Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Mailing eggs through the mail

16 years ago

I'm sure this was probably mentioned already, but I have a short term memory and sorry if I'm making anyone repeat themselves. I am wondering how to send egg or cats through the mail. First of all, I don't know if I'd ever work up the courage to do this because I have never even removed an egg from a plant. I've always been afraid that I'd damage it somehow. I think I remember of eggs getting dehydrated, so how do you prevent that? Would a leaf and egg stay fresh enough going through the mail? What would you put it in to keep it fresh? I would like a few different opinions on this please. If I would ever work the nerve up to send one of my babies, what would I tell the receiver to do once he/she would get it? If you think this is too risky, just tell me and it won't take much to convince me not to send any if I ever find any again. lol Thanks.

Cathy

Comments (13)

• 16 years ago

Hi Cathy-
    I received about three weeks ago 12 eggs from ShadyOaks in Fl and I live in PA. She used two day shipping from UPS-it was in a medium size box. The leaf that the eggs were laid on was inside a small plastic cup with a lid on it. The cup was wrapped up in tissue paper. Everything went fine and the eggs hatched fine.

There were stickers on the outside of the box that said "Live Butterflies" so the people who delievered the box knew. I hope everything goes well for you~**

Aggie

• 16 years ago

Hi, Cathy, I didnt get to post a reply on the other thread. You mentioned that if you got more eggs and I still needed them, you might send some to me. I am in PA as well and might be a good test subject. The eggs would probably arrive to me overnight. I am assuming you got more monarch eggs? I would of course pay for postage and your time and effort. I have to figure out how to email people from here and see if my own email is enabled.

• 16 years ago

Aggie, Thank you very much for telling me that. Was the leaf wilted when it got to you? I hadn't known if it would be better to put them in a cup if I find any or if they have to breathe or maybe it wouldn't matter either way. Thanks again, and I might try it when I find some, assuming I do.

Gwynne, I remember I had said to you to email me but didn't hear from you so I thought maybe you changed your mind. Now if I could only remember how I turned on my email button on here, I'd tell you. Are you sure you want to spend the money? You will probably find some on your milkweed sooner or later. You had Monarchs last year and raised them, didn't you? If I find any, I wouldn't mind sending you one or more, depending on if I find more than just one. I wish a Monarch would come along and lay an egg on one of my plants I have potted in cups and that would make it easy for me; I wouldn't have to worry about anything drying out. I shipped milkweed plants through the mail before and they did fine.
    Cathy

• 16 years ago

I am not sure if it is legal, meaning you have to have a license, to send caterpillars over state lines. Now eggs may be a different story. Not is not to say that people don't do it, myself included, and whether if you send eggs, they may be caterpillars before they reach their destination!

Within state, I have done it by sending Priority Mail, making sure the eggs are newly laid and the host plant is fresh. I put the plant cuttings in wet paper towels, wrapped in plastic wrap. They made it across the state with no problems. If I remember correctly, it was still pretty hot here when I did it but was desperate to get the cats where they would have food to eat.

• 16 years ago

Cathy, unless you really get egged, I will wait. It would take about ten eggs to make it worthwhile to pay for priority mail. I am sure I will get them sooner or later here, just seems to be later this year! Thanks for the offer, however.

Gwynne

• 16 years ago

It is illegal to mail eggs across state lines without getting a permit from the USDA.

• 16 years ago

Oh sorry, Sherry, I forgot to mention that it would be within the state. Gwynne is interested in them, and another lady who emailed me asking to buy some plants mentioned that she wouldn't mind if there were eggs on them; she's from PA too. So there's nothing illegal here, just to reassure you. :) I had a Monarch show up here two weeka ago and laid some eggs, and one just pupated this morning. Now I'm wondering where all the Monarchs are out there that they aren't coming by laying eggs, but that's okay, I'm patient and I can wait until they're good and ready.
    Cathy

• 16 years ago

Cathy, you were right when you told me to be patient. I found my first six eggs tonight.

• 16 years ago

That's great, Gwynne! I knew they'd be there sooner or later. ;-) I bet you'll be finding more as time goes on and you'll wonder why you ever considered sending for any. Congrats on your find!
    Cathy

• 16 years ago

I remember last year every time I would go out for food for the caterpillars I would accidentally bring home more eggs, hard as I tried not to. I would then have to raise those eggs too and when I would go out to get them food, I would find more eggs. It was a never ending cycle and I was going nuts. I miss those days!

• 16 years ago

LOL, yeah, I know what you mean about that you kept finding eggs. It's not hard to do when gathering milkweed leaves sometimes, not that you intended to bring more in. Don't worry, you might get a lot yet. It's still early. I only have 13 cats so far so not a lot. They're early for me this year for some reason, at least compared to last year. I just started last year so don't really have anything to compare it to, so I really have no idea exactly when is the normal time for them to start laying eggs around here.
    Cathy

• 16 years ago

I just started last year too. I found four or five third and fourth instar caterpillars. I later found out that was unusual, but by then I was hooked. So then I started looking for little caterpillars and eggs. The eggs are a hassle for me though as I dont really have much room to put them. till they hatch. Once they hatch, I am fine, but it is keeping the leaf moist but not too moist which is a problem for me.

• 16 years ago

Per the USDA:

"A PPQ 526 permit is required for the importation, interstate movement and environmental release of all insects and mites that feed upon or infest plants or plant products, including agricultural crops, trees, shrubs, native plants, etc."

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/permits/organism/insects.shtml

Per Wayne Wehling of the USDA:

"APHIS Plant Pest Permits (PPQ 526) are required for the interstate movement or importation of any living life stage of indigenous or exotic Lepidoptera (butterflies and moths). Another way to say it is: permits are required to possess live exotic Lepidoptera or live Lepidoptera obtained from another state."

http://www.butterflybreeders.org/pages/permitting_corner.html

I believe it was back in 2000 when we were told that the USDA was going to relax regulations when it came to shipping giant silk moth eggs but that never happened, AFAIK.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County