Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tony4865

starting seeds 'no growing medium'

17 years ago

HI EVERYONE.....!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST NEW IN THIS FORUM, HOPE TO HERE AND LEARN FROM YOU ALL.

DOES ANYBODY HERE KNOWS HOW TO START SEEDS IN AEROPONICS WITH NO GROWING MEDIUM? JUST HOLDING THE SEED ON A

DEGRADABLE MESH, OR JUST BY HOLDING IT WITH A NEOPRENE

HOLDER (SUSPEND IT IN AIR)??????

I ALWAYS BUY THE PLANTS (PEPPERS) WASH ALL THE DIRT, FLUSH

IT WITH WATER 30 MINUTES ON/OFF, NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM WITH

THIS, BUT I WANT TO START THEM FROM SEED AND THIS IS WHERE AM HAVING PROBLEMS, THEY SPROUT, GROW AN INCHE OR

SO, THEN THEY DIE. NO MATTER IF I USE PLAIN WATER OR FERTILIZER, OR ANY ON/OFF PUMP SETUP.

A FRIEND TOLD ME THAT THEY WERE TOO WET, THIS IS WHY THEY

WERE'NT GROWING ANY ROOTS AT ALL, THEN I PUT THEM ON THE

DRY SIDE, BUT THEY DIDN'T GROW AT ALL, AND JUST DIE ON ME.

MAYBE AM MISSING SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

TONY.

Comments (10)

• 17 years ago

Please turn off your caps key....it looks like you are angry at everyone.....

• 17 years ago

didn't know caps key could make me angry at everyone ?????
    was looking more to get help on my type of problem rader
    than to talk about caps key. but thank you.....!!!!!!!!!!

Tony.

• 17 years ago

Also your punctuation; please keep it in check. It's basic internet etiquette, that's all. Caps means yelling, extra punctuation means stressing the effect of the punctuation. Just seems like you're angry and agitated.

• 17 years ago

Sorry, am not angry or neither agitated, however my English is terrible and am still in the learning process here. So I apologies for any inconvenient I have cause.

Tony.

• 17 years ago

I think your best bet would be to start the seeds in perlite, let them get a few inches tall, and them transfer them to your aeroponics system. Perlite is excellent for starting seeds and washes off easily.

• 16 years ago

Thank you...

Sorry for not writing before, I was very busy at work.
    will tried perlite for starting seed very soon, again.

Thank you.
    Tony

• 16 years ago

I use little dixie cups with holes in them. I put a mix of perlite and coco noir, which actually is coconut husk. You can find it in a hydroponics store. Plant the seeds shallow and stand the cups in a nutrient solution so the coco absorbs the water and stays moist. Works like a charm
    Mitch

• 16 years ago

You can use peat pellets to seatrt the seeds then transfer to hydrophonics when seedling are 6in tall.

• 16 years ago

What are the conditions where you are starting your seeds? Too wet (and too little O2 in the liquid) tends to cause damping off where the plants sprout then just fall over. Too dry and they are likely to shrivel/crisp up and die. However if they are in one of those little sprouting trays with the clear dome cover and you stick them under a grow light, they are probably just being cooked. It gets really hot in an enclosed plastic container under a light (it doesn't even have to be sealed well, it still gets hot.)

I have been starting most of my seeds in either perlite or cotton balls floating on styrofoam food packaging in very weak (cf of like 4) nutrient with an air bubbler.

• 16 years ago

With aeroponics, the deleterious effects of seed stocks that are infected with pathogens can be minimized. As discussed above, this is due to the separation of the plants and the lack of shared growth matrix. In addition, due to the enclosed, controlled environment, aeroponics can be an ideal growth system in which to grow seed stocks that are pathogen-free.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydroponics Information