Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stage_rat

help! cpr needed for hydrangea, clematis, and penstemon (ot)

16 years ago

In my town thereÂs a house with a really cute front garden, taking up the entire tiny front yard. The house had been up for sale, and now the new owners have moved in. They put up a new trellis archway, but they tore out the climbing hydrangea and clematis completely! I grabbed their yard waste bags today. The hydrangea is all chopped to pieces, and I even have what I think is a large part of its main trunk with a little root system. Many of the branches have tiny roots growing out of them. I donÂt know if the climbing hydrangea always does this, or if this occurred in the 4 days in a yard-waste bag.

Does anyone have advice on how to help some of these pieces to survive? Some I put deep into water, and some I put into wet dirt. With some, I removed a lot of the wilted leaves. (I didnÂt have time today to do it to all) Which works better, water or moist dirt?

The clematis is just a sad ball of vine, and I plunked it into water for the night. I recently read some instructions on taking clematis cuttings, but does anyone think I have a good chance of success with something cut down so long ago?

Lastly, there was a lot of penstemon in the bags, too. I cut the stalks to about 5 inches long and put all the rooted bits into wet soil. Does anyone think pure water would be better? Also, I saved the seed heads, which are still purple, not dry and brown. Is there any reason to believe the seeds will be properly formed?

Thanks for any advice on any of the above topics. I hope they all make it, somehow!

Comments (5)

• 16 years ago

I'm a big fan of shoving cuttings into containers with very damp soil. Then I put the pot in the shade and hope for the best. The containers do get lots of water so they stay moist. I do expect that some of the cuttings won't root, and sometimes that's more than half, but I'm always happy with what I do get.

When you do see active growth on the cuttings you'll know that they've rooted, however that doesn't mean that the roots are big and strong--often they're very delicate and quite small. If you can, do leave the cuttings in their container for a few months after they've rooted so they can develop good roots, then transplant them to a holding bed in mid-autumn where they should stay for the winter. Then next spring you can put them where you like in the garden.

• 16 years ago

Hydrangeas are water lovers, so keep them well watered. Even in the shade, winds, heat and humidity can dry them out very quickly.
    You might want to put a bit of bark mulch on top of the soil in those pots. It will help to keep a bit of the moisture in the soil, help keep weeds from getting in the soil and filling up the pots with their roots.

Whatever ones root I would plant in a somewhat sheltered area just for the winter and would do it in mid Sept. in your zone. I'm zone 5 New England and mid Sept. is safe to get them in and give them time to establish a bit in their new temporary home before the cold hits. If it stays warm like it did last fall, then you have extra time for their roots to get comfortable, if it doesn't, mid Sept. is plenty of time for them.

Fran

• 16 years ago

Climbing hydrangea are best propagated by taking advantage of the roots they put out all over their stems. So lay the stems on the surface of the soil and press in - you could use little loops of wire to hold them tight to the soil.

• 16 years ago

For the penstemon cuttings that you put in the wet soil, I would suggest putting the top halves of soda bottles over them, with the caps off. It will keep the humidity up so the foliage doesn't wilt.

• 16 years ago

Thanks for the replies, everyone! It seems that moist soil is the way to go for the hydrangea? The ones I put in water yesterday have actually had the leaves perk up, while the ones in wet dirt are still very sad-looking. Yet I know that some things root better in dirt than water.

Does anyone have advice regarding the clematis, or an opinion on the pentemon seed heads?

Thanks again!

Sponsored