Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnplace

Online Purchase Photos

13 years ago

Like another poster with a thread on the first page, I too have recently purchased my first plants online.

I've bought plants from an auction site vendor (is it okay to post the name)? And also from Bloom River and Eastfork.

So far, the only plant to arrive was the one I purchased from the auction site vendor. (I expect the others to arrive tomorrow).

I paid $24 plus $10 shipping for this 2 foot thunderhead pine. I am VERY happy with this purchase. Both the topgrowth and roots were in great shape. Unfortunately, the vendor used USPS, which damaged the box in transit, but the plant was not effected.

I'll post the photos from the other online stores when the plants arrive.

Comments (24)

• 13 years ago

Neat tree! Never post while you are bidding on the fellas, I might want one myself lol.

Thanks for brightening up the local landscape. That storm on Good Friday leave your place alone?

• 13 years ago

Thankfully no storm damage here. I still can't get over that massive trail of destruction near the intersection of the Rock Road and I-70. I work in Earth City and was on the Rock Road during my lunch break the Monday after the storms, and just happened to look over to the right as I was crossing over that overpass, and wow, what a mess.

All those trees, houses, and businesses torn up. I hope my garden doesn't get ripped out by the roots this spring!

• 13 years ago

By the way, if anyone else is looking for a thunderhead pine, this particular vendor has several more on sale for the same buy-it-now price. I'm thinking about picking one more up.

• 13 years ago

Looks like a really nice plant; congratulations!

Unfortunately, the vendor used USPS, which damaged the box in transit, but the plant was not effected.

Hmmm... In my experience, USPS does a better job of delivering packages without damage than UPS does so I'm usually pleased to see that a vendor uses the postal service for shipping. I've received boxes sent via UPS that look as if they have been used as the ball during rugby practice! Glad your plant was fine in spite of the damaged box.

Holly

• 13 years ago

@OakIris: I probably shouldn't be critical of USPS because I have very little experience receiving packages from them. The lack of a real tracking system takes some getting used to, but that's a separate issue. Most of my experiences have been with UPS and Fedex. Strangely, I've actually had overall good experiences with UPS, less so with Fedex. Maybe it depends on whatever individuals are handling the packages on any given day.

• 13 years ago

That's a nice specimen you have. I don't usually see them tall and narrow. The extraordinarily long main leader candle and narrow growth habit makes me think you have a fastigiata growing conifer of some kind.

This dwarf, 'Thunderhead' has a broad habit growing to about 5' wide by 4' high in ten to fifteen years. Also, this conifer is known for it's silver-white candles in springtime. I don't see that in your offering.

The one I am growing is about as wide as tall. Never any sign of a main leader.

Dave

• 13 years ago

Great looking Tree! Likewise, my experience with USPS has never been great. A lot of the conifers I purchased this year that were shipped USPS was not only damaged, the postage was just awful. I ordered 2 small trees (probably 20" high and shipped in a small post office tube package). I paid the listed shipping amount $20. I get a note on my door saying I owe another $19.xx because the box was 2" to long so they had to charge me an overage fee. The tube was definitely shorter and smaller than your package and shipping was $40.

On another note, I ordered 10 conifers from SongSparrow that shipped in a huge box that had a lot of weight to it, paid $40 to ship it.

If you order enough stuff that ships USPS, you'll see those notes I'm talking about, I'm sure. Your first note won't be to bad, but receiving them week after week gets old lol.

• 13 years ago

Dave,

The candles are definitely silver-white, although it doesn't really show in the photograph. In person, at least that part of it does fit the known appearance of thunderhead. As far as the tall central leader, I'm not sure what to make of it. Is it possible that this could be a thunderhead that just happens to have grown narrow due to some environmental or genetic issue? Also, if it's not a thunderhead, any speculation on what it might be?

• 13 years ago

I did some internet image searches and found several specimens with a strong central leader. Unfortunately, I've also found wildly varying size estimates for this plant. One link said 25x15, which is a lot bigger than the 8x5 estimates I see most other places. I've also seen 10x10 and other estimates. I know that it's really all about the growth rate, but given that most size estimates are at 10 years, it really does make me wonder if all these places are discussing the same plant.

• 13 years ago

I was trying to figure out where you got it and then I looked at your floor, lol. I guess there aren't that many online auction sites, so it would have been easy to figure out anyhow.

• 13 years ago

@whaas: LOL, I didn't even notice the receipt was sitting there.

• 13 years ago

It's a nice looking specimen. I think this cultivar generally grows semi-narrow at first and then eventually spreads a bit. I am guessing specimens that are fat and wide have been pruned/trained for this effect, which is a nice effect in my opinion and of course popular in bonsai cultivar.

A good price IMO for a nice healthy plant.

-Will

• 13 years ago

Okay, here are some pics of my other purchases, which arrived in the mail today via fedex.

First off, I cannot say enough good things about Bloom River. I bought a 2 foot tall Hinoki (Tempelhof False Cypress). Top growth is very impressive. And the roots on this thing are even more impressive. packaging was great. I would (and will!) order from Bloom River again this fall.
    This was a large plant with a well established root system for a fair price.

Here is the Bloom River pic:

• 13 years ago

I know this is a conifer forum, but since Japanese Maples are common companion plants for our conifers, I thought you might like to see these pics from Eastfork.

I don't have any good pics of the trees with their wrapping off yet, but here are a few pics of the packaging for now. The plants looked a little worse for wear, having been in the mail all week, but I think they will be fine. The trees themselves... pretty small. I'm not as impressed with EastFork's plant quality as I was with Bloom River, but I did get a great deal on the trees, and there's no question that the packaging was top notch!

• 13 years ago

what cultivars of acer palmatum do you have there? I think they look pretty good. Not knowing what you paid of course.

The cool wet wet wet spring has extended our mail order and planting season. Of course next week it is getting warmer.

• 13 years ago

@Toronado: The maples are "Autumn Moon" and "Orangeola." Both two gallons, for 45 bucks a pop plus shipping. I originally ordered a single 3 gallon Autumn Moon for 90 dollars, but she was out of stock so gave me a deal on two 2-gallon trees instead. Saved about 30 bucks there.

On another note....

I'm hoping we get a bit more rain and lower temps than usual during the first part of summer to help my new transplants cope. In addition to planting several things this spring, I also moved a few plants around in my garden... One of these was a green giant that I'm pretty sure I mangled the root system on... it was just so darned heavy with that big wad of mud around its roots.... So that one may be a goner no matter what. Otherwise, though, I have high hopes, except for the White Dogwood I planted, which seems to have died right after I put it in the ground... picky plant that one. lol.

• 13 years ago

Given that it's supposed to get up near 90 degrees for 3 days next week, does anyone think I should rig a shade cloth over my most recent transplants? The Autumn Moon will be in the shade of the house for most of the day, but everything else is in full sun.

• 13 years ago

Good looking plants John! If anyone still reads the nursery reviews I did, that's almost precisely what I've found with Bloomriver. Big BIG plants, very healthy, a a very fair price(but certainly not cheap).

I bought several very large plants from them and for me they are hands down the best for larger then 1-2 gallon sized plants online.

I'm diggin' your enthusiasm, pun intended.

-Will

• 13 years ago

Actually Will, it was your nursery review that led me to Bloom River's Website. I was also considering SongSparrow, but based on pics I have seen of SongSparrow's offerings (which also seem pretty nice), it seems to me that BloomRiver is better, not that I'm prepared to make such a judgment based on photos and 1 transaction. :-)

• 13 years ago

Well, I'd say there are better options for smaller plants then both companies(Coenosium/Porterhowse/Bethlehem), but for large plants, at least online(which is rare to begin with), Bloomriver is phenominal.

Glad my review helped lead you to a happy purchase! I'll be doing a few 'updates', based on new orders from this Winter/Spring soon.

-Will

• 13 years ago

Will, I have read the reviews also and found them most helpful. The time you spent typing them up is appreciated.

John, since you are in my area I am anxious to see how they turn out for ya. Keep the pics coming over the summer.

• 13 years ago

This has nothing to do with the plants themselves, but is a message to all who purchase online plants. Though legitimate companies will follow the plant moving regulations, please always check that the vendors are following the regulations for shipping plants, and that they come with the proper phytosanitary certificates.

• 13 years ago

Impman, what sort of certificate should I be looking for? I am not familiar with this, as mail ordering plants is new to me.

• 13 years ago

A phytosanitary certificate is a state or federal certificate issued to attest that the plants are not infested with certain insects or diseases, and meet the endangered species requirements. This differs according to the state the plants were grown in and to where they are shipped. Some states allow regionally grown plants to be shipped as long as they are not from a quarantine area. Some states like California require certificates for all plants from other states, including house plants to have correct documentation. For more information check with APHIS. This is not unnecessary regulation or government waste it is to protect us from the transport of invasive species. As I said most of these people are probably good businesses who work in accordance to regulations, but I would guess that there are those either unaware or unconcerned of the laws.