Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chase_hyland

My Aloe Vera.. help!

16 years ago

Hey guys,

So this is my first post, so we'll see how this goes.

I live in New Braunfels, TX and I have an Aloe Vera plant. It's right at 4 years old and I have such a difficult time with it. Sometimes its brown.. sometimes it's a pinkish color. It's never green. I keep it on my porch and it gets lots of sun/light. I just took several pictures of it, maybe you more experienced gardeners can look at it and see where I'm going wrong?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:544147}}

Comments (11)

• 16 years ago

I think your plant looks pretty healthy.....the sunlight being what causes the brown/pink hue that the leaves get. Mine does the same thing.

• 16 years ago

Well.. I just cut off all the dead tips before I took that picture.. and it's greener now that it has been, but it's starting to get pinkish/brown again.. sometimes it gets so brown it looks dirt colored... maybe I water it too much and the all-day direct sunlight is bad? It gets hot here in Texas

• 16 years ago

The color looks fine...no different than my own, really. Coming out of winter, my plant tends to be pinkish and brown. It greens up from the middle.

The soil, however, looks a bit organic to my eye. It might be holding too much water. Just a guess, though.

Josh

• 16 years ago

yeah, I had brought the plant in the garage a few times this winter and my cat was digging around in it.. a lot of the cactus soil i had was displaced, so I used regular potting soil to fill it back up... is this bad? I want this thing to get big and very healthy... it stays in the sun almost all day.. is that ok?

• 16 years ago

That soil does look a bit rich especially with the Perlite. Aloes need to drain well. Mine in the drier garden looks just the same and that is just regular 22 year old dirt never need to ammend. In fact I have aloes growing in the semi shade under a tree that is blooming well and again Inever think about that area. Aloes are really thick and hold alot of moisture. Soon it will be putting out it's blooms. I do cur away the bottom browned leaves.

• 16 years ago

So I'm not over-watering or under-watering it? Those brown/pink colors are normal? I see all these pictures of other people's Aloe Vera and it looks nothing like mine. My plant has short thick leaves and theirs all have very long thing, and very green, leaves.

{{gwi:544146}}

and..

{{gwi:544147}}

• 16 years ago

Looks like the real species to me, and yes the back of the leaves turn brownish. Not to worry, keep it out of the shade. It needs sun. If the leaves turn up that is great, some of the bottom leaves will turn down and they may be getting ready to take off. No need to trim the tips, that is the way they grow, and gives the insects, bugs, an opportunity to come in an infect the plant. Water in the morning but not the leaves about once a week when very hot and dry, water the soil around it.
    They do best in the ground with very rocky soil. Norma

• 15 years ago

Looks normal to me, good erect posture and fat leaves, but I agree that the soil looks like it will hold water to easily.

A healthy aloe isn't really "green" so much as a grayish green. New growth will be bright green and turn gray as it gets older.

Here is a link that might be useful: my aloe farm

• 15 years ago

Randi, I couldn't open Chase's picture..it gave me an error. How'd you do it? lol

I like your farm, wish you had more pics..
    I noticed you're growing Valerian. Is Valerian an herb/root?
    Is it the same plant ppl use medicinally? If so, how is it taken? I mean, is it a drink like tea? Are seeds/roots sold online? Thanks, Toni
    The reason I'm asking is I've been told it helps w/relaxation. If it works, I wouldn't mind trying it, although here in IL, it'd have to be grown as an annual or in a container..Thanks, Toni

• 15 years ago

Not sure whether tea form or a pill but I believe Valerian is readily available in health food stores as a relaxant &/or sleep aid.

I'm sure a SEARCH will shows whether it's available in seed/root form as well as all the other info. you're asking for here. TRY IT!

• 15 years ago

It looks normal to me too.