Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariana2007_gw

The power of winter-sowing, before and after pictures

13 years ago

These are picture from last year and this year. Some plants are not winter-sowed but lots of them are. Shrubs like butterfly bushes, rose of Sharon, and hibiscuses are still small, but already planted in their permanent spots. All I need now is patience to watch them grow.

{{gwi:422419}}

{{gwi:422420}}

{{gwi:422421}}

{{gwi:422422}}

{{gwi:422423}}

{{gwi:422424}}

{{gwi:422425}}

{{gwi:422427}}

Comments (21)

• 13 years ago

What a beautiful garden!! You did a FANTASTIC job!!! :)

~Wendy / sassyb.

• 13 years ago

WOW!

• 13 years ago

You have a beautiful and peaceful looking garden. I love that castor bean plant. Everything looks healthy. Thanks for sharing your gardens with us.

Don

• 13 years ago

Absolutely lovely. Thank you for posting. I have a rather small, in-town lot and your photos are an inspiration! Very nicely done!

Lisa

• 13 years ago

STUNNING!!!!! .....

Lynne

• 13 years ago

yOU CAN TELL YOU PUT A LOT OF THOUGHT INTO YOUR LAY OUT,LOVE THE WAY YOU FILLED IN BETWEEN THE HARD SCAPES.
    Oops, sorry about the caps.
    I can't believe you got so much bloom in such a short amount of time, I must be doing something wrong.
    Did you make the huge hosta leaves in your path?Beautiful!
    I love seeing every ones gardens, don't you.You did a fantastic job.
    cAROL

• 13 years ago

The power of wintersowing - AND the power of mariana!

You did a masterful job!

PV

• 13 years ago

Thank you everyone for the kind words.
    Carol, you are not doing anything wrong, just have patience for the perennials. Last year when I moved here, I brought with me the winter-sowed seedlings, planted them, and they stayed small and not much blooms from them. This year I sowed annuals too, so that's why it looks full. I had so many seedlings that now, three other neighbors have lots of flowers blooming from what I shared with them.
    In the first 2 pictures from last year, you can see the shape in the grass where I wanted to put another flower bed, and continue with the path, but my husband wanted some grass, and honestly I think it would have looked too busy that way.

I made the cement leaves using rhubarb leaves, and that column is made with hypertufa. My hosta leaves were too small last year, so I made smaller cement leaves and gave them away to neighbors and friends.

• 13 years ago

Whistle, whistle, clap, clap! Well done, Mariana!

• 13 years ago

How beautiful. Good job.

Caryl

• 13 years ago

I seoond drippy - just lovely.

• 13 years ago

That's a truly WOWSER tranformation...just gorgeous.

Congrats on beautiful outcome of all your hard work.

• 13 years ago

Ever wonder what it would cost for a professional gardener/landscaper to do that???? Priceless!!!

Tell the kitty he/she has no reason to hide but instead should be sitting proud in the midst of it all!

• 13 years ago

Tiffy, you were my inspiration with your last post where you gave us a nice tour of your garden. Beautiful place you have!

If you can believe, the path and the patio stones are made from recyclable materials. Digging in the garden I unburied the flag stones, and the bricks and cement stones were found in the bushes across the street where more than 50 years ago a brick factory was closed down.

• 13 years ago

Everything is absolutely beautiful! You have done a wonderful job! The power of winter sowing...oh, I can't wait to get started! Thank you for sharing.

• 13 years ago

Are you kidding?All recycled, boy, you are one lucky lady.I dream of finding bricks,and stone,lol
    We did unearth a few huge boulders, when we built our house,Love them.Really Big ones.
    I may have to do some of the leaves this winter,I would love a whole path of them, you really did a nice job, how thick are they?
    And, you made the colum also?How did you get the design on it, can you post a closeup?
    I keep going back,and looking.
    cAROL

• 13 years ago

Thanks everyone again!
    Carol, how are you going to keep the fresh leaves over the winter? I made mine with fresh leaves. They are one and a half inches thick.

I got my inspiration for the column, or better say, I tried to copy Elder G. Jones's art. I hope it's OK to post his website link here. I know for sure he doesn't mind anybody getting inspiration from his work as long as is for your own use and not for sale. Here is a close up of something similar on his website: http://sandpudding.com/all_pudn_vws/flamp_rot.htm
    and here is his website link: http://sandpudding.com/
    If you click on my column picture it will take you to my photobucket album where there is another picture of it
    Please contact me using my e-mail on My Page for more details and lots of bookmarks I can share with you. I don't want to bore anybody with unrelated talk

{{gwi:422429}}

• 13 years ago

I can relate to having nothing and then having all the gardens for pennies...

You did a wonderful job and feel proud! It's beautiful!

Carrie

• 13 years ago

Oh my, what a difference a year makes! It is absolutely beautiful and looks so lush and healthy. I bet your hubby is so proud of you. And I bet your neighbor's love having all those flowers shared with them. Did you plant them for them or they planted themselves?

• 13 years ago

I'm wondering where are these leaves everybody is talking about and I scrolled back over and found them. Neato! Now who do I know that has big leaves like that. What about elephant ear leaves? I think I could talk a man out of one of his big leaves.

• 13 years ago

Such dramatic changes in before and after photos! I was expecting to see a bunch of small seedlings, and a few blooms, but instead was treated to gorgeous, established looking beds.

You did a great job with plant placement too. I'm on year 4 of wintersowing, and I still end up with things at the front that are too tall, and need to be moved.

Pippi, I too had to go back and look for the leaves, LOL. Love them!

Thank you for sharing your garden with us!

Bonnie

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting