Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherryinmaine

hurrah! remembered my sign in name . . . .

15 years ago

Hi, I re registered here a few months ago (used to post on houseplant forum a few years back) and promptly forgot my sign in name and password. Today, as if by magic, I remembered! (I'd written it down, but lost the notebook)

I have been reading this forum, and kind of 'caught the bug'. Love houseplants, have moved a few years ago, got rid of most of them, too busy/preoccupied to get any more for a couple of years. Then, they started slowly sneaking into my home (they hid out by the aquarium where it's nice & damp, I guess, cause they thrive. Not as many as before, but still, some nice ones)

Any way read this forum, and have ordered some amarillis. (it all started by my deciding to plant a bunch of daffodils and other bulbs this fall.) Much to my dismay, realized the bulbs wont be shipped til fall-----wwwwaaaahhhhh!!!!

In summer, I am motivated to be outdoors, work in garden, like all of you, I guess. In fall, I'm motivated to SIT outdoors, watch the leaves fall, the angle of the afternoon sun, the dogs frolicking, the shortening days . . . . I hope I'm up to planting all those hundreds of daffodils in autumn, when mostly I feel like sipping wine and eating cheese. Right now champing at the bit to hurry up and get involved in amarillis; alas, must wait til fall . . . . boo hoo! Looking forward to reading more about you guys experiences, and photos, knowledge. Sorry this is filled with the letter 'I', will keep to a minimum from now on, hopefully.

blessings,

Sherry

Comments (5)

• 15 years ago

Sherry, glad you found your way to us here! In one year you will be buried in amaryllis if you hang around with us, LOL. Becaues you will want one of everything someone else posts, be offered trades, parts in group orders, learn to cross breed and try them from seeds and be trading seeds! Ask me how I Know, ....I joined late last fall.

Yes, it is hard to wait for the autumn bulbs but I have my orders in too...where did you order from and what did you order...inquiring minds want to know!

Last year I ordered so many bulbs, as I got to see what other people were growing, and because I have a cut flower business where I sell the amaryllis flowers in winter bouquets. IT made a good excuse to keep ordering, LOL...also I had both my knee replaced so they were my cheerer uppers.

I have orders in to Van Engelen, Royal Colors and replacements form McClure and Zimmerman... they sent me mislabeled bulbs last year. (Me and a whole lot of other people)

THhis summer I Am trying letting my bulbs grow outside under landscape fabric for the summer, and hope they all grow well and strong. It has abeen a bit of a learning curve for me so I AM not sure how many of them will be good viable bulbs this fall.

Well, welcome, tell us what you have ordered, and join right in! Its a great time to learn about them by reading the posts form the past, before your new bulbs arrive.

• 15 years ago

Hi Lizalily, I ordered the 'mixed' special from JohnScheepers, guess it's 7 common varieties. Cant recall all the names, but they were reds,& red & white, I think. I also ordered 2 more at a later date because I got so antsy about starting, but just now, cant recall what. I liked 'em, so guess it'll be ok.
    Also ordered 2 from McClure & Zimmerman. Wrote it down somewhere (like my sign in name) but off hand dont recall. I would love to have some jumbo bulbs, but I looked at RC and they were sold out. Dont know if it was for the summer catalog or fall catalog.
    My next dilemma is where to keep them? Thought I had a good place, but hub is putting in a wood stove there. So it has to be somewhere I can hang a shop light with grow bulbs, where kids, dogs, parrot wont bump or knock over. I guess with every new thing, there are new adjustments. I am looking forward to getting involved (if possible ) with buying in bulk with others, etc. (of course, where will I put those too?) It's going to b efun and something to bring a glow to winter gloomy days.
    Love seeing the photos and reading posts, including the international posts.
    bye for now!
    Sherry

• 15 years ago

Welcome, Sherry! We're always happy to have another Hippeastrum lover join us!

You do know... we can be a bad influence when it comes to collecting bulbs! It starts with just one, or a few... and then you come here to learn a little bit about them... and before you know it... you're completely, hopelessly addicted to bulb collecting! Every window sill in your home becomes a place for a pot... and soon, there's no room to stuff in any more, so you invest in grow lights... and soon after that, you're looking into a greenhouse purchase, because you want more bulbs!!

Collecting Hippeastrum bulbs is like driving a fast car... you go from 0 to 60 in no time flat! At least, I did! I'm now wondering where I'll put this fall's purchases! There's no question that there WILL be purchases, but where they will go is the answer I seek!

So, you must tell us which varieties you ordered... and when they arrive and subsequently bloom, you must show pictures!

Again, welcome! I hope you are prepared for what's ahead!

• 15 years ago

hi you all, I looked on receit and saw for Johnscheepers I ordered 'single flower Christmas mix' 7 for $49, I think. The other one doesn't say what I ordered, just that I ordered.
    A question--all the windows (except ones upstairs) have baseboard heating under them. Do you deal with that? Houseplants dont do so well there, wonder if I set up a small table (to block the flow of heat directly upwards) would it still fry the bulbs & flowers?
    Sherry

• 15 years ago

I've never run into a plant that liked the hot or cold drafts from AC or heater units, and although I don't have baseboard heating, I do fight the same kind of battle with the types of units we have... I try to point the louvers down so the cold AC air and the warm, dry air from the heater unit don't blow directly across the room at the only bright window I have!

My suggestion is to try redirecting the air flow from the baseboard units... either that, or find a different window or a bank of grow lights to put the bulbs near. A table might do it, as long as you can raise the humidity in that room so the plants aren't sitting in an environment that's too dry.

Give it a try with the table... if you notice that the plants aren't doing well, move them... you could also see if a home improvement store might carry a plastic cover that redirects the air flow, such as the ones used for central air units. Other than that, I have no suggestions... but I do understand your frustration... I deal with a similar situation!

Sponsored
More Discussions