Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reversethong

Citris and Palm fertilizer? Where and why?

15 years ago

I've heard a lot about some mythical fertilzer for citris that is supposed to be the cat meow. Can anyone elaborate as to what make this belnd so good and where I could go about ordering it on the net? Perhaps a brand name as well?

Comments (14)

• 15 years ago

There isn't any magic prescription for citrus. However, it's been recommended that you use a fertilizer with a RATIO of 3-1-1 or similiar. That would translate to 3 percent N to 1 percent phosphorus to 1 percent potassium. It could be 30-10-10, for example. And it absoLUTEly doesn't have to be exact.

But also very important to citrus are specific minor elements, magnesium, sulfur, zinc, and calcium specifically. Some products have a pretty good miner element component while others do not. You'll have to read the label. Personally, I take turns with products but am using Miracid (which has miners) at the present time (for my containerized plants). It has a NPK ratio of 21-7-7.

If you are growing your citrus in the ground, you can use one of the 'organic' products that contain bio-stimulants and/or beneficial bacterial strains.

• 15 years ago

And,
    to add to rhizos very good suggestions, make sure you keep your PH in check.
    That is more important to me and others than what fertilizer we use.
    If you want your fertilizers to work in your favor, the key is too make sure your PH compliments them.

If your ph is too low, or too high, some nutrients in your fertilizers will eventually be rendered useless no matter how good they are.
    You will eventually see deficiencies showing up, and then blame your feed.
    Citrus groves pay "BIG" bucks to have their soil tested for PH, to keep their crops healthy, and that is in ground soil.
    That is why I use 1 tbls of "vinegar" per gallon once a week, as recommended from members here, and professional citrus growers alike. One citrus grower actually told me this is "key" to healthy container citrus..
    In fact, different plants of mine get different fertilizers, and they are all doing awsome.
    I have spoke to growers who fertilize different from the next guy. They have completely different feed, ranging from Lutz tabs, miracid, MG,romeo, osmocote and the list goes on....
    My local nursery uses 17 5 17 on theirs, and they look awsome.
    BUT, they have to add a special product to their watering system to keep the Ph in check in a range of 5.8 to 6.7, stuff we can not buy as hobbiest. Therefore, the vinegar as suggested from them, is inexpensive and reliable..

Mine were doing terrible with the best fertilzers, even the ones suggested and provided here, before I learned this.
    You can read more about PH and what effects it in detail in the fertilizer forum.

Your PH left unchecked WILL wreak havoc to your plants, no matter how good the fertilizers you use..

Hope this helps.:-0)

Mike

• 15 years ago

I assume the vinegar is supposed to improve alkaline soil right? Anyway, great advice, but still does anyone know what this citris and palm food is and why it's so hard to find?

• 15 years ago

How do you check the ph? My nursery told me to alternate between miracid and miracle-gro does anyone know if thats a good idea? And is that vinegar formula for indoor plants also?

• 15 years ago

Most commercial potting mixes are adjusted for proper pH. With the high peat content of those soils, drenching with a vinegar solution would not be necessary. Just make sure that you are addressing the need for certain micro-nutrients, as discussed earlier.

• 15 years ago

Your right rhizo,,,

I left an important part out. I just talked to a nursery grower at Hines in Calif that has been growing container citrus for over 30 years.

I met hime through a friend that knows a friend there.

He said to me, the key to happy container citrus which most people don't know is keeping your Ph at 5.8 - 6.7> Over time, this proper PH in containers soils gets destoyed over at least 6 months time if growing in the same soil.

Due to salt build up from water, and our fertilizers you need keep your PH in check.
    Then of course there is the flushing your soil out routine that we are suppose to do.
    Unless of course you transplant every 6 months in new soil with proper PH, you would not have a problem. But many of us don't transplant that often.
    That is why my citrus for years have always had some sort of nutritional problem after 6 months in the same soiless mix.
    Since I started using vinegar as directed, my citrus in older soils have been doing marvelous...
    He has to be right, if his plants are GEORGOUS at every nursery I buy them from.

Take a look at the flush growth from the citrus I posted at my local nursery after along winter in the same pots. They too said that they treat their water with certain chemicals to keep the PH in their containers in check. Then comes the fertilizer.
    Your right, you don't have to worry about PH in soiless mixes when the mix is still fairly new..:-)

• 15 years ago

Reverse this is "one" type of Citrus and Palm fertilizer. The Company name is "Dynamite". I'm sure there are many other citrus and palm fertilizers out there, but this one you should be able to order through the co. Home depot carries some of their products but I have never seen the Citrus/Palm available at any of their stores.

BTW, this one is recommend and safe for containers...

Here is a link that might be useful: Dynamite Citrus and Palm Fertilizer

• 15 years ago

Sorry,

Rhizzo, you are right. Soil mixes bought in bags are Ph adjusted and this perfect Ph only lasts for a brief period time ..

Some have always wanted to know a "secret" from nurseries as to why their plants do so well, so green...
    Well I didn't want to keep this info to myself. It has been a gift to me to know that using even the BEST of fertilizers will be rendered useless in ways in a soil with bad PH. I hope many more benefit from knowing this...

Now I know why Al is so persistant in telling people to lime or use gypsum when making ones own soil or altering one from a bag..:-)

I spoke to the top grower of citrus at Hines, along with certain local nurseries here, and it took alot of foot work, calls and connections to do so though...:-)
    I traveled to my local nurseries, talking to owners who agreed with this. Because I know the owners at Mahonies here, the owners son even showed me their private fertilizer tanks and storage rooms.

They also said that vinegar in that small dosage will do NO harm to our plants for those scared to use it...
    Plants, and especially Citrus will only benefit after being in the same soil for more than 6 months,and unlock all the nutrients just waiting to be utilized.....He even mentioned Gardenias....

Locked nutrients, especially iron and Ca, among others, is a major reason for yellow leaves and declining health,no matter how good the fertilzer, like I said over a period of time.. Now mine have all been greening up...

Wish I would of known this "secret" before..

Take care..:-)

• 15 years ago

Mike, can you please be more specific about the type of vinegar you use. Is it white vinegar or apple vinegar? Although I use distilled water to water my citrus to avoid salt buildup, I would still like to try using vinegar if that can get my two citrus to look as robust as your citrus do. Thanks.

Jerry

• 15 years ago

Just plain ole white viger..Thank goodness it's cheap.:-0)

You can still accumilate salts in the form of fertilzers too.

• 15 years ago

Mike,

How much vinegar, and how often?

• 15 years ago

I think I said it up post....Sorry if I didn't...
    1 tablespoon per gallon once a week...:-).
    No less than twice a month....
    Hope this helps..:-)

• 15 years ago

Please
    Don't forget what rhizo said.

"Most commercial potting mixes are adjusted for proper pH. With the high peat content of those soils, drenching with a vinegar solution would not be necessary."

At least, not at the begining of a plant potted up in fresh soiless mix.

If you start to see defficiencies in your plants over a time, let's say after a few weeks or months, growing in the same soiless mix, then this would be a good time to start using vinegar..

I usally don't know of anyone who starts off with soil or a soiless mix with to high of a ph, unless they made it themsleves, or amended their mix and overlimed.
    Usually the opposite occurs.

Soiless mixes can be to low in ph when adding extra peat or bark to a once perfectly balanced good bagged soiless mix and forgetting to add lime..Actually to acidic...

You see the crucial role ph can play in your nutrient program, not matter how good the fertilizer is?:-)

Hope this helps..:-)

• 12 years ago

Hey Mike:

Does the vinegar work with in ground citrus as well? Here in the desert we have very alkaline soil (and hard water) so we tend to be on the basic side of the equation. When they were planted last year we used sulfur to lower the pH.

Also, will be posting some pix tomorrow of my rebounding citrus from the horror of this winter. I am sure you remember my many posts and pix from this winter, including snow in the desert :-(

Been enjoying your posts.

Regards,

Peter