Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Is 'Ghosty' looking better or worse?

When I got this plant on March 20, Graptopetalum paraguayense 'Ghosty' looked like this.

Comments (18)

• 11 years ago

Hey Purp,

Do you intend to post an 'after' pic against which to compare this?

• 11 years ago

After finally being able to get more light outside, the color has progressed to this. Is that good, or too much light?

• 11 years ago

I'm flattered you think I could in under 2 mins. Thanks for being ready! [wink!]

• 11 years ago

I think, if the plant looks otherwise healthy, the color is good. I thought my jades were frying when I saw this happening, even though they seemed quite happy otherwise. I used to shuffle them around to minimize their "sunburn." Then I started reading here, and I noticed that people who have far more knowledge about succulents than I do were pretty jazzed when their plants started showing a little color! I know not ALL color is good, but I think what you're seeing here means happy and healthy.

See my ghosts, both from the same original plant. The one on the right sits in a window with full sun from sunrise to about 3 pm. The one on the left is on a table that gets tons of light, but full sun for less than an hour.

• 11 years ago

More obvious in the jades. Again, both are cuttings from the same mother plant. One sits in a window with 5-7 hours of full sun, the other gets lots of light, but only about 2 hours of full sun.

• 11 years ago

purple,

It's looking fine.

• 11 years ago

Purp, I'm sorry, it seems I expected the 2nd shot together w/ the first. I still post the older way & can do multiple pix in one post.

Love those gray/white graptos, so handsome.

• 11 years ago

Danielle,

Love the comparisons! thank for you for posting that!

• 11 years ago

Thanks everyone, especially for the pics, Danielle. Your plants are fantastic!

Where in the world have I been? These plants are so pretty with the pink, blue, purple hues, I want them ALL! Everybody's crowded back by the wall today, no sun, storms are coming...

PG, you should be getting used to how lazy I am by now.

• 11 years ago

Purpleinopp, your plant looks like a xGraptosedum to me...and there is one called 'Ghosty' (with yellow blooms). But, the shape of leaves on yours looks like it could be another xGraptosedum. Danielle's plant look like a Graptopetalum paraguayense (which has white blooms). See how the shape of the leaves differ on both your plants?
    I like how these plants color up! One of the common names for Danielle's plant is Mother of Pearl. Similar color changes occur in other Grapto-whatevers. =)

• 11 years ago

Thank you, Rose. I do see a difference.

I've had ground Sedums (now being called Hylotelephium I guess,) which can be variable in appearance, but these c/s plants are all new to me. I've also got the fact that some of my new plants have changed drastically in appearance in just the short time I've had them (and placed in more light, less water.) As I do have experience with many other kinds of plants that have leaves that change as the plants mature, it's difficult for me to see a difference like that on these plants and know if it's because it's not the same plant, or because the plant is maturing, or the conditions have changed for better or worse.

So as usual, the universal factor of flowers being the deciding factor has reared its' ugly head. Hope everyone will send bloom vibes to Ghosty! Thanks for saying what the difference would be. Google image search wasn't conclusive to someone who doesn't know a reliable source of images from otherwise.

This may be best asked in a separate thread, but let's take a bite and see how it tastes... this plant indicates it came from cactuscollection.com (which I got via WM.) How does that affect your confidence in the label? Who knows this company? Does it matter? As humans, people working anywhere could make an innocent mistake.

"Similar color changes occur in other Grapto-whatevers." I was kind of noticing that. In my mind, they're "the not Sedums."

• 11 years ago

I'll take a stab at your questions, Purple. (Oh, BTW, not that it matters...you can call me RoRo, or Roma, or Rosemarie...but "Rose" is somebody else, not me. Hee hee!)

Well, good that you have noticed changes in your c&s plants due to their conditions. There are many factors that change the look of our plants. =)

Yes, when all else fails, flowers will help in deciding a plant's ID. It doesn't always help, as with some Echeveria & Haworthia... when it might not seem any help at all! :P

I believe the company that supplies plants under the cactuscollection label is Altmanplants. They have gotten WAY better over the past few years in getting correctly labeled plants. In the past, when shopping at Home Depot, I'd see one out a dozen labeled correctly. Now, they come closer to 80%, a vast improvement. They even label the cactus with straw flowers as just that. Amazing! They listened to us complain.

A good site with images for good IDs on some succulents is crassulaceae dot net. If you scroll down to the section they have on Genus, you can look at what you think your plant might be & go through pix of cultivars. Now, many of these are plants found in Europe, so some might not even be available here.

They have forums as well, in a few languages. Sometimes the moderators (Margrit is very helpful) will translate for others when folks cross post. Just be aware, I'd advise if you go there for an ID, be prepared to show close up pix, the plant's habit as well as flowering pix, before they will attempt an ID for you (unless it is very obvious).

• 11 years ago

I believe I have called you Rose before and forgot about being corrected, so sorry! (But of course you still smell as sweet!) Thanks for telling me again, I hope it sticks this time. Old dog, new tricks, you know...

Thanks so much for the info, I sincerely appreciate it! (So I'm not crazy, the Ech flowers all look about the same.)

Definitely going to put in my notes that the ID of this plant is questionable. If it makes some flowers, will revisit the issue. Thanks for the tip about the other forum. Meantime, back to enjoying the pretty pink/purple leaves!

• 11 years ago

Beautiful plants, Where did you buy them purple

• 11 years ago

Beautiful plants, Where did you buy them purple

• 11 years ago

No biggy on the name, just strikes me sometimes, thinking folks are talking to someone else. (silly me)

On Echeveria flowers, there are ones with different shapes & colors...but there are many that have the same type flowers (both shape & color), so that wouldn't be any help in identifying them. If yellow blooms, that would narrow down the suspects, if boxy w/blooms that hardly open, another group of suspects, etc. No, not crazy! :P

• 11 years ago

Rosemarie, thanks again! Much appreciated.

TG, the WM's in this area have these, they got them in about 4 weeks ago. Flats of mixed, tiny succulents. If you have a WM in your area, they might have these soon, or visit the websites of the companies mentioned above (from which WM got the plants) to see if they have a facility on their sites for finding local retailers. You probably know all of the plant stores in your area, though.

You never did write me back about the email I sent. It would be easy to include some 'Ghosty' leaves and others in a package for you.

(Ugh, I always feel like I need to add a disclaimer when I end up sounding like I LIKE shopping at WM - 'cuz I don't and wouldn't if options weren't so limited, I don't do mail order. Now I feel like washing my hands.)

• 11 years ago

Thanks for the info on my ghosties, Rosemarie! I was having a hard time figuring out exactly what they were ... not that I get too wrapped up in the name, but it's still nice information to have.

I have a hard time getting things to flower up here, because the "climate" in the building stays very constant. The light may change, but the temperature is always fairly level. Maybe one day when I have space to keep things outdoors, it will give the plants the jolt they need to flower.

I've also got a ton of these guys rooting here and there in some of my larger plants, if anyone wants some. I'm rooting some gollum as we speak, too.