Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noma_gw

Fragrant tree at Stanford mall in Palo Alto?

19 years ago

For those in N. California- does anyone know what the trees are called that planted throughout the Stanford mall in Palo Alto? They are strung with white christmas lights around their trunks throughout the year. I went there this week in the evening and there was a beautiful fragrance wafting throughout the entire mall, and the smell was coming from these big trees. They had tons of tiny, white flowers, which had four petals each.

Not sure if they were possibly some type of jasmine? Any ideas? Thanks a million! (cause I'd like to get one!)

Comments (8)

• 19 years ago

More likely to get useful answer with longer, more detailed description.

• 19 years ago

I'll try to get a picture... I found one in my neighborhood in SF. The trees at Stanford were >10-15 feet tall. Trunks were somewhat smooth. Green leaves probably Seemed to be especially fragrant in the evening...

• 19 years ago

Osmanthus burkwoodii? It is flowering up here at this time.

• 19 years ago

I wonder if it's a Pittosporum undulatum
    Victorian Box
    Pittosporaceae
    Origin: Australia, Africa and Asia

SPECIES CHARACTERISTICS:
    Evergreen, broadleaf tree. Moderate - fast growth rate, 30 - 40' in height, equal spread. Round to dome shape.
    FOLIAGE:
    Simple leaf, alternate arrangement, elliptic to
    oblong leaf shape. Entire undulate margins, glabrous surface teIture. 4 - 6" long 1 - 1 1/2" wide. Light yellow to deep green in color .
    FLOWERS:
    Perfect; fragrant; similar to orange blossoms. Creamy white in color. 1/2" in size. Spring.
    FRUIT:
    Dehiscent, round capsule. Orange when fruit is mature, 1/2" in size.
    STEM / TRUNK:
    Single trunk or multi-trunk.
    BARK:
    Somewhat smooth, light gray to dark gray.
    EXPOSURE:
    Full sun; Hardiness: Sunset zones: 14, 17 - 21, 24.
    SOIL:
    Well drained.
    WATER:
    Low water needs.
    PESTS/DISEASES:
    Aphids, scale, sooty mold.
    PRUNING:
    To shape and for clearance.
    PROPAGATION:
    Seed - cutting.
    USES:
    Accent, background, barrier, erosion control, fragrant, right of way, screen, shade, slope, seasonal color, specimen and windbreak.
    COMMENTS:
    Sticky seeds can pose a littler problem.
    I love these trees they also have a lot of them in San Luis Obisbo, I was just there a couple of weeks ago and they were all in bloom, they smell wonderful!
    Is this the flower?
    {{gwi:786409}}

• 19 years ago

angelsmell,

I've seen the Pittosporum you've mentioned around my work neighborhood. It smells wonderful! But I don't think it's the same one as the one I was looking at in Stanford.

I still have to find time to get to the mall again with my digital camera!

From one picture I found on the web of the Osmanthus Burkwoodii that Ron B mentioned - that one might be it, but I'll have to go and look again.

I was hoping one of the garden shopaholics in this area might have just known what it was. :)

• 19 years ago

Wonder if they are Murraya paniculata (Orange Jessamine).
    I think there are some in SF near the Marina Safeway.

• 7 years ago

Bradford Pears?