Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rigo74

Whats you best rooting method?

15 years ago

Wanted to start this post since that time of year has come to cut back brugs and some are shipping out cutting this post would help some of the newbies that have joined in on our Brug family.

So If you have a good rooting method please share it so we can help these newbies out. :0)

Well for me the water method is what works for me, just remember to change the water everyday.

Rigo

Comments (12)

• 15 years ago

Yes, please give some advice.

So far, I have only rooted 3 brugs--about 3 weeks ago. I just stuck them in some potting soil and kept it moist. They were putting out leaves in about a week. I'm a little worried that they have just started growing and it's time for domancy.

I have several cuttings coming. Since they probably shouldn't start growing right away, what should I do?

• 15 years ago

Whatever you do, I would recommend rooting hormone. I dip them in the rooting powder weather I am putting them into soil or into a glass of water, it seems to help. I like to try water because I like to see the roots before I put them into soil, but the direct to soil method has been working well for me. Keep them a little on the dry side if you have them in soil. I am learning this the hard way with a few my most precious cuttings :( If one method doesn't seem to work, try another. But some brugs are just so picky, don't feel bad if you lose a few cuttings.
    Shawn

• 15 years ago

Hi.I have a sand box,That I root my cutting in so far I have had good luck.Also I put cutting in water good luck there to.

Denise

• 15 years ago

- I am trying the 'rooting in soil' method; rooting hormone, initial watering w/Super Thrive and seaweed extract, gro lights, keep on the dry side thereafter in individual 16 oz clear heavy duty plastic cups w/holes drilled in the bottom for good drainage. I used a mixture of a 1 part good potting soil & cactus soil and 1 part perlite.

The only thing that I am questioning is: Should the bottom of the cutting callous before putting it in soil? Or just work with what is there from the sender (usually the bottom is wrapped in damp newspaper or paper towel)? In the plumeria world, we let the bottom of the cutting callous for a week or two. Would this issue be why I read that so many people on this forum lose cuttings to stem rot?

Also...as the cuttings are set in the soil, I notice after a day ir so, the very top of the cuttings have dried out & I see a hollow pocket of sorts on a few. Would misting be the kiss of death? Or just leave it be?

Thank you for any information you could share with me!

Mary Jane

• 15 years ago

Maty Jane, I if the hollow area on the top is hard and dry, this is normal, sometimes the cut part dries like this. If it is soft and mushy, this is usually where you say goodbye to the cutting. Cut it off below the mushy part and see if that stops it.
    Shawn

• 15 years ago

No fussing here, I just make sure I have a fresh cut and stick them in dirt in the rootrainers, real simple. Water and put on the heat bed. Yes I treat them all the same, why waste the water for starting them in water?

• 15 years ago

I have had great success rooting with aeroponics. No rooting powders or gels. No nutrients in the water. I have seen roots starting to form in as little as three days on sanguinea and most other varieties. The only ones that don't seem to take this way for me are arborea, vulcanicola, and the other harder to root ones like Rotkirch. I just put them in well draining soil and water normally.

• 15 years ago

Thank you to all who have shared your rooting methods, please if there are any others who would like to share please let us know what works best for you.

Newbies I hope this post will give you some general tips or ideas to help you with your cuttings.

Good Luck!

Rigo

• 15 years ago

Rootone and potting soil for me. Seems like there's always confusion at this time of year about dormancy... I think when you hear people talking about letting their brugs go dormant they aren't talking about brand new cuttings that they're just now rooting. I might be wrong, but I don't let new cuttings go dormant. I think they're better off kept a growing stage. As far as letting them callous over before potting I wouldn't do that either.

• 15 years ago

Do you all make a fresh cut when you get them in the mail or just pot as is out of the damp paper towel? Thats what I always did (pot as is or in water). Never did recut unless it was getting mushy. Worked fine for most but I lost a lot due to various reasons I'm sure. Just wondered what others do.

• 15 years ago

Shawn...Thanks!!
    Except for the 'top' of the plant cuttings, all the cuttings w/a top and bottom cut look good--no mush. Just hard dry callous which I take is good on the top. Now if we can get thru this crazy 'cold front' I'm sure we'll do fine! I see some people use heat mats with cuttings, which I'm sure doesn't hurt root promotion!
    Thanks again--this sharing of rooting tips is fantastic!!!
    Mary Jane

• 15 years ago

Dont use metal pots, like stock pots to keep them in. Barb