Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Have snapdragon sprouts, now what to do with them?

Hello :-)

I have a milk jug full of seedlings of Snapdragon Royal Bride [all white] and Snapdragon Tequila Sunrise [oranges] and now I am trying to decide what to do with them. I was thinking of trying to add a few to a border that would have lupines and delphiniums in it and putting them in the front but I was looking today and I don't think I have room. I have an adjacent area where I have more room, but it gets less sun...maybe 4 hrs of sun. I have a few scattered foxglove there now. I also could use them in containers but I don't know how long a bloom season they have or what would be something else interesting to pair them with.

Anyone like to offer an idea? :-)

pm2

Comments (6)

• 16 years ago

Snaps continue to bloom if deadheaded. Some are tall, some are med and then some are dwarf. I'm not familiar with yours, but snaps do best in full sun but will do ok in light shade...not too much or they get floppy.

They are annual or short lived perennial for me in my zone depending on location.

• 16 years ago

Vera: Is sun exposure the only thing that affects upright growth in snaps? What about water, temperatures?

Most of my taller snaps do get floppy.

Karen

• 16 years ago

Hi, the Royal Bride will be 36 inches at maturity. If I plant those with lantana, they would have to go in the middle, I guess. Not sure the white will work with what I was thinking of come to think of it. I may need to use them in a bed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snapdragon Royal Bride

• 16 years ago

The Tequila Sunrise will get 24 inches at maturity. You can see from the link below that they are going to be a difficult color combination. Actually I don't know why I chose them...lol.

I am also wondering if they are going to peter out early in the season or if it gets hot or if deadheading will keep them going all season?

Would love to know what all of you do with your snapdragons. As I have only used them once in containers and not sure how I feel about them yet. I would love to find a way to enjoy them as they seem to winter sow very successfully.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tequila Sunrise snapdragons

• 16 years ago

I believe I cut back the foliage a little on my second planting of snapdragons, before they had buds, which helped them to have a more upright habit. The first batch drooped a bit, but were still pretty. (Mine were snapdragons tall deluxe mixed.)

For me, snapdragons were such a long and reliable bloomer, kept going and going. I saved seeds from last years so I could be sure to have more this year. I sowed thickly, and it looks like everyone of the seeds sprouted.

• 16 years ago

Karen....I have 'Black Prince' and some peachy/pink one and they are bushy by habit the first year...not tall or floppy ; about 18-20" in bloom. The 2nd year the 'Black Prince' in full sun were compact bushy bloomers, but the one in only partial afternoon sun was much bigger and the MANY blooms week and floppy no matter how much I pinched it out...plus that area was watered more, because I had veggies mixed in the area. I'm not a frequent waterer in the flower beds in summer and my soil is a sandy-loam with average fertility.