Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrtoad_gw

off topic - face pots

15 years ago

face pots given to me by wife (birthday gift) - i am trying to decide what to plant in the pots - any suggestions would be helpful - half/day afternoon sun - pots are frost proof - thanks, mr toad

{{gwi:736}}

{{gwi:737}}

Comments (23)

• 15 years ago

Oh my gosh. I want both of those! Don't know where I'd put them, but I want them. Can't wait to read the planting suggestions you get, as I can't think of any right this second. Where did she buy those, if you don't mind saying?

• 15 years ago

i know of a store in atlanta and charlotte, there may be more -

Englishman's, 4874 S. Atlanta Road, Smyrna, GA 30080
    Phone: 404-351-4464 - Fax: 404-351-1814

http://www.englishmansfurniture.com/CatalogView.asp?Page=2

i hope this helps - mr toad - if you buy and put them up - send a photo - mr toad

• 15 years ago

My first instinct would be to plant nothing but to leave them as stand-alone garden ornaments. They are so detailed and "serious" in their aspect that I think they might look silly with anything sprouting out of them. The only thing I can think of that would work is moss or a moss-like plant. Some of those "Steppables", as they are marketed, would work well. Then the tops of the crowns would look like green velvet. I love them against the bricks--a perfect marriage.

• 15 years ago

I usually don't like whimsy in the garden, but I LOVE THOSE PLANTERS!! It looks so Alice in Wonderland!
    I like the idea of moss too, but would that hold up well in so much sun? If you wanted a perennial you could try Scotch or Irish Moss. Ivy would add a sort of 'English' look to it. Did you want annual or perennial?
    If you wanted something a bit more unusual, how about Blood-Grass or Oxalis? I love O. 'Sunset Velvet', which has a gold/copper tinge to it. That would look nice for the crown!

Be sure to post pics! Those are just too cool! I am jealous!
    CMK

Here is a link that might be useful: Oxalis 'Sunset Velvet'

• 15 years ago

I agree w/ginny12 - those hangings are standouts on their own. As was said, maybe a bit of low profile 'steppables' mossy stuff might work if you truly want to enhance the crowns.

Also, depending on the sun exposure of their location, would artfully 'painting' them with buttermilk encourage mossy growth in all the right places on the facades?

Just a thought .....

• 15 years ago

Another vote for scotch or irish moss, I think they would look more fitting with those type of pots, a more formal look.

Annette

• 15 years ago

Yes, against the brick columns they look great. I have only stone walls and such. But wouldn't they look superb on the walls of a small, brick English cottage or garden wall surrounded by columbine and ivy. If it were me, I'd plant trailing ivy in them or Myrtle (Periwinkle - blue blooms). Experiment with different plantings and you may end up just leaving them not planted as someone suggested.

Alice in Wonderland? For me, it's The Tudors! But is there any significance to the decorations on the crowns? English, French, Spanish? Oh, I do see a Tudor Rose at her throat don't I?

• 15 years ago

I agree that they look great on their own. Planting anything in them would detract from their own beauty.

• 15 years ago

I vote for no plants! They are wonderful just as they are.

• 15 years ago

On the web site, it doesn't give a price for the items only "inquire". That sounds like I may not be able to afford them. Waaaa. But I don't want to put you on the spot (or your wife) and tell the price. Love that site,tho.

• 15 years ago

How about trailing sedums, like sedum Angelina?

• 15 years ago

Another vote for leaving them unplanted - they look too serious and classical for further whimsy. If you really want to plant them, the moss or steppables suggestion is a good one. You could also try baby's tears (soleirola soleiroli) which I find a lovely ground cover and would provide a nice topping for the crowns. Are you planning to surround them with further planting?

Eduarda

• 15 years ago

"schoolhouse" - she bought these at the souther garden show in charlotte - 75.00 each including tax

these are made in england - very heavy - drain holes - excellent detail - and most importantly - frost free, which means they can stay out all year - the perfect pot for the retired world history teacher

mr toad

• 15 years ago

That's just within my price range. I think I'll bookmark that website.Thank you mrtoad. From the style of crowns,ect. what would you guess the era? or maybe they are generic and not specific. Anyway, I love them.

• 15 years ago

What a wonderful gift! Your DW sure has a great taste!
    I would personally prefer them be as they are. Any kind of foliage would take away, not add IMHO. They look gorgeous on that brick wall. Enjoy!

~Natalie

• 15 years ago

I don't think that I would plant them either. I love them in their natural state. That said, I can see having vines (nice ones like clematis or roses, not ivy as it can take over) climb the brick columns to frame the faces with green, rather than plant the crowns of these figures. Even annual vines would be pretty (thinking hyacinth bean).

Cameron

• 15 years ago

Yes, I can visualize what Cameron suggests. That would be very pretty! Roses would fit the theme.

• 15 years ago

I think you are right about that Tudor Rose at the center of the Queen's ruff, Schoolhouse. But how to explain the shamrocks on the King's crown? I think we could develop a whole story line for these two.... Love and longing across the Irish Sea...?

• 15 years ago

These are exquisite, Happy Birthday Mr Toad! I think great white bacopa would look lovely.

You really must have the white rabbit in the rose garden...

• 15 years ago

Somehow I don't think it is a rose in the ruff. Aren't roses supposed to have five petals, at least? I can only count 4 - maybe a 4 leaf shamrock? That would tie in with the shamrocks in the king's crown.

Anyway, if you want to plant roses around the figures, there's always the red rose of Lancaster (rosa gallica officinalis), the white rose of York (reputed to be rosa alba), the Jacobite rose (rosa alba x maxima), etc. A fascinating topic all by itself :-)

To further thicken the plot, the rose is the emblem of England, the thistle the one from Scotland, the shamrock from Ireland. Wikipedia tells me Wales uses the leek as a national emblem, now I didn't know that! So it looks like your figures above are in some way connected to Ireland?

Eduarda

• 15 years ago

I was going to mention the roses of York and Lancaster, but couldn't remember my history correctly (i.e.Lancaster). Does anyone besides me on the forum watch The Tudors on Showtime? hee hee

• 15 years ago

From a Google search:

What is the 'Tudor Rose'?
    The Tudor Rose is the most famous symbol of the Tudor dynasty. You can see a beautiful example of it on the main page. (It shows 5 petals Eduarda!) It shows the petals of a red rose enfolding the petals of a white rose. The red rose was the symbol of the House of Lancaster and the white rose was the symbol of the House of York. Henry VII was the first Tudor king and a Lancastrian. He married Princess Elizabeth of York. Their marriage was the literal union of both houses, symbolized by the new 'Tudor Rose'. Also, the Wars of the Roses were thus called because they represented the 15th century struggle between Lancaster and York for the throne of England.

• 15 years ago

Oh my, oh my! What beauties you have there!

I love the idea of climbing roses or clematis going up the brick without planting the pots themselves. It seems so romantic. I would be afraid to plant the pots because I'd probably achieve the "chia pet" look and take all the charm away from the pots.

Those are absolutely stunning!

-Sharon

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting