Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
devo_2006

Alcantarea anyone....?

17 years ago

If pushed to name one Bromeliad as my favorite, then it would have to be.....Alcantarea....... Unfortunately they do take up alot of space in the garden, but I think they are just stunning as feature plants in the landscaped garden. They have great form when only a few years old, and just get better and better as they mature....then the spectacular flower spike....

This Alcantarea imperialis rubra is flowering in a friends garden now.

{{gwi:441827}}

{{gwi:441828}}

I would be very interested to see posts from members who are growing Alcantarea. What varieties are being grown.....? Any tips or tricks for getting the best from them. And lets see a few photo's of these magestic plants.

Comments (16)

• 17 years ago

Here's a 'rubra' of mine from a coupla years ago Devo. The spike reached over 10'(3.3m). I've tried them as both seed-grown and as cell-cultured plants. The latter grows much more vigorously than it's seedy counter-part. I'll snap a pic of my A. odorata for ya.

{{gwi:441829}}

• 17 years ago

devo,here are two photos taken at our Botanical Gardens this Summer.The width is about 5 feet,and the hight is near 10 feet. Its more than 12 years old.
    bob

{{gwi:441830}}

{{gwi:441831}}

• 17 years ago

found one more enlargement of the flower branch
    bob
    {{gwi:441832}}">

• 17 years ago

devo,I found another pic of the same A.imperialis,taken just before the blooming cycle began. This particular plant had been in a very shaded location for many years,and when relocated to a bright and sunny spot,it bloomed shortly thereafter.Not your average 'house plant',this one! ;)
    Note the Vr.'Mint Julip'with an early bloom spike, at the lower right.
    bob
    {{gwi:441833}}

• 17 years ago

Thanks for the photos Bob & Gonzer. Looks like your A. imperialis 'Rubra' where giants with flower spikes reaching to 10'. The one in my first photo stands about 6' to top of flower spike. Not sure if it is a cell cultered plant, I guess it is about 6 years old, and a little smaller than the average imperialis when it flowered.

Following photos are of Alcantarea geniculata. It flowered a couple of seasons ago in the same garden as the A. imperialis 'Rubra'

{{gwi:441834}}

{{gwi:441835}}

{{gwi:441836}}

I find it interesting that A. geniculata appears to be VERY similar to A.regina. There has been some talk that A.regina is not a distinct species, but they are both listed on FCBS. I have both in my collection, so will be interested to compare them when my regina eventually flower. Any other thoughts / comments on A regina...?

Gonzer, looking forward to your A.odorata pic's. I have a batch of odorata seedlings, so would like to see what they will be like when they grow up. I believe the standard odorata is green with a dusting of silver bands over the leaves. There is a lovely variety of odorata, know as the 'Silver Clone'. The photo of odorata on FCBS is of A.odorata 'Silver Clone' from Wally Bergs collection. This is one plant I would love to add to my little collection. Is anyone growing this elusive 'Silver Clone'...?

What about some comments, or photos of other Alcantarea species...any Alcantarea hybrids, or bigenerics out there...

• 17 years ago

Great pics devo, especially the close-up of the yellow petals. Here's my odorata, not much (18") but still nice. AND the silver banding you spoke of. Aechmea blanchetiana and Dypsis decipiens next to it.
    {{gwi:441837}}

{{gwi:441838}}

• 16 years ago

Can anyone confirm that a is 'grass pup' in those last two pics?

I was wondering what they look like so Googled Alcantarea and came right back on good old GW!

• 16 years ago

Yes those are considered grass pups on the odorata Sanders. Personally, I don't bother ever removing and potting them since they are soooooo slow.

• 16 years ago

And yet I learn again!

Thanks
    Sander

• 16 years ago

Hi Sander, Gonzer is right, those little grass pups are slow, much, much slower than "normal" Bromeliad pups. However, on plants like Alc imperialis, the grass pups are all you get, as the plant does not produce normal pups after it flowers. If you treat them like seedlings, then you can successfully grow them on. I have found that if they are removed when about 5cm tall, or larger, and they are very carefully removed to ensure you get all of the base, then your chances of success are good. Also, if you can provide them with bottom heat, and humidity, they will produce roots within a couple of months, and can then be treated like normal plants & potted up. I would guess your terririum would be a good enviroment to try growing a few grass pups.

• 16 years ago

Thanks devo

I got heat mats so bottom heat should not be a problem.

I have not Alcantarea's yet but Jaga is mailing me some seeds , so I try to find all the info I can get.

Sander

• 16 years ago

Here is a picture of Alcantarea imperialis 'Silver' that I have shown before. It is interesting that all yours Alcantarea seems to take full sun while mine will definately get burnt if grown under full sun.

{{gwi:441839}}

• 16 years ago

To Gonzer,
    I wonder your pic' Is that Al. regina???'

• 16 years ago

Hi sander s - more on the grass pups. We've had good growth from grass pups. What we do to wait until they are at least 10cm before removing & also wait till the weather starts to warm up.
    Some pics:
    Grass pup about ready to be taken off with hand as scale
    {{gwi:441840}}
    One grass pup taken off on 15th Oct last year (1 year old) with ruler
    {{gwi:441842}}
    BTW Devo, do you get normal pups with al. imperalis. We don't usually get the std pups on al. imperalis but during a garden visit of a very successful brom grower we find this amazing plant below.
    {{gwi:441844}}

• 16 years ago

A plant like that after one year makes you a successfull brom grower in my book!

Devo has sent me his article on raising Alcantareas.
    Together with your instructions and everything I found on the web the knowledge should be up to scratch now.
    'The germinator' is ready to go (I'm setting up a bigger one for if my neo's give mee seed). Heatmats at the ready.

Now I wait for the mailman to bring me the precious goods from NZ.

Sander

• 16 years ago

Gonzer don't know what you are doing wrong mate , but hair pups rock down here . Sadly the most attractive Alc. spp. vinicolor does not often get them .

Sponsored