this would ensure longevity over wood products. What's your take on this? I have several quotes now and they range from $3400-$4300. Faux materials to cedar.

I appreciate everyone's advice on this thread!