Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mo_girl

Seedling Identification Help Please

16 years ago

I sowed these plants in containers along with several other types of seeds, so I'm not positive if they are what I think they are. If the one on the left is what I think it is, I need to plant it in a space where it gets plenty of room.

The one on the left I have labeled as Halberd-Leaved Mallow, and the one on the right as Aster Chinensis Spider Chrysanthemum Mixed from valueseeds. The one on the right germinated early in the season and has grown fairly slowly, so I don't know if that's consistent with an annual aster.

{{gwi:400653}}

What do you think? Am I right or are they weeds or some other type of plant?

Also, could this next one be monarda fistulosa (wild bergamot)? This one has been growing at a snail's pace, so it may be a little early to tell yet.

{{gwi:400654}}

Thanks for your help :)

Comments (8)

• 16 years ago

One on the right is a weed. I can't think of the name at the moment. The one on the left could be your mallow. It looks like it's in the mallow family. The bottom could be monarda. Take a close look at the stem and see if it is square. If it is then you probably have monarda (or something in the mint family at least).

• 16 years ago

I agree that the seedling on the left could be a mallow - I planted marsh mallow and it had the same rounded leaves. I can take a picture of mine when I get home (they are already in the "marsh" and I haven't checked on them this week, so I hope all is well).

I am posting a picture of the plants that came up from seeds labelled "hardy burgundy hibiscus" below. It reminds me a little of your first plant. The leaves have gradually changed their shape.

{{gwi:400655}}

Becky

• 16 years ago

The one on the right is a noxious weed called velvet leaf (Abutilon theophrasti). Oddly enough, it's in the mallow family. But it's a serious problem in farm fields. Please destroy it.

• 16 years ago

I can't tell if the stem of bottom one is square . . . maybe slightly more than other plants, but it's so small, it's hard to tell.

A weed huh? But it was such a pretty weed that I gave so much TLC ;) I'll get rid of it.

Becky, your plant does look similar to mine, probably in the same family at least. Yours just has a more burgundy hue to it, naturally.

Thanks.

• 16 years ago

Well, I hope the plants that I put in my marsh were actually marsh mallow and not weeds. The ones labelled marsh mallow had rounder leaves and the ones labelled hardy hibiscus had leaves shaped like the picture I posted. I have multiple varieties of hibiscus seedlings, but just the one mallow.

Becky

• 16 years ago

Becky, there are plenty of sites out there with lots more pictures if you want to compare. I typed in velvet leaf abutilon theophrasti in a google search, and found it on plantfiles, as well as other sites. Some people, though not many, actually try to grow it, and gave it both good and bad reviews. It apparently produces yellow flowers, so that could be a sure-fire way to tell. I felt the leaves and they are definitely velvety, as the name suggests. Most who do grow it cut the seed pods off so it would not reproduce.

There were several warnings of invasiveness, so I will not take a chance on it.

• 16 years ago

The bottom seedling is a monarda; just smell the leaves, it should have an scent.

The seedling on the right is a weed, I can't remember the name off hand but it makes an odd seed pod that reminds me of a snare drum.

• 16 years ago

Well, I will have to take a picture of the "marsh mallow" to compare. If velvet leaf abutilon theophrasti can tolerate life in a brackish marsh, then it could be that. I haven't looked this week to see how it's doing. One thing about planting something in the marsh is that you don't have to worry about watering it.

Becky

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting