Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
axier

is it Mosaic Virus?

I have rooted one Sal's Fig cutting, it is growing and rooting well but it has an strange colour leaf, it is full of dark green points.

Could you tell me if is it Mosaic Virus?

Here you are:

Comments (8)

• 18 years ago

I have rooted Seven out of eight cuttings last year of Sal'S fig from two different sources and every one of them looked just like yours initially.But a little later they took off Growing so well that i had three ripe good fruits ,out of one,by october.Also symptom Dissapeared later in the season fig growing normal leafes.I am not sure if it is "stress" or mosaic virus but this cultivar is a winner.There is only one source of it so all got it at first.I still have Three of them now, and i gave away four to other people.Do not worry it will go away.Regards

• 18 years ago

Thank you Herman. According to your experiences we have the same clone of Sal's Fig.
    I am confused with mosaic virus in figs, I haven't seen pictures of it, I know how looks other infected plants but not figs.

California Rare Fruit Growers web site says the following:

"Mosaic virus, formerly considered benign, probably causes crop reduction. Symptoms resemble potassium deficiency--leaves are marbled with yellow spots, and the veins are light colored. Symptoms are often not apparent until the tree is older or when it becomes heat or water-stressed"

The above leaf description is a little bit different to the photo, there is no yellow spots. Other important question is that symptoms are often not apparent except for stressed situations. In my opinion rooting is an stressed situation.

This last would be coherent with your comments and it could have mosaic virus, disappearing the symptoms in a more comfortable situation for the cuttings, after the initial rooting process. Don't you think?

Regards

• 18 years ago

YES i agree ,It is morre likly that is the stress doing that,and unlikly to be Mosaic virus.Hope this will help

• 18 years ago

My recently rooted Sals don't show any FMV......YET
    Mine came from Gene...

{{gwi:757310}}

• 18 years ago

Really it looks healthy! but remember what California Rare Fruit Growers say: "Symptoms are often not apparent until the tree is older or when it becomes heat or water-stressed"

It would be interesting that somebody with an adult Sal's Fig tree (or any other fig variety infected) opine too.

Thanks and Regards

• 18 years ago

I have an adult Sal's in my back yard that has mosaic; the cuttings I sent Keith came from another tree that's in an orchard away from the first and is presumed to be FMV-free. They both came from Edible Landscaping. The one in the back yard contracted FMV from UC-Davis figs and other trades. It seems to fruit heavily and has no problem otherwise. Any signs of mosaic is most likely to be seen on the leaves during early spring when temperatures are still cool. The second one that is presumed FMV-free hasn't fruited for me yet, but it's in the ground - so it takes longer.

• 18 years ago

Well Keith it is a fact ,My little Sal's figs never looked so good like yours when small.

• 18 years ago

Thank you Gene, your words clarify the "mystery".

Obviously, all Sal's Fig cuttings originally proceed from the same original tree but, in the different long travels of them, they can be infected or even to mutate.

It seems that actually there are, at least, two different stocks of Sal's Fig variety, one infected and the other not.

Unfortunately the infected one will be for ever (except for new cloning in vitro propagation through meristem culture, only accessible for Universities or laboratories).

I would like to graft this variety in an adult tree but I won't can do it, it will infect to the adult tree.

On the other hand it seems that, in figs, Mosaic virus is fairly benign disease and it is not a big problem. Although in the future it can infect other nearby fig trees through insects.

Regards