Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stpaullee

tall, shade tolerant evergreen

18 years ago

Well, as the subject says, I'm looking for a tall, shade tolerant evergreen. On the north side of my house I would like to find an evergreen that can scale the wall down some. My other option is to string supports and plant some kind of vine, but again most of those prefer the sun; so I'm in something of a quandry. Any ideas? Thank you.

Comments (8)

• 18 years ago

You could try a Canadian Hemlock such as one called Emerald Fountain (Tsuga canadensis 'Monler'). It grows to about 10 feet (if that's tall enough) and 3 feet wide. Hemlocks like shade especially during the hot part of the day. I have never grown one since my yard bakes in the sun, but have heard Hemlocks can be a little touchy. I saw this plant at a few nurseries last year and thought it was beautiful. The shape could be described as columnar with a slight weeping habit. Very soft texture.

• 18 years ago

Taxus x media 'Viridis' is a tall, narrow, slow growing yew that does well in shade

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1044391}}

• 18 years ago

And I think arborvitae rounds out your choices for tall, shade-tolerant evergreens. I don't have any specific cultivars to suggest but I'm sure you can get that easily enough from google or nurseries. Good luck! Sounds like it will soften the look at that end of the house.

• 18 years ago

Thank you all very much. I have a few months to figure out what I'm going to go with so I have time to research further. Thank you for a great start!

• 18 years ago

I have a native cedar voulenteer that needs a new home..... Would you consider it as well? It is quite cute- and is about 3' tall now and grows in almost complete shade right now- it should continue to do well in shade for years to come! I think it's parents are growing under the boughs of a huge old oak and cottenwood tree in the back- they are quite tall and have a nice conical structure to them. The main trunk of these have a very nice texture to them- a very nice brown stringy papery look. It would only cost a little sweat to dig it up...
    Julie

• 18 years ago

Hi Julie.
    I would love to have your tree if stpaullee doesn't.
    I'm located south of the river.
    Please let me know.
    I sent you an email as well.
    thanks,

-jasper

• 18 years ago

Thanks Julie. That's a very nice offer you make. I'll tell you what, if you are in the north--I'll take it. If you are in the south--go ahead and let Jasper have it. You can reach me at stpaullee@hotmail.com or MSN messenger (stpaullee). God bless you for your generosity!

• 18 years ago

Maybe I can help you both!!
    Julie

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting