Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19728511

Marseilles VS

16 years ago

Since we are talking Marseilles can anyone tell me what the VS stands for and any comments/experience if you are growing the Marseilles VS or eaten it.

Al, if you read this , what is the origin of your Marseilles VS?

Thanx Joseph

Comments (10)

• 16 years ago

Hi Joseph,

I got mine from Jon (Pitangadiego) who I believe got his from Herman. Jon calls it Marseilles VS (MVS) and Herman is calling it Black Marseilles. Gene is calling it "Marseilles Black VS" on his web site. Herman (VS are the initials for his real name) said that he acquired it from a lady in Columbia, MD. You can see this description on Gene's cite:

"1943 brought to U.S. and planted in Columbia, MD by WWII veteran. Similar to Sal's (EL) and Hardy Chicago; fruit slightly larger in size, with darker skin; ripens a week before Hardy Chicago; considered by VS to be an excellent fig for the Mid-Atlantic region."

Condit's description of Black Marseilles may be a bit different, as I recall. I also believe that there is one that has the light-colored, amber, or almost white flesh and pulp just like the more common varieties of Marseilles with the green or yellow skins; the biggest difference between the two being the skin color. MVS, on the other hand, has a dark red pulp.

I found MVS to be a vigorous grower with larger leaves than SalÂs or Hardy Chicago.

Al

• 16 years ago

Thank you Al, very good info, the cuttings are "doing" in their bed of perlite and I am waiting , you know how that goes. Joseph

• 16 years ago

Actually,the description,in ,Condit,Hilgardia,is exactly like this tree is.I am so Happy Jon,gave it my Initials.
    It is a fig with no faults,that will make every Gardener Happy,with the results of his work.
    From Hilgardia
    Marseillaise Black (syns. Black Marseilles, Marseillaise Negra, Black Provence, Ficus
    carica phoceana Risso, according to Sauvaigo). Described by Sawyer (1824), Hogg
    (1866), G. S. (1869), Sauvaigo (1889), Barron (1891), Eisen (1901), Starnes (1903), and
    Starnes and Monroe (1907, with illustration). The following account is after that of
    Eisen, which differs somewhat from the short one given by Hogg.
    Figs medium, pyriform, with distinct neck; stalk long, about one-third the length of
    the fig; ribs distinct, especially on neck and body; eye medium, closed; scales large, red;
    skin waxy, with thin bloom; color black; pulp red. Quality good in Provence and at
    Nice.
    Enjoy it.

• 16 years ago

• 16 years ago

Herman,
    I always enjoy reading your posts and the description of the Marseille VS, indeed you must be very happy to have your name associated to such a fine fig and I am very glad to be growing one.
    Now that picture of your fig orchard just made me laugh, just beautifull !! in a few years I hope to have a little fig forest myself.
    Figs make us happy don't they ? Joseph

• 16 years ago

Sounds like a must-have-fig for rainy summer climates.

I couldn't find any information about this fig or its synonyms on european websites...very mysterious.

• 16 years ago

Yes They do especially if it is a reliable cultivar.!
    Some cultivars do not make me Happy,because i grow and care for them for 3 years and they will just drop fruits without any reasons.
    Yet Marseilles vs blk,will deliver,every time.
    Best Regards

• 16 years ago

Not necessarily having to do with 'this' Marseilles...
    But is it Black Marseilles or ... Marseilles Black?
    English grammar/fig-naming at issue here!?! Plenty of
    (common black/white/red/etc.,)color(s)/'other' fig names...
    I prefer the reverse (type first - color second);
    'other'/color fig naming (aka., Marseilles Black).
    George (NJ).

• 16 years ago

Forgot to mention that it makes a BIG difference in
    any alphabetical fig list...

• 16 years ago

I've tried a search with all combinations of Marseilles/Marseillaise/Provence and black/noire/nero without success.
    There must be another popular synonym for this fig.